You are here

SS is 10, not 4!

mimi719's picture

I think at his mom's, everyone talks to him like he is 4, since he is the youngest. He comes here, and TALKS like he's four. It makes me nuts that DH feeds into it sometimes.

I know. I'm not a parent. What do I know? I've called him out on it plenty of times. DH has, too. It always comes back - generally on the first day back from mom's.

mimi719's picture

Haha, I think I'll get some baby food. We often see him do it at dinner. Perfect. Thank you.

childlessSM's picture

Actually, Coconut, your suggestion totally worked for me! My husband's daughter would come back from her mom's acting babyish (she's 9). I couldn't take it. It was annoying, but more importantly, it was doing her no good - as you point out, her peers at school thought it was weird.

So one day, when she started in on the baby stuff, I rushed at her with my arms open, saying, "oh my iddle widdle baby, come here baby, do you need your diaper changed?" She yelped and ran away from me, laughing, as I chased her around the house telling her I was going to "wrap her up in her iddle baby blankie and get her a bottle!"

It was all in fun, but it worked. I did that only a few more times and - along with new rules at our house that encouraged her independence - she stopped the baby stuff.

instantfamily's picture

Obnoxious!!! X 100. I hate this and SD7 does it all the time. Her new thing when she asks for something (no matter how small) and she hears "no", she says "Waaah!". Who in heck told her that was a cute/funny/cool thing to say?? Not us for sure. We've told her it is really annoying and she continues to do it with the stuck out lip thing. I hate that.

Slender bright's picture

OMG SD7 does the same thing, talks to me like an adult then turns and talks to her father like she is 3
thanfully he HATES it and nipps it everytime.

mimi719's picture

Yes! I think at the other house (BM's), it must be treated as cute. It's soooo not. Thank you all.

jdpalfi's picture

SS5 comes home from BM's house and does shit like this. He will make his voice really squeaky and talk to SS2 like he's a newborn. He said BM does it, surprise. Between this, and SS2 still getting bottles at BM's house I'm going nuts. Everytime BM drops them off, SS2 has a bottle, one time I took the bottle from him in front of BM and said really nicely, ohh hunny you're getting too old for a bottle, lets go get you a cup... JAW DROPPED. haha she didn't know what to do or say, I have now thrown away 16 bottles that she has brought over. Our house is bottle free, and almost sippy cup free.