You are here

The Greeting card to H's eldest says it all

Disillusioned's picture

So DH was trying to pick out a birthday card for his eldest daughter today

Usually we buy all our greeting cards in the high-end card store, especially when it comes to H's family of course Wink but as we were walking down the aisle in the grocery store H spots a stand with a limited selection of cheap and ugly cards

He says to me to go pick out a card for his daughter. Now, if this were for YSD we wouldn't be picking out cheap cards and I wouldn't be picking anything for her - H would want to select the best card himself, it would be something he best thought reflects YSD and it would have all the super mushy 'you're just a bright shining star in our lives, yada yada yada' stuff in it

But for his eldest, H obviously could care less and by asking me to pick the card who wants nothing to do with her, her birthday present or the card, well he must of known I wouldn't go picking anything other that exactly what I felt was appropriate for his eldest daughter

Anyway H then comes over to help as he just wants to pick one and get going so he picks up a card that was very basic and cheap looking and an ugly card

He looks at a second card which is a little nicer and very mushy 'from the day you were born the joy you have brought yada yada' and actually says no, this is not appropriate for her and puts it back

The next card he looks at is again all sweet and nice, H says nope and puts it back, the next one was not too mushy but said to our daughter, I'm like, no I don't think so, so H settles on the ugly card with a almost business like non-personal birthday greeting for his eldest

I guess H is more aware of his eldest's disappointing and nasty behavior than I had given him credit for, DH absolutely did not want to buy her any sort of nice, sweet, mushy card. But he would normally absolutely have bought the best he could choose if it were for YSD

I think his behavior trying to choose and appropriate card for his eldest daughter today really says it all about how he feels about her these days Sad

Orange County Ca's picture

I love it when the adverts for greeting cards pop into the display with your missive.

I'm glad he's seeing the light on his kid. As my wife occasionally says "Now you know why some animals eat their young".

SugarSpice's picture

rotfl! my h gets all hurt when the sds treat him badley but as soon as they call or want something from him he comes running. they just drip syrop talking to him so sweetly. he walks around the house with a dopy grin on his face. the light has not come on for him yet.