You are here

Why does estranged OSD and SIL keep texting after THEY burned the bridges?

Sarri3's picture

Hi Again All, I last posted a month ago which was my first post after finding this site. I come here daily to read, learn, support, and empathize with others who are going through like circumstances. So sad. Anyway......

Briefs re-cap: OSD in cohorts with my DH’s sister, demanded my husband divorce me, his wife of 7 years. This was for no reason other than they feel his adult children should be number one in his life, not his wife. (Their words). They live in another state, and have families of their own. Nothing was ever said about our marriage or their unacceptance of me until this year, when DH’s father passed away and left DH and his sister an equal sizable inheritance. We have a happy marriage and DH set strong boundaries that he will not tolerate division to come into our marriage by anybody. Especially since he usually only ever heard from his children when they wanted something financially. In seven years I have never seen him receive a Christmas card or gift from any of them. But they are the first to wonder where their card/check is at Christmas. Disgusting. Well after my DH put forth the boundaries, he was told by his daughter and sister that until he comes to his senses, they are cutting off ties with him, and estrange him from their lives. This was 5 months ago. My DH was hurt but felt it for the best if they are going to treat him/us this way, and we didn’t need the negativity.

Well, we have gone about living our lives, being happy despite them and every few weeks out of the blue, my husband will get a nasty judgemental, accusatory text from one of these bitches telling him “I have nothing to say to you but.....”. Or “You need to be and should be doing.....”. Or “ XYZ is all your fault.....”. My DH gets pissed off and they end up alienating him further. Yesterday it was his sister texting saying “YOUR DAUGHTER IS HAVING HEALTH ISSUES AND YOU NEED TO TALK TO HER”. Hello——OSD AND SIL CUT THEMSELVES OFF from him, accusing him and me of the most awful untrue things, and forced him to choose between her and his wife. He responded back then that anyone who loved him would never force him to choose. That was their last contact.

My question is, why do these individuals who estranged themselves from my husband continue to try to maintain contact and keep drama going? My husband never responds, which is probably driving them crazy when their attempts to manipulate him into doing what they wanted failed. My DH is considering getting a new cell number, but this will be with much inconvenience due to his job and contacts.

Any advice, support, suggestions much appreciated. And I want you all to know I am reading and seeing all your stories, and my heart goes out to so many of you for what you have and are going through. All the love, and thanks once again for listening.

SacrificialLamb's picture

"My question is, why do these individuals who estranged themselves from my husband continue to try to maintain contact and keep drama going? My husband never responds, which is probably driving them crazy when their attempts to manipulate him into doing what they wanted failed."

Your second sentence is the answer to the first. Because they aren't getting to him, and they are frustrated.

Be very thankful your DH is strong enough to not let this sway him. He should tell them while he loves his children, he has the right to be married to someone else and he will not give in to threats and bullying behavior. He should also tell his sister to mind her own business, which includes what he does with money he has inherited. I am sure she wouldn't appreciate him digging into her financial affairs.

I believe I have this in my future since DH and his cousins are to inherit from his aunt when he passes. His two siblings are obsessed with this future event, although this aunt could outlive all of them. I suspect I will see bad behavior then too, to make sure the money is kept "in the family" and none of it potentially gets spent on the family intruder (me).

twoviewpoints's picture

" he was told by his daughter and sister that until he comes to his senses, they are cutting off ties with him, and estrange him from their lives"

DH needs to resend both ladies their original texts stating they are cutting all ties. It's what they wanted if they couldn't have their way. Remind them each and every time a new attempt of communication flows in. They got their wish. He's accepted his 'penalty' of being cut off and being estranged from them... now could they please respect their own claim of 'he's dead to us' and leave him the heck alone.

Why do they keep texting? Because they thought they would win. Their manipulative fear tactic didn't work. Dad/brother was to dump your buns and go running to them. He didn't. Thus they are now trying to guilt him for his refusing to divorce you.

Seriously, block them. No text, no calls, no emails if he truly wants them out of his life. But I doubt he does nor that he desires to go 100% black for fear something would really happen and in emergency they could not contact him.

hereiam's picture

Can't he just block their numbers?

