You are here

First Post-adult SD with kids, so complicated

SMviolets's picture

Hello everyone! Wow I wish I had known about this website years ago. I don't feel so alone now. My dh and me married when the SD were 5 and 6. My DH had custody of his bio and his SD (xwife oldest child). She had typical unsupervised visitation. (One of the SD was beat by her bf at the time other 2 kids were sick, all have different bio dads). The first.8 years of our marriage was rough. We were called into CPS so many times. It got to the point CPS was tired of it. And told them don't call us again. We have investigated enough times nothing is wrong with them or how they are raising the kids. (The BF or sperm donor of the oldest SD probably could have had visitation but did not show up to court. (This was before I met DH). Her BM And BGM made sure to do everything they could to cause trouble and made sure BF was around as much as possible even though he had no rights from the court. We received zero child support from anyone. We were, most of the early years, scrapping by finacially. During those years, BM rarely took care of the kids when they were sick, she would not take them for visitation many times she would bring then home sick or covered in head lice. Bm had endless violent boyfriends the kids were terrified off and pot smoking parties when she offered her kids joints to smoke at age 11. The oldest SD was in constant trouble; stealing money, stealing checks out of my check book, and sneaking out. At 15 her BM managed to save enough money to get a lawyer to have the court order changed. (SD lived with us from 6-15) after she left, SD moved in with her mother she would walk through our driveway and keep walking. Not a hello or anything. I disengaged. SD established a relationship with her BF or sperm donor. DH and I saw him once and she was giving him problems. He stated he should have been there for her. My DH reminded him she had a dad that spent alot of time with her and raised her and SD/DH raises her to be respectful it was her BM and  BGM that created all the chaos. Now SD has a child of her own. SD is constantly posting picture of BF on FB about how much she misses him and wishes he was here to meet his grand daughter (he passed away a few years ago, I think is was an accidental overdose) here DH and I are, the ones that raised her, the ones that were happy for her to finally be able to conceive, and we haven't even been invited to see her. It's one of the many painful things about being a SP. I contacted her on Instagram she said hey yes I would like for you and DH to come and meet her. We don't even know what to call my husband. SD always called him DAD when she lived with us but in light of her posts she doesn't view us as anything. What do we do wait for her to contact us or try to disengaged again? 

The other SD: she moved out on her own at 18 was gone for 9 months. Moved back in for 4 months, at which point she moved into our garage apartment for 4 months. Moved out again for a year then moved back in. Everytime she moved back in tried really hard not to have to go to work. We moved so she moved in with MIL (who happens to feel sorry for her to this day) She moved into her own place my MIL paid for her car insurance and phone. BM paid her gas bill and DH and me paid her deposit. When SD married, I wasn't invited to go wedding dress shopping and the shower was scheduled at a time when she knew i wouldn't be able to attend. She got married, got pregnant, and her husband got a job near us.  Yes you guessed it moved back in with us again. SD told her husband once if they offer you something take it. SD has borrowed money several times this year to buy medication meanwhile goes to Starbucks and out to eat frequently. If I am with her and BM calls she answers the phone immediately rarely answers the phone for me. Her BM couldn't stand she moved close to us, so BM and husband moved with in 10 minutes of us. When SD had her second child I wasn't invited to come up and see the baby but her mother and mother in law were both there. (No good deed goes unpunished, I spent countless hours doing homework, painting each little chicken pock with hemorrhoid ointment to stop the itching and countless hours of worry because I had to send her to her mother's for the weekend even though I knew it wasn't safe. CPS wouldn't do anything unless the kids were actually injured.). SD has health problems and I have tried to be supportive. PTSD and physical problems.  SIL has asked me to come and help her. I have been called in the middle off the day because she wouldn't answer her phone. I have told her don't go take a nap with your 3 and 5 year awake. (This happened to her and her sister they got out and walked down the road at 2, 3 years old the court almost took them out of the home, when DH and BM still were married.)  I am spent. I don't want her ever moving back in. I told DH that I am done. She has a MIL, a BM, a sister, and a BIL.and SIL. I feel the only reason she contacts me is we are the only ones in the family that have a bit more money at the end of the day. I can't measure up to her mother that was a dead beat drug addicted person that allowed her significant other to beat her child more than once then went back to him when he got out on bail.

I love them both but I am done. I care about the grandkids. I just don't have anything left. 

Should I feel guilty about disengaging? 

JRI's picture

Don't feel guilty about disengaging.  It seems we sometimes confuse disengaging with turning our back.  To me, disengaging means limiting damage to myself.  I still care about my SD60 but for my own health and sanity cannot allow her to live here, visit when no one is here, get involved in any of her drama or give/lend her any more money.  Do I hope the best for her?  Yes.  Do I support DH's relationship with her?  Yes.  

