You are here

Desperately need advice from veteran Step mums

Lozzy92's picture

Hi everyone,

I live in Australia so if some of my spelling/words dont make sense that's probably why. 

So my husband who has been estranged from his two children for about 5 years (they live in New Zealand) due to their mother being absolutely crazy!! Like letting him pick them up and then threatening to call the Police and telling them he kidnapped his own kids! Anyway after years of this and failed attempts at gaining full custody he gave up. Well last week his sister called (also lives in nz) saying CYFS (Child youth and family) had contacted her and was going to take the kids off the mother as she is on meth, dating a guy who assulated my husbands son and living out of motels. So long story short they're living with my husbands sister until something more permanent can be sorted like coming to live with us if the birth mother doesnt sort herself out. My husband and I have been fighting constantly about this as we have a 5 month old daughter and we are really not in the position to take on 2 kids who have severe behavioral issues. Dont get me wrong my heart breaks for these poor kids but no one has stopped to ask how I'm feeling about this or the impact this will have on our daughter. My husband told me it wasnt about me when I expressed this. There is no doubt they should be coming to live with us as we cant let them go back to that crazy woman but I would like him and his family to appreciate my position in this as well. I've never parented 8 and 9 year olds and I'm worried my daughter will be negatively impacted by all of this. How do I stop arguing with my husband and feeling like our life is about to be turned upside down? I'm terrified we're going to separate and my daughter wont have the family I've always wanted for her. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

While the situation of a partner's kid(s) randomly showing up forever is unique to step situations, having your world turned upside down by random events is not.

How would you handle this if it were your DH's parent with dementia? Would you welcome them with open arms, even though their behavior will be erratic at best and the timeline for how long they will stay will be indeterminate?

These kids are unwell because they have been abused. They are the responsibility of your husband to raise now that BM no longer can. Unfortunately, as a stepparents, our wants in this situation don't hold a candle to the needs of our partner's kid(s). Whether you like it or want it, your husband has to deal with it.

Is it unfortunate that it will impact you and, by extension, your daughter? Yes. However, this is one of those low points in a relationship that you just have to push through. You have a right and reason to complain and be scared, but you need to pick someone else to share your thoughts and feelings with, like venting on here or talking to a counselor.

Your DH doesn't need or want more negativity at the moment. His kids, who he probably grieved losing as if they had died, are now back for...a week? Month? Year? Forever? He is not only faced with the prospect of being a dad to three kids, but potentially losing the oldest two again like before. He's faced with two kids who may hate him and purposefully make his life hell. He is now also faced with the possibility of his wife leaving and taking his other child. That's A LOT of stress.

Basically, right now, it isn't about you and your feelings. I rarely say that to a stepparents, but you need to step back and SUPPORT your DH versus looking to be the one who is supported. I highly encourage you all to find individual counselors, especially for you so you have someone to talk to and vent your frustration to. If you want to save your marriage, you need to support your DH and cope with your feelings of wanting something different from reality. Once the kids are with you all, THEN you can start worrying about how it makes you feel.

I'm not saying you can't feel these things. I'm just saying you're using the wrong outlet.

TwoOfUs's picture

I totally disagree. 

In a couple, people can be mutually supportive. It doesn't have to be one or the other. OP can support her husband and, in turn, he is also capable of listening, reflecting, responding to her concerns in a kind way...and supporting her, too. I hate that we expect women to get pulled ten different directions and support multiple people in their lives at once...but we give men a pass on this. He can't possibly be expected to deal with the situation with HIS kids and also be supportive of his wife and new child (but wife can totally be expected to deal with the situation with HIS kids, nurse her own 5-month-old in the middle of the night, go to work, AND support her husband through this transition. What kind of BS is that?) 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Mutually supportive doesn't mean equally supportive.

I'm assuming her DH is still working while also considering his two older kids, his sister, his wife, his infant, and the court system. For the time being, I think OP can and should do what she can to support him in this crisis and find an external outlet to cope with her emotions.