They expected him to chase them when they told him they were cutting off ties, not just let them walk away. They were just playing another game of manipulation and are pissed that it didn't work like they thought it would.

If someone tells me they are done with me, they had better be done, because I am. I chase nobody.

sammigirl's picture

GOOD! The key is "no response". Money can turn a family into a raging battle, I've seen it in my own family more than once. $$$$$ is what it is all about. I'm glad your DH is backing you.

We have been married 38 years and my SD56 has hated me since day 1; SD has never made any bones about how she feels and also put it all in writing, "DH was to divorce me". I never gave response to her in any way, I just disengaged and will never step back from disengagement. You are correct, when you state that the silence is "driving them crazy". It absolutely drives my SD56 and SGd34 (mother/daughter) crazy too. Like "hereiam", I chase nobody.

I have learned (past 4 years) that the less your input, with the problem, the more DH will see the problem for what it is. Just stand beside your DH, do not respond to their hate. My SD and SGD text, call, pop in to see him (for a few minutes), anything to keep the contact with DH and try to push my buttons. I don't pay any attention at all. It used to bother me, but I'm over it now. It took at least 4 years for me to let it go. Continue on the high road, you have chosen.

Stay here and accept the advice and support. This site is my anchor and has stabilized me beyond description. I found that if I let my skids, they would destroy my marriage. Not happening. My questions???? Why do the stepkids not want their father to be a happy man?????

(((hugs)))

notasm3's picture

Silence is golden. I wanted to rip SS32 and his GF to shreds last March - but it is so much more rewarding to ignore them.

sandye21's picture

I agree - not responding is the answer. But it makes one wonder if SIL or SD would give up their marriages for someone who does not even live with them. It just seems par for the course that step parents live by different standards and expectations - and should just love it.

It is admirable that your DH supports you and your marriage. He is silently letting them know just what he thinks of their opinions. Worthless. People like SIL and SD feed off of each other. When they do not have you or DH to punish they will eventually self-destruct.

Sarri3's picture

I so appreciate the feedback everyone, thanks!!! We aren’t very tech savvy but did research how to block a number and my DH is going to do that with both SD and SIL on his phone. Sammigirl, hugs right back at you! I have read many of your posts and what you have endured is so terrible! But I keep reading and am learning a lot from your wisdom and others on this board.

It’s seems to me that SD and SIL are having a difficult time living by their decision to estrange themselves from my husband.....hmmmmm. I don’t get it. Perhaps it was only done to manipulate him and attempt to gain control of my DH. That backfired.

Hang in there too my friends! So difficult sometimes......the why’s of everything. :sick:

hereiam's picture

Yes, it backfired and they are not quite sure what to do now, so they forge ahead with their ridiculousness, looking like idiots.

I would be tempted to respond, "You said that you are cutting off ties with me, when does that start?"

Focused_onourlife's picture

Your story sounds so much like mine with the exception of your SIL and the inheritance. My DH is an only child and while he got a small inheritance several months back when his dad passed, it was never about money with my OSD but she does feel he needs to choose between her and I. BM was actually your SIL for a while until she realized she never really had any control over my DH and her manipulation only served her because he wanted to see their DD and that my DH's loyalty lied with me and her influence over him ended when I came on the scene (that's a whole other story).

I also agree with every comment posted. It took my DH almost 18 years to see his DD for what she was and had I not disengaged, he will still be blind to her manipulation. The only advice I have is to keep your distance from your SD and SIL, they mean you no well and they will stab you in the back every chance they get if you engage in any conversation with them and will twist your words to their benefit. Just be polite (hi, goodbye) when in their presence and continue to be your DH support system. I wouldn't even bring them up unless he does and don't spend anymore then 2 minutes on the convo before changing the subject. Your DH seems to have a good grip on things and I would suggest, in this case, let him know as much as possible how much you love and appreciate him.

I know how much this effects you, you can spend months even years trying to understand why they do the things they do and wonder what you did wrong or could have done better but just know that this has nothing to do with you. This is their problem and your SD would have a problem with whomever your DH would have married because he would have had the same boundaries. As for your SIL, she is just miserable with her life and until she find happiness she will always insert herself into your and others business.

