You are here

Abusive Marriage & Stepkids

winterlily's picture

Hello all, I think I am finally strong enough to leave my abusive husband. I have been through enough to write a book, so I will try to keep this as short as possible. I went to a free counselor recently; he just gave me very generic advice, and tried to make me pay to take a personality quiz (along with my husband). I don't have anyone to talk to, so I really need your advice and opinions. I truly appreciate your help.

The Stepkids: I have SS9 and SS11. They live in another state; we only see them on school breaks. I have known them for 3 years now. I am tired of keeping quiet and saying "they're really good boys". They are, for the most part, but there are issues. Neither of them talks to me. When we're alone, they won't even talk out loud and resort to whispering. I have tried to engage them, to talk about video games, to encourage and praise them. It broke my heart at first to see how distant they were. I backed off, instinctively at first, and let them have more alone time with their dad. They seemed threatened by me, and I wanted them to know I wasn't trying to be replacement mom (after much reading I now understand that I'm not the only one to disengage). They are so clingy to DH, esp. SS9. It's good that they love him and I am glad he gets to be part of their life. But even DH tells them to back off, because they are always standing in his way or clinging to him. SS9 still wets the bed & has to wear pull-ups. Every night. We try to limit his liquid intake after 7 or 8pm, and have him pee right before bed, but he still soaks the pull-up & mattress every night. SS11 just wants to be on his laptop all day and gets all mopey if DH takes it away. I know part of that is his age. They have to be told constantly to put their dishes away, throw their trash away, and to wash their hands after they poop. SS9 has a real problem with washing his hands. They don't have major behavioral problems, which makes me feel even worse about not liking them. They won't eat for me, but as soon as DH is home, they're hungry. They don't say my name. One time when DH asked SS9 if he knew my name, he pointed at me, in front of the whole family, and said, "her". I try to be kind and not show my hurts or frustrations, although I'm sure they can tell I'm sad and uncomfortable around them. They are here for the whole summer this year. Honestly, I don't have any love or affection for them, and I can't wait until they go home.

The BM: From what the SS tell us, they have no real direction at home. It sounds like BM just lets them run around wild, spend hours online playing video games (she even told DH that SS11 will stay on until 4am?!), not pick up after themselves, and not learn basic hygiene like hand washing or daily showers. SS11 told my MIL that he sleeps on the floor (!) because he doesn't like his bunk bed. When they visited on winter break, their clothes in the suitcase were mildew-y, they had no coats, no real warm clothes, and their shoes were too small. I think she does this knowing that MIL will buy them stuff. Meanwhile, her new baby with her new man has all sorts of shoes, clothes, and sunglasses. DH wants them to live with us, and I agree that she sounds like a terrible mother, but I just don't know if I can handle it. He wants them to move in when they're teenagers! That would test even the best of marriages.

The husband: He has screamed at me, called me names (bitch, whore, crazy, etc.), broken pictures, smashed a lamp and a chair, slammed his head against the door & punched himself in the head. He accused me of cheating on him (even with coworkers) and would take my phone away to check my internet and text history. Now that I'm not working, he makes me feel guilty and says, "I'M THE ONE who works and makes money for us". He has thrown water in my face, pinned me down on the floor & left a thumb-shaped bruise on my wrist, put his hands around my neck, pushed me down onto the couch and bed, blocked me from leaving, told me he hoped I died on my way to work, said he would kill himself if I left. It happened when he was drunk, but also when he was completely sober. He stopped drinking except for a couple beers several times a month, but the rage and abuse are still there. It doesn't happen every day, or even every week, but I am afraid of my husband. I stupidly thought he would change, which is why I stayed for 3 years. Somehow, in the past few months, any remaining love evaporated. It's just gone. I think I am healthy and strong enough now to leave.

I need advice: I am starting a new job next week. Should I stay and work there for a while until I have enough money saved up to leave? I don't want to leave him while his kids are here, so I have to tough it out until August at least. Even so, my gut and my heart are telling me to just leave now. It all feels so wrong, staying here. I don't really have anywhere to go. I could go to a women's shelter, or my brother's house, but it's gross and dirty and has roaches. DH said he would go to counseling with me, but I think it's too little, too late. When I try to talk to him about how my feelings, like awkward it is to be around his boys, or how he needs to enforce cleaning up after themselves because I don't want to be the bad guy, he gets angry and defensive. He says, "What's wrong with my boys?", "They're good kids and you should feel lucky", or "Blech, why are you always so dark?". He scrunches his face up in a disgusted grimace and tells me to just talk to them and stop being so serious. It all hurts, so very much.