I would advise the same of her DH if OP had to move a parent into her house to care for them while they are dying. DH may not like it, but his wife would be suffering enough. Finding an external source to vent to and find coping mechanisms is imperative in situations like that.

I'm not saying she smile and take it forever. I'm just saying to deal with this until the dust settles.

TwoOfUs's picture

Ah. I understand your point better now. Yes. I think an outside counselor or close friend would work wonders in this situation. 

As I posted below, my sister had a similar situation, and she vented to me a lot because I am a stepmom, too. I STILL think her husband could have done a lot more to help her in the situation, though (as much as I love my BIL and think he's a great dad)...and I do get upset when bio-dads are given a pass on being supportive and kind to their wives just bc they have kids. As you know, we see that expectation in society frequently. 

But, yes. For the short-term, crisis moment....it may be best for OP to seek validation outside of her husband until the dust settles. 

ESMOD's picture

I don't know.. I think OP while of course would want to be "heard" feels like there is actually an option her.

"we aren't equipped to take on two kids"... "No one is asking how I feel about it".  Well...perhaps because as cold as it sounds.. whether she is against taking his children in or not really is not relevant and isn't a position that has any traction as a solution.  If his kids are in jeopardy with their mother then of course their biological father should step up and take custody.  It sounds like his EX made maintaining a relationship difficult to the point where he gave up.  But that doesn't undo the fact that he is the children's father.  I mean, how would you feel theoretically if you thought your DH would ditch your 5 month old if you passed away or were unable to care for her because his new wife didn't feel equipped to take your daughter on?

While I do definitely think OP's husband should assure her that things will work out and that he will be very present caring for the kids... I think it's unfair to even ask the question "do they have to  come here".  Now, of course if there are specific concerns that involve how those concerns will be handled (like where will two new kids sleep etc.. who will run them to school) yes, of course she should be involved.. .but she can't tell him that he can't take custody of the kids because it messes up what she thought was a pretty sweet life.  Well, she can tell him that but expect him to basically tell her that this isn't a choice he has.. and neither does she.  Either go along for the ride or don't.

elkclan's picture

I wonder how DH's sister feels about having two kids dropped on her? Sounds like she's dealing with it. And you will have to as well. 

But you will also have to need to put in place absolutely as much support as you can. Professional. Family. Friends. Other people to talk to and vent to. 

And you will have to pick your moments about when you have really essential discussions like who is doing the childcare for the older two, who is going to pick up the extra domestic responsibilities, etc. A lot of guys (including my ex) assume that because you're a woman you'll do it all - and that's not fair and will lead to burnout and resentment. 

Another way to look at the impact on your daughter is - what would the impact be on her if dad has to choose between her and the older kids who don't have another reliable parent? What would be the impact on her if she finds out later that dad chose to ignore his duty to her elder siblings because you were having a (an understandable) wobble? 

Yes, this sucks. 

ldvilen's picture

Hi Lozzy92!  Hugs to you!  You definitely need some.  I am a veteran.  Hopefully, more will respond to your post.  Some more experienced than I and with children of their own.

You made this comment, "No one has stopped to ask how I'm feeling about this or the impact this will have on our daughter."  That, very unfortunately, is the life of a SM.  Pretty much, no one EVER asks you how you feel about the impact any move from someone in the initial family will have on you, whether that impact may be large or small.  You are not the first here to have your world shaken upside down when what you thought was going to be a part-time SM situation suddenly became a permanent one.

There are many points to be taken with this argument.  It is correct that random events can occur in any marriage or relationship to throw the world's biggest wrench into it.  But, I'm going to tackle this from the SP side or SM side, because it is so rare for anyone to see that side and to address it, and that is what most of us come here for. 

