You are here

stealing

SoniaAlone's picture

Hi. I have had the strangest couple of weeks. I accidentally found my bd's bank card in my sd's purse. I kicked a bag on the floor of her room out of the way when I was painting and the bank card fell out. I was shocked to see it was my daughter's card. I left it alone thinking it would be returned right away - no such luck. so, finally 10 days after my bd's announcement that her bank card is missing - I didn't tell her where i last saw it - suddenly the sd sends her a text message announcing that somehow she's got the bank card but has no idea how she got it. My bd's digital camera went missing at the same time, and by some miracle it turned up too...so I finally asked the sd today if there was something we should talk about. she looked suprised. i asked how she ended up with the bd's bank card. she claimed she had no idea she had it blah, blah, blah. when i asked about the camera suddenly being found in a place I had looked for it a number of time...she asked me if I was accusing her of stealing it. i told her i wasn't accusing her of anything - just that something strange and unsettling was going on and i was uncomfortable with it.

background on this relationship...my husband will defend his daughter to the death on any issue. he specifically instructed me to not say anything because his daughter just wouldn't do anything like this - it hadn't been his experience with her...she doesn't lie etc. There was no proof that she took the items and she would be devastated to know that i suspected she took the items (SD is 20 years old)

now it's all out there - except my husband doesn't know i said anything YET and the sd...hasn't come home since the talk.

now what do i do?

jen122277's picture

I have to chime in on this one because I am going through something similar. YOU NEED TO HAVE A VOICE IN THIS MATTER!!!
I have been told so many times by DH that I am not supposed to scold or discipline his kids. BUT, I feel like even though I do not want to be the enforcer, I certainly want to have a voice. for the past 2 weeks my DH has been in the hospital and SD18 NEVER even asked to go see him. She lives with us and barely came home. I was literally stressed to the max with going to see DH and work and keeping the house together. She would sneak her BF in while I was sleeping and then I saw on Instagram she was WEARING MY CLOTHES!!! and she was stealing my makeup. Her response "I have been so broke lately, I didn't know what to do". My personal opinions aside of this stupid girl, I RARELY say no when she needs something or wants to borrow something....DH came home from hospital yesterday only to find her in the bathroom smoking weed and her BF sleeping in her bed! It was a HUGE blowout and I stayed quiet and when I finally couldn't take it anymore I yelled in my opinion but then I got yelled at for butting in! Moral of the story, no matter what DH says you deserve a VOICE. Don't be quiet.