Should I leave now, even though his kids are here? Should I stay until they leave, or stay even longer so I can save up enough for an apartment in a new town? Should we try counseling? Thank you all, so very much.

P.S. I had an abortion in 2012 because of the abuse & now, even though it's not their fault, my skids are my abortion trigger.

Orange County Ca's picture

You may not live that long and I am dead serious. He is psychotic and has already tried to kill you a few times according to what you've written. He just caught himself in time and the next time you may not be so lucky.

What worries you about leaving with the kids there. He'll be embarrassed? Smacking you around didn't embarrass him so this surely won't. He'll lose a babysitter? Give me a break you'll risk your life for that? The kids will have their feelings hurt? These kids don't give one whit about you and will be glad to see you go. Stop worrying about them.

On his next work day get control of the kids phones. Steal them the night before and hide them away. Claim ignorance when they're missing and claim they're pulling a joke on each other. Get your brother to move your stuff to his place for storage or a storage lot. Leave a note, return the kids phones and go to the shelter.

Tell your new boss what you've done and to be alert for him or his car. A picture of both in your phone will help. Tell him to call the police immediately if he shows up.

winterlily's picture

Thank you all for your replies. I know this isn't healthy, and after 3 years and many talks where he's "sorry", nothing has really changed. Just because he doesn't break stuff or push me down anymore doesn't mean it's any better. Just a couple weeks ago, he called me a "f*ing lunatic bitch" for being tired & grouchy & asking him to help me make the bed. Last weekend, while we were all in the car (including both SS), he snapped at me for being "stiff" and not talking. He said, "I'm sick of this. I give it about 2 more weeks and I'm out. Do you hear me?" (later he said, "Oh, they were talking; they didn't notice). He can tell something is wrong with me, and will ask if I'm ok, but in an angry tone of voice. When I asked him later to please not talk like that in front of the kids, he said, "What? I can't make sure you are ok in front of them? I can't show that I care about how you're feeling?". Even when he's not mad, he talks down to me. I found the fingernail clippers that we thought were lost in a sweater pocket, and he said, "Well, you dummy." Again, in front of the kids. Yesterday he told me I was "sick". He always tries to minimize, deny, or blame. All classic stuff, I suppose.

I'm not perfect, but no one deserves to be treated this way. I usually just try to be quiet and pretend that everything is ok, but he can tell something is different. I've stopped reacting in anger when we fight, because then he blames me and tells me all the things I did or said. Last week, when I told him I thought he was controlling, he said my words were like witchcraft & by me speaking that sentence, I was putting a hex on him. When he's really mad he tells me I'm crazy like my schizophrenic mom, or that I'm possessed & have demons. A couple times when he was drunk, he even tried to summon demons to "torment me". But I'm the crazy one. Right.

tog: To answer your question, I didn't have any say in them staying the summer. I knew it was a bad idea, but I had no say. I want him to be able to see his kids, and he would just have gotten angry if I said I thought all summer was too long. We don't have any money right now either, and it is a struggle just to feed them. I wish they were leaving at the end of June instead of the beginning of August.

I don't want to traumatize the kids, though. They've already been through one divorce, I don't want them to see another break-up and think that this is normal or okay (although BM neglects her kids, I can see why she left if this was happening to her too). Is this stupid of me? I just don't want them to see an ugly break-up right before their eyes. Even if I left when they are all out somewhere (which is the only safe way), they will know that I left their dad. Ugh. I wish they weren't here right now.

winterlily's picture

sueu2: Thank you for all the info. I didn't realize the domestic violence shelters provided so much help. I will check into the local options.

Orange County Ca: Thank you for your reply. He never pushed me or broke things in front of them - it was always when we were alone. I guess I just don't want to traumatize them with another divorce. You're right though: they don't give a crap about me. I know they would like it better with just them and dad. I wish I could leave when they are at their mom's house.

Maybe I can talk to BM (ick) and explain that things aren't going well, and the kids need to go home a little early...?

The problem with my new job is that we live in a very small town. I wouldn't feel safe living or working here after I leave. He's known and well-liked because of his job. Getting a new job, it all feels so wrong. (He wants me to add him to my checking account! He doesn't have one because of an overdraft fee at another bank, or something. No way do I want to add him! He used part of my tax return to buy himself stuff, yet my car, which he promised to fix, still has problems.)

