You are here

Day Alone! Woohoo!

mimi719's picture

We all planned to go skiing today. It's our favorite thing to do. Both of my husband's kids were being assholes last night and I'm new to disengaging (so far, I like it!). I woke up a few times in the middle of the night with an upset stomach and decided I would stay home. It's not like me to pass up a ski day. I'm glad I did. I kissed DH goodbye, slept in, got up later and thought - I should watch a chick flick. I've been watching movies all day and loving it. Two more days until they go back to their mom's. Anyway, it was nice to have a day of not witnessing the entitled, rude skids. I'm sure they had a great time just hanging out with their dad. Win-win.

Orange County Ca's picture

Hauling off my kids once a month for the weekend was one technique I used to keep my new wife from over-dosing on them. Excellent quality time since we were out camping which you can do year around in southern California - most of the time anyway.

Encourage him to make day plans a monthly occurance.

mimi719's picture

Yeah, they ride dirt bikes in the Summer. That's THEIR thing. I tend to skip out on going to the in-laws sometimes and opt for a quiet afternoon alone. I used to wonder and care what the in-laws thought, but more often, I don't care and just want the time alone. I also used to hate missing out on something, but time alone is just so awesome.

childlessSM's picture

Yay for you, Mimi! Creating space for yourself and time for the things you enjoy is so important. I used to feel guilty too. Actually, tonight I feel guilty because I'm under the weather and am writing instead of making dinner and helping my stepchild with her homework (old habits die hard).

I love OCC's idea of your husband making it a regular thing - that way, you can plan ahead for this special time for yourself (and not feel guilty!) and he can enjoy time with his kids on his own. That's important, too.

Do you and your husband ever do anything just the two of you when the kids are around? My husband and I haven't done much of that yet, but I think it's important, even if the kids are not with you a lot. It sends a clear message that your relationship is important.

mimi719's picture

Huh, no. Not at all. When they are here, they are number one. How interesting, though. What does that teach them about how to be with their spouse? We tend to have OUR time when they aren't here. Hm. I'm intrigued.