You are here

Extreme Behaviours, I’ve stopped liking my step kids

Frustratedstepparent's picture

A little backstory I met my now husband when my step kids were 3 & 5. I quickly came to realize that their BM was a narcissist and neglectful. The kids asked to call me mom within the first year and my stepson quickly became a stepmama’s boy. Despite our best efforts we have not been able to protect them from their BMs neglect. They are on a 50/50 schedule and spend most of the time in third party care when with BM or are taken care of by their half sister who is now15 and by their account is not nice to them. There have been ongoing issues of neglect and abuse and it’s lead to a lot of trauma and behaviour issues. She doesn’t know their clothing sizes, she’s never taken them to any of their doctors, dentist or eye appointments, she doesn’t throw them birthday parties, etc. A revolving door of boyfriends, many of whom she’s tried to insist they call dad, has caused a lot of issues. A social worker has been present since the kids were small but is involved only with the BM and has not been effective in making positive change. I loved my step kids from the start and my heart broke for what they are going through. At 5 my stepdaughter told my mother upon meeting her that her real mom doesn’t really love her and my stepson has told me more than once he was glad that he had me as a mom because at least he has one mom who takes care of him properly. I never know what to say to these things, I don’t want to give them false hope and lie so I just tell them how sorry I am. Their dad and I have tried our best to help them with their communication and relationship with their BM, sticking firmly to reality instead of trying to give them false hope to move them to accept that not everyone is the same and that we need to accept that and find ways to essentially make lemons out of lemonade. Fast forward to the present they are 7&9 (almost 8&10) and their behaviours are off the chart. They are desperate for their BMs love and approval and for her to pay attention to them so they lie about what’s going on to social workers. My stepdaughter has lied about us to their social worker to try and please her BM (luckily the worker knew what was going on) and that really broke our relationship. She’s become a bully to less fortunate kids and steals. My stepson especially has had so many issues at school with extreme behaviours and it looks like he may be kicked from hockey for his behaviours we have pulled out all the stops for them both. we have taken seminars and read countless books and spend so much time and money on them (not really on things but on activities). He’s had numerous assessments to get him diagnosed to get him the proper help and we have spent so much money. They both now have therapists that cost 600$ a month. She’s in guides and he’s in hockey and BM agreed to take them to their activities on her time but never does. We have gone into major debt fighting for them in court and with mediators and to try get them all this help. This was mostly at the urging of my husband. Because BM is a narcissist she tries to create trouble at every opportunity. At this point I feel so guilty because I’ve detached emotionally from them. I know they both love me and their father but they cause non stop trouble and it’s exhausting to deal with. I’ve begun to resent them and I dread when they come home. They have become cruel and disrespectful. They are best behaved when in our home but it’s exhausting to manage them and it’s constant issues to deal with school. We are doing everything we can for them but not seeing any improvement and can’t make any headway with their BM. I’m at my whits end because this has gone on for years. We had another child recently and they love him, but I’m so scared for him because of the atmosphere and disfunction they bring into the house. I wanted to be able to have two babies, that’s what my husband and I agreed on when we decided to get married, but their behaviours require so much from us, we have gone into so much debt to support them, and my husband now has to work a lot of overtime so it’s a lot at home put on me so now there’s really no possible way to responsibly have another child which breeds even more resentment. This wasn’t what I signed up for and I really don’t know what to do anymore. I love my husband, he is a wonderful father and partner but resentment towards him as well is starting to creep in. I just feel constant guilt but Im also angry and so burnt out. Any advice would be helpful. 

ESMOD's picture

Have their therapists given you any indication what the issues are?  How much of the parenting do you do vs your DH?  These are his bio kids.. and maybe he could step up more to focus on them....  It sounds like a difficult situation, but they are still young.. and I guess there could be some hope that they will eventually have some progress with therapy?  Maybe new therapists.. if you haven't seen any progress with the ones you are seeing now?

Frustratedstepparent's picture

We have a diagnosis of mood Dysregulation disorder for my stepson, is a depressive disorder. He also has an auditory processing disorder. That was from the assessment we had done. I stepdaughter doesn't have a formal diagnosis. Their therapists do play therapy with them and we participate in some of it to gain strategies. I know our daughter is talking to her therapist but I don't know if it's just fluff or she's actually getting somewhere. In the past we've had councelling for her which was all rainbows and butterflies because she's just silly during sessions and doesn't talk about what's going on. My SS doesn't talk at all about anything to anyone. Sometimes he will say a few things to his father and I but it's rare. Parenting is equal but I do better with the talking things through with them. Our goal from the start was to be equal partners and never make them feel like 'just his kids,' that instead they just got a second mom who is there no matter what just like a real mom would be. Because our parenting styles and values are the same nothing changes in terms of rules or dicipline when I became their parent, the only changes we've made have been since then to try and improve things. Sadly where we are help is limited so we have pretty much exhausted all therapy avenues. 

Harry's picture

And most likely has other mental illnesses. Passed to her kids.  Your SK need psychiatric help. Hope you are finding a group of good Dr. to help them

BanksiaRose's picture

They're approaching adolescence and it looks like some of their underlying mental disorders inherited from mother are starting to show up. For example, there's a clear genetic link for antisocial traits/oppositional defiant disorder as well as ADHD, which often also manifests as impulsive aggression and lack of empathy. 

They might have been cute angels before the hormones started to kick in, but now you're starting to get glimpses of things to come. It's up to you how you decide to deal with it, but if there's any chance to offload these kids before they make some false allegations, you should strongly consider that.

Thumper's picture

Welcome to st

That  is a lot. 

If you plan on remaining married to your husband, there is a very long road ahead for you.

Mom will not change and the kids have severe mental health problems. ---Looking far into the future, perhaps they will not be able to self-support when the age out-, leaving you and dad to possibly pay life long child support via a court order.  

Was BM convicted of child abuse and neglect?, ever? 

Heres the thing, sometimes things are bigger than we are.

What do YOU want your life to look like this year, next year and the next?   Are you willing to set aside mostly everything for your husbands and BM's chidren? 

It's really up to you to decide what YOU want to do. . Remember this is your life too. Just not theirs. 

Please keep us informed. We are here for you Smile

Rags's picture

Stop jumping through your own asses backwards and immediately establish and enforce standards of behavior and standards of performance to hold them to.

What BM does you can do nothing about if taking custody is not an option. So don't waste your time and money.

That said, rules, boundaries, standards, and escalating consequences that deliver an ever increasing state of abject misery if the SKids violate those rules, boundaries, and standards.

Lather.... rinse..... repeat.