He admitted last week that the reason he doesn't want me to see my old friends is because he's afraid we'll start talking, and they will tell me to leave him. Not only is it wrong to keep me from seeing old friends, it shows how stupid he thinks I am. As if I don't already know how awful he is to me.

I feel like I'm living such a lie. I'm tired of pretending that everything is ok.

Amber Miller's picture

My first husband was physically abusive to me. After the first time he hit me, I told him if he ever did it again that I would have him arrested. Well, lo and behold, he beat me up again a couple years later and I called the cops and had him thrown in jail. I pressed charges and didn't wimp out. The police told me that even if I dropped charges that the DA would file anyway. I moved out while he was in jail. He was extremely emotionally abusive and everything was my fault. I used to think that if I was just a better wife and mother that he would treat me better; wrong! It only gets worse and the bad behavior escalates. I see from another persons post that they suggest that he might have borderline personality disorder. Well, I agree. My ex-husband eventually went to a psychiatrist as his second wife forced him. He was diagnosed as having a borderline personality disorder. These people rarely change as they think that it is the rest of the world that has a problem; not them. I am sorry but I do not see your situation getting any better. His kids are not your problem and they sound as if they are following in their fathers footsteps. You do not deserve to be treated like this. I am so glad I left and I strongly advise you to do the same. I am not trying to brag but a couple years after I left I started dating a wonderful man who treats me and my children like gold. He is the love of my life. You too will be able to move on and hopefully meet someone wonderful like I did but you will never be available to receive such a gift if you are tied to this abusive man. Please, please leave. Forget the snotty skids and get the hell out of there. So your brother has cockroaches at his house...........I would rather live with cockroaches than a scumbag who treats me like shit and beats my ass. Cockroaches won't kick your ass and treat you like shit. Good luck to you.

winterlily's picture

Thank you all again, for your kind words. I don't have anyone else to talk to, so I appreciate your advice more than I can say. You are all right.

I am seriously considering moving in with my brother. He just kicked all his roommates out so it would just be me and him. And my wonderful, dog-like cat. My cat that's like a therapy animal. My cat that he once threatened to kill with a hammer. My cat who he said "needs to be put to sleep" in front of his kids.

Once, when we first started dating, he said, "If you ever leave, please just tell me. Please don't just leave when I'm gone like my ex-wife." Maybe, if it happens to him twice, he will think about things. Most likely not. It's not my fault that his dad abused him and he can't trust women because his mom ran off with another man. He's a grown man, and needs to take responsibility and get therapy for his own issues.

winterlily's picture

It was just a thought. I just didn't want his kids to witness a terrible situation. He will most likely scream and break things. They can stay with his mom. She will probably take them when she finds out I'm gone anyway. I'll wait until he is at work, drop them off at her house, get what's important, and leave.

Rags's picture

Nope, pack your crap and call CPS as you drive away. These kids are 9 & 11 not 2 & 4. They will survive a couple of hours alone.

Leave, leave now, don't look back and for sure celebrate your new life and freedom from that shallow and toxic gene pool.

K.C.'s picture

I wonder if your husband treated the bm this way. Leave now! Get to a shelter and they can help you from there. Nothing to be ashamed of by leaving. He is very dangerous!

Rags's picture

Really? :jawdrop: You are contemplating staying beyond this very second? GTFO now!!!!!

Better yet, call a locksmith and put your asshole husband and his toxic spawn out on the street. File an RO and if your asshole husband even looks at you sideways just shoot him. Double tap, center mass, end of issues for eternity.

Why do you give a flying rat's ass about leaving him when his children are in your home? Not your spawn, not your problem.

Go, go now, and never look back. If he kills himself because you left, good riddance.

Take care of yourself.

Good luck.

winterlily's picture

Hey guys, just wanted to provide an update: I called the domestic violence hotline (she was awesome), then talked to the local office. I called a shelter & am planning my escape. I am not going to stay with him. I don't think he will ever change, and I am ready to have peace in my life again. Even if he never breaks things or pushes me down again, his words and treatment are not acceptable.

He wants full custody of his kids in a year or two, and I know things would only get worse from there. I should have left 2 years ago, but at least I am leaving now. If he freaks out, quits his job, turns to the bottle again - not my problem. I need to worry about myself.

Thanks to all who commented - you truly helped me to listen to my gut.

CBCharlotte's picture

There is a book called "The Emotionally Abused Woman". It will help you break the cycle (even after you've left him). He may not be physically hurting you, but what he is doing is emotional and mental abuse and it is NOT ok. I'm glad you are getting help.

Not sure where you are but we are here for you!