Going back to your comment, ""No one has stopped to ask how I'm feeling about this or the impact this will have on our daughter."  All I can tell you, is you are very correct about this stmt., but, on the other hand, in this type of situation, no one ever will.  When it comes to divorce and custody, the court system only looks at the children of that divorce and only looks at the parents of those children.  And, in many ways, you can see why.  So, as a SP, you will never get any empathy there.  I know you are expecting empathy from your own husband.  Of course, what woman wouldn't?, but as pointed out above, he wanted to rescue his children a long time ago, and now, in his eyes, he has been given the opportunity.

I'm going on and on here somewhat, but I guess what I'm trying to so politely say is that you are basically screwed.  BUT, before you get ticked off at me, believe me, I know where you are coming from.  There are many SMs here who have found themselves in similar situations where some huge humungous divorce fallout comes their way, and they are left out in the stark cold, naked and afraid, so to speak.  But, sometimes you only have two choices: Take it or leave it.

It is not a bad idea at all for you to see a counselor, even if it is on your own.  You are wise to suspect that there could be a lot of anxiety on everyone's part coming your family's way, and a counselor can help you to prepare and deal with all of this.  Actually, you and your DH and the kids should all be getting some kind of assistance with this.  BUT, I'm not saying you and your own daughter have to bear the brunt of all of this, either.  I'd suggest you talk this over with your DH and counselor and work out something like you'll give this a year and then touch base and see where it goes from there.  Sometimes it is easier to get thru things if you take it a year at a time vs. you are stuck with this now forever!  However, at the end of the day, it may come down to you having to make that ultimate choice of take it or leave it.  Your head is full of "what if" scenarios right now, and I'm the same way.  Try to break those down and take things one day a time for a while.  What ifs certainly don't always occur.  Hugs to you again and take care!!

CompletelyPuzzled's picture

As a stepmom who had her DH's kids suddenly move in full-time, I can definitely sympathize. You are right that it will turn your life upside down.  The best advice I can give you is to force your DH to sit down and establish rules and boundaries before they come to live with you.  This is key to making it through this hard time.  Let your DH know what behaviors you expect from him and the kids.

Also, have a therapist lined up for the kids before they come to live with you.  These kids haven't had a good upbringing and their probably scared and confused. Despite the fact that their mom is garbage, she is all they know so this is likely traumatic for them.  They are going to need someone to talk too. Try to remember that these kids didn't ask for this.  A little empathy can go a long way.

This will definitely test the strength of your marriage, but you can get through it if you and your DH are both willing to work hard and communicate.

Maxwell09's picture

No one is ever fully prepared to be a stepparent at any time or age in their/kid’s life. It sounds harsh but you started this blog by stating dad didn’t have his kids because of BM, well BM isn’t standing in his way now is she? And you don’t know these kids. Five years is a long time for change, they will have issues but they might surprise you too. The sister didn’t birth these kids and they need to go to dad. And I would even suggest dad taking off to NZ to spend a week or two with them to help them adjust and get their school & medical sorted out before uprooting them to bring them back. The best you can do is try to have a little sympathy and help them adjust. 

TwoOfUs's picture

My sister had nearly this exact same scenario happen to her, except it was only one kid. She and her DH had just recently had a baby girl when DSS showed up on their doorstep with a 5-year-old kid that they said was DH's. Mom had been caught driving under the influence of meth with three kids by three different guys in the car. She and DH had dated in high school, but he didn't know about this kid. 

They did a DNA test. Kid was his. They took him in. 

My sister had a really, really hard time with it. In part, she felt that her joy over her new marriage and her new baby had been stolen from her. Her DH was ex-marine, so empathy was not his strong suit...and they nearly separated over it many times. Then came the nightmare of trying to get full custody...and the BM and Grandma making their life h*** trying to get the kid back. 

It's going on 8 years later, now. My nephew is stb13...he came to them unable to tie his shoe, count to 10, sleep on his own, or go to the bathroom by himself...all kinds of developmental delays from neglect. He's now in honors programs at school, super athletic...a really great kid. 

