You are here

Feeling alone

Alice_tallis's picture

Hi I'm new here so I won't use all the abbreviations as I'm sure to mess them up. A little background on my relationship, my boyfriend and I met and instantly fell hard for one another, then four months into the best relationship of my life, a women showed up at our door with an infant belonging to my boyfriend. He had no idea the child existed, she had told him she had an abortion which resulted in the relationship ending. My SD is now four. So when we got the news our relationship continued for several weeks until after much discussion and heartbreak on both our parts, I decided to step away as I had no intention of standing in the way of what could be a family. The next nine months were rough with the BM moving back in but my boyfriend and I still talked and saw each other occasionally. Finally, we decided to give it another try our 3 year anniversary is coming up this summer. At first I was o.k. with adjusting to him having his daughter for apprx. 12 days a month. Later that year BM gave up and granted him guardianship so she has pretty much been here full time ever since. At first it was an o.k. adjustment, still difficult considering all we had been through in the past year. At least at this point he was still making an effort to make me feel important.The following year I moved to a city nearly 5 hours away to continue my education, the two of them came down on his days off, he works shift work so we still spent the same amount of time together. That summer I stayed home to look after my SD. Which was difficult for me as I couldn't work and have always been financially independent. Slowly it has felt like he puts less and less effort into our relationship and I know and understand that I will never be his first priority but I am beginning to feel like I am no longer a priority at all. I recently returned from school and we agreed that I would not be the primary caregiver for my SD this summer as I had a great deal of to prepare for graduate studies. However, our babysitter fell through and he assumed that i would have no problem dropping everything in my life to come to his aid. Now, that being said I have no problem helping out but there are limits and I hate the fact that he has made my priorities and my responsibilities seem like nothing. I understand from a logical perspective that his daughter will always come first and that is how it should be as BM is barely involved but is still very clear on the fact the she is mom. However, it is still hard to deal with. I just feel trapped and alone I can't talk to him about because I am constantly accused of being resentful so he never hears what I'm actually trying to say, never listens to my perspective,or how I feel. To top it all off I will need to move next year to continue my education and BM's parents will fight tooth and nail to keep my SD here. I can't give up my education because I will be resentful and he can't leave with his daughter (nor would I ever ask that of him) so we don't even know if we have a future. Just feeling alone and like I have no one to talk to that will understand my perspective...

nothinforya's picture

You are a convenience to him. I'm sorry that you are feeling so alone. I am much older that you, almost retired, and I can tell you from experience that if you are not prioritized and respected now in this relationship, you will never be. Read more on this site, and you will see all the ways that stepmothers are mistreated. If you can focus on your own needs and your own life now, you won't regret it. There are lots of childless young men who will love to be with a well-educated young woman like you. Don't settle for being the unpaid babysitter.

Alice_tallis's picture

As far as the move goes, the grandparents will use BM as a front. They support her financially so they will have no problem forcing her into challenging our decision to move.

New second wife-step-mom's picture

Sorry you are feeling alone but you need to complete your education. Make choices that will help you in the long run with or without him.

anafiodorova's picture

Get your education and priorities right. You are responsible about you and your own business. Mind your own business. If he wants to be with you he will find a way. It is not your responsibility to figure out how to be with him, accommodate him and his needs and schedule.
Do not feel resentment and anger. He is doing what he knows at this time and he is learning. You take good care of you and focus on getting your education. If he cares and loves you he will find ways to be with you.
Live life and enjoy your journey of getting education and the opportunities that come with it.

Esmerelda's picture

I agree with the other posts here. You've got to put you first. You are right in feeling resentment for the situation he's allowed you to be in. Make sure that you will always be ok if you decide to walk away - if you aren't getting your education, then you won't be ok. Biological kids come first... but so can partners. It doesn't sound like there's much of a practical partnership happening here, even if you do love him to bits, it doesn't make this ok. Take care of yourself and be confident that you are allowed to feel the way you feel. Stand up for it, for you!
Sometimes I feel very alone and resentful that I spend my life and money on step kids that aren't mine, and my husband should be a bit more financially responsible (he still works full time but I'm the breadwinner) considering they're his, tonight was no exception. But I also know he's got my back. I'm allowed to feel overwhelmed and underappreciated, because that's the reality of it some days. Not all days, but some days.
Good luck.