Lastly, though this isn't a game to you, the best revenge is to continue being happy in your marriage. At the end of the day, that's what should matter to you anyway especially, in this situation. I feel your pain but you are not to blame. Just try to enjoy your beautiful marriage and your beautiful life!

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

Sammigirl says: "I have learned (past 4 years) that the less your input, with the problem, the more DH will see the problem for what it is. Just stand beside your DH, do not respond to their hate. My SD and SGD text, call, pop in to see him (for a few minutes), anything to keep the contact with DH and try to push my buttons. I don't pay any attention at all. It used to bother me, but I'm over it now. It took at least 4 years for me to let it go. Continue on the high road, you have chosen"

THIS, OP is very good advice. Do not re-engage with them and just let them stew in their own juices. As with my Twit, once I disengaged, (and threw DH out to live with Twit for awhile Smile ) he didn't see what was really going on. Eventually we moved across country away from crazy for our own sanity and my safety (my Twit is really bat sh*t crazy). She still tries to lure him back in the web, but the distance has helped.

Good luck. Stay in touch with us.

sammigirl's picture

shes driving me: As you know, four years ago I also threw DH out, via Law Enforcement, to live with SD56 for awhile. He didn't like it for sure and now also realizes what is going on.

We also moved to another State and it is amazing how this helped put it back together.

I get your entire story with Twit and learn from your posts. Disengagement was the only choice I had, after my SD56 wrote me a two page hate email (which I still have and my attorney still retains). Her last words in the email; "You stay away from me and mine, and I will stay away from you and yours, except for my Dad of course". What was that all about? She is so controlling that she thinks she owns people; thus assumes I own people as well??? I had to laugh out loud and never responded to this crazy woman. She doesn't tell me who to stay away from, she was up in the night on that stupid statement.

I gave my SD what she asked for; I never go around her; I've stayed away for 4 years, which she didn't expect. She doesn't like that either now. She continues to come around and cause hate and discontent. I have never responded to her in any way; yes, Silence is Golden and the silence drives her even more crazy.

Sammi says: "She continues to come around and cause hate and discontent. I have never responded to her in any way; yes, Silence is Golden and the silence drives her even more crazy"

Yes silence is golden and also drives Twit crazy as she has this need for attention. Even the thought of being around her makes me uncomfortable as she has, as readers here know, made some threats and actually tried to knock me over one time.

In my case, I don't believe Twit hates me because I am married to her Father, but rather because she just feels that way to people other than her hubby and her babies. She is incapable of caring for anyone, including her Father. In that respect I pity her, but I am not going to try to fix her or anything as her kind cannot be fixed.

marblefawn's picture

Your husband needs to lead by example - they clearly have no idea how to estrange!

Nothing hurts or sends a message like being ignored. If you're consistent, they will get bored. If you respond at all, you're giving them exactly what they want.

marblefawn says: "Nothing hurts or sends a message like being ignored. If you're consistent, they will get bored. If you respond at all, you're giving them exactly what they want."

Exactly. They actually start to panic when you pull the plug on contact etc. But, they do escalate for quite awhile because, to quote Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction"....[They} won't be ignored! And I really do believe that they will always keep trying to get at us one way or another. Make no mistake, disengaging is darn right hard when I want to tell Twit what a cretin she is, so I stay away. If I should happen to catch her call, I just tell her to hold on I will get her Father...no how are you doing, nothing.

And knowing what she is, I know that type of action from me drives her nuts. So, the moral of our experiences OP is to stay away from them period.

fairyo's picture

Yep- I haven't been within a stones throw of my skids this Christmas. Maybe they missed me, maybe they were glad I wasn't there. It was hard, in no way has this been an easy holiday-but you know? I have my self-respect and my dignity intact and in that respect it has been so worth it.

sammigirl's picture

Good for you! It is very difficult, just hang in there. I hate disengagement at times, it is so lonely; but on the other hand, like you say, "I have my self-respect and my dignity intact".

I won't go back on my disengagement, no matter how difficult it becomes. Why would you want to start all over and we know that is what would happen; it would just go back to the usual.

peacemaker's picture