It was very, very hard for my sister...and the fact that her husband got defensive and never seemed to see her perspective or sympathize with her at all didn't help matters. I think there are some men who are super matter-of-fact. This is my kid. I'm going to do the right thing. It's 'not about you' etc. My sister's heart opened up to this kid when she had her son, who is about to be 5 and absolutely worships his big brother. I think her DH could have helped her warm to the kid a lot sooner with just a smidge more understanding and empathy. 

Your DH would do well...assuming you're going to get these kids...he would do well to empathize with you and hear you out and do his best to minimize the effects on you as much as possible to start out. It will make life better...not only for you but also for him and these kids if he's able to provide you with some support and structure. I imagine it would do you a world of good just to hear something from him along the lines of: "I know this is going to be a huge change to our household, and I'm really sorry about that. I promise...it doesn't take anything away from our baby together or the family we're building." 

Sometimes I wonder if men are just giant babies or giant jerks or giant idiots when they're unwilling to soften these hard life blows even the tiniest bit for their wives. It's like they want to get left... 

lieutenant_dad's picture

This is mostly a devil's advocate reply, but who is softening the blow for these dads?

I do understand the need for empathy on all sides, but I really think in the situation the OP presented, she needs to take a step back and be the first empathetic voice her DH hears. Yes, it is hard on OP, but it is equally hard (probably harder) on her DH.

This is going to come out somewhat cold, but as SPs, we make a choice to be with someone who has kids, and we accept all the follies that entails. It doesn't make it easy, and it does mean that there should be empathy directed towards us for taking on the added responsibility.

However, in crisis, it isn't about us or our feelings on the situation. These types of crises are the ones we knew could happen, even if the chances were slim. During these crises, we don't get to cry "woe is me" because we CHOSE this possibility.

That isn't to say that we can't have negative feelings about the situation. That doesn't mean we have to be a Stepford Wife and smile through it. But it does mean that the empathy typically directed towards us needs to shift through crisis.

Your sister got hit with the double-whammy of having a SS who dad didn't even know about. That's a pain for BOTH, and I agree that her DH needed to have an abundance of empathy for her as she never signed up for step life. 

In this situation, though, I think OP needs to be the strong one and support her DH until the crisis part is over.

TwoOfUs's picture

Well, yes...in my sister's case, that wasn't true. She did not knowingly choose it. But in general I agree. 

However, where do you read in OP's post that she isn't being the first empathetic voice her DH hears? Why are you assuming she ISN'T 'softening the blow' for him? She's told us that he is specifically and directly not softening it for her in any way...to the point of telling her that her feelings don't matter. It doesn't seem that she is telling him that his feelings, or the feelings of the kids or the rest of the family don't matter...she's said that her heart breaks for him and these kids...so it seems to me that she is expressing empathy.  

This seems to me to be the age-old stepmom dilemma. Everyone matters but you...and don't you dare forget it or complain...not just in crisis but all the time. I agree that perhaps she should table her feelings or put them on the back burner until the crisis is over...but that could also set a dangerous precedent for her, so I don't know. 

In practical terms, she is absolutely softening the blow just by being married to this guy. You think she won't be providing any care, finances, time, or other resources for these kids? Get real. In my sister's case, her husband was recently back from Iraq and deeply depressed when this happened, and she was the only one working...so not only did she take on an unknown 5-year-old, but she paid for everything, too. She did a lot of the primary care. She and her family (me and my other siblings) paid the court costs to get full custody. Lots of blow softening there. 

Her DH pulled through it and is now a great dad and strong provider who we all love...but a little empathy and understanding and willingness to listen to her concerns would not have been misplaced in this situation. 

In OP's case...she will be providing something for her DH that he can literally never repay. Support, care, etc. for kids that aren't hers. She will likely do this without ever seeing a penny of CS from the kids' mom. (My sister and her husband never have). What part of that reads as 'no blow softening' to you? 

