You are here

How Do You Deal with "Transition Days"

childlessSM's picture

My husband and I call Mondays our "transition days" because that's when he either picks up his daughter from school for her week with us or drops her off at school for her week with her mom.

I recognize that the "switch" between households is often really hard on the kids, so for the past two years, I've put all my energy into making it as easy for my husband's daughter as possible. Thing is, I've recently allowed myself to admit that it's hard on me, too.

Here's a post I wrote about "transition days" and why they're tough: http://childlessstepparent.wordpress.com/2012/12/18/love-your-stepchildr...

How do you deal with your transition days?

childlessSM's picture

Ah yes, "the witching hour" - that's a good word for it. I know that it happens in both homes. I experienced it as a child - we went back and forth every six months for 10 years. Really, really hard.

I guess what I was hoping to hear about (what I included in my blog post) is how stepparents deal with their own feelings about switch/transition days?

childlessSM's picture

BLM, sounds like you and your DH are a good team - and it's still really hard! Kudos for staying true to what sounds like a smart approach.

You know what I wonder? This is just an aside, but I've read so many SPs here who suffer because they try to enforce reasonable rules with their SKids and the SKids have next to no rules with BMs. Do you think it's easier for the BMs on the other end? I'm just curious: do they complain that the SKids come back with all these new ways of doing things, expectations of themselves that the BMs have to work to undo?!