ESMOD's picture

If her opinion being stated to him is "we aren't equipped to take on these kids".. she is somewhat presenting this to him as one option would be to not take the kids on... because it will be hard. 

So, if she says "I don't want to have to take on these kids.. we aren't equipped.. it will be too hard with a 5 month old etc.." His response is of course going to be "well, what you want doesn't matter..because these are my kids and if I have to take them in to keep them safe... I will do that. period".  Now, he could say it nicer or more harshly.. but the bottom line is that sometimes there are situations where our preferences will not amount to a hill of beans and this is one of them.

Now could he be more reassuring that he will not stick her with all the hard work?  sure.. but I don't think he can tell her what she wants to hear and that is that he will not take in his biological children.

And... of course, they weren't planning for this.  I'm sure it's horrid timing.. I'm sure it is fraught with all sorts of worries.  I'm sure that financially it will be a burden and that it will mean that everyone will have to make due with less.  All of those things are unfortunate, but it's like asking the sky to not rain on your wedding day.  If it's raining.. it's raining.  He can't and won't turn his back on his kids... I'm sure he already was conflicted enough about not seeing them due to his high conflict EX.  I know that OP didn't go into her marriage thinking this was going to be the outcome... but I don't think that morally her husband has a choice in this and she probably needs to not ask him to do things that are not possible (abandon his kids again).

ldvilen's picture

Very true 2ofus, “This seems to me to be the age-old stepmom dilemma. Everyone matters but you...and don't you dare forget it or complain...not just in crisis but all the time. I agree that perhaps she should table her feelings or put them on the back burner until the crisis is over...but that could also set a dangerous precedent for her, so I don't know.”

This is also somewhat true: “as SPs, we make a choice to be with someone who has kids, and we accept all the follies that entails. . . and it does mean that there should be empathy directed towards us for taking on the added responsibility.”  No, we don’t have to accept ALL the follies that entails, nor should we be expected to.  That is what boundaries are for.  When I married a man with children, I did NOT sign on to put up with all of his family’s shiatsu and bruises free of charge.  I married him expecting him to be my husband.  I did not marry him expecting having to settle for sloppy seconds, a lesser-wife.  No one should expect this of a woman in the year 2018.

But, I don’t think that is quite the point that was meant to be made.  Re: DH’s children, yes, of course, he has a moral obligation to take them in, and that is why I gave the advice I did above to the OP.  It’d be nice if there were “empathy directed towards us for taking on the added responsibility.”  But, really, how often does that occur!?  Many a times, SMs don’t even get this from their own DHs, much less anyone else.  The OP stated, “I would like him and his family to appreciate my position in this as well.”  Unfortunately, no they won’t.  Not only that, but they will actually think there is something wrong with her for not being just as thrilled and as excited as DH is to have his children back.

The most likely scenario is she will work her a$$ off to try to make things work for her husband and SKs and her own child and will be thought of as Evil SM by everyone in her DH’s family. She may even have to forgo having any more children of her own, because everyone will be pointing out to her that ‘how can she even think of having more, now with DH’s two.”  That is the more likely scenario.  Yet, I agree, DH is obligated all the way to take in his children and to try to do the best for them.  And, that is why I said above, she is screwed.  She doesn’t have a lack of empathy or isn’t being kind enough or whatever else you want to call it.  She knows she is screwed and is trying to find a way to deal with this, and earnestly would like someone to have some empathy for her.  But, we all know because of the way society in general looks at SMs, pretty much all over the world, this will not occur.  Heck, it isn’t really even occurring here on a website meant for SPs to vent.

That is why she can only try to do the best she can, get help where she can, and stick it out as long as she can.  But, at the end of the day, if she reaches her max., it will come down to take it or leave it, and if she eventually does decide to leave it, no one should blame her.