So, disengage with a good will.  It's a process but will free you up somewhat.  Let's face it, these problem SKs will be in our lives as long as we are with our DHs but we can limit our exposure to toxicity.

Rags's picture

Why?

What have they done to earn your love? Even unconditional love does not mean you unconditionally accept shit behavior from the perpetrators of that shit behavior.

Quit naively serving yourself up on the alter of Sparental martyrdom to these failed family progenies.  

Stop it. NOW!

Take care of you.

She told her own spermdonor to take whatever you and her father offer. That was the moment that they proved that they are not worthy of love and you should have gained instant and even retrocative clarity that they are the spawn of a shallow and polluted gene pool.

Take care of yourself. Quit doing the same things repeatedly while expecting a different outcome.

Write them off.

ESMOD's picture

You can love people but not support or enable their self destructive behavior.  You can love people but not open yourself to being repeatedly rejected or discounted by them.

IMHO.. disengagement would be in order here.. and that does not mean you don't care.. it means you accept that you have no control.. and that your interference or attempts to help will not be appreciated or used productively.. and sometimes enabling is more harmful than making people face the natural consequences of their actions.

Nowhere is it required that you, as a stepparent, use all your resources and leave yourself lacking for people that aren't able to manage themselves.. they are financial and emotional black holes.  

I think it's time for you to try to focus on your own life being happy and fulfilling.. and maybe someday they will appreciate and realize what you did for them... or maybe they won't. but your happiness can't hinge on that outcome.

SMviolets's picture

Thank you for commenting. My family has always treated my SD's as their own flesh and blood but they are feeling it too. I don't have any BIO's. My sister and brother in law has always been there for them. SD, the youngest rarely picks up or returns calls. I posted lyrics to the beetles let it be on Instagram the oldest SD sent me a pic of new grand baby that is 1 month old that I haven't seen yet. I ignored it. I bought a gift but every week that I don't get to see her I remove something. I think I will just donate to a woman's shelter. I need to listen to my therapist....I think I just needed to find this website. Just need reassurance that I am no being unreasonable. Thanks again.

ImperfectlyPerfect's picture

You're not alone. The statement that they are "emotional and financial blackholes" is correct. You do have to disengage and frankly I have found it extremely helpful to be indifferent. I don't even find myself wondering about what one of the SKIDs is doing. I don't give him any thoughts and if he creeps into my head after he's done something weird or excessively loving towards my DH I practice focusing on something in my present and little by little I don't care any longer. I don't want ot protect them. I don't want to know the details of their day-to-day. I don't even have a hunger for when this one SKID starts a family - I fully know that the SKID and DIL are going to make sure the kids believe we are hooorrible people. The truth is they are horrible and it's time for you to do something similar. Disengage and indifference - it's good once you get used to it. 

Thumper's picture

I love them both but I am done. I care about the grandkids. I just don't have anything left. 

Should I feel guilty about disengaging? 

------------------------------------------------

NOPE

SMviolets's picture

Oops. I disengaged for awhile but then stupid me re engaged. My SD was offered a job by my DH with his company in the evening. Her husband has been getting off early so this is doable. Since I am not working as much as I was, that those days he wasn't off I could take my grandson for a few hours. SD has started her a small company and I have helped her a few times. (This is where I re engaged). She basically informed me that her BM would be taking care of the GK but on occasion that she would bring them to me. I offered out of kindness.i have never tried to compete with her BM. I back away. She told me this after I made plans to help her with her business next week. I do this to myself. (I donated oldest SD baby gifts to friends and a homeless shelter. She is now 8.months old and I haven't seen her) I was sure hoping BM would move. But she hasn't. Her stepfather just died and the BGM moved down. (Funny how that works her step father securely abused her (the BM) but yet she still called him dad) I don't need this crap. Having my own hard time right now.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Yeah, stop helping her! You know, my own bio mother disengaged from me a few times. I thought she was the worst mom in the world at the time, but all she really did was refuse to do my "job" for me. As an adult, she didn't want my kids and me living with them, and she didn't want to be my free daycare. The nerve! And i was forced to learn how to deal with my own kids, and live as an independent adult! The horror!

I'm better for it. Don't let people guilt you into enabling. 

CLove's picture

Sometimes we backslide...but just take it one day at a time.

I am no contact with SD24 Feral Forger. SD16almost17 Powersulk is spending most of her time with her BM Toxic Troll. They recently obtained housing assistance and pay 280 for a 2 bedroom nice looking apartment near the ocean. Its close to school and friends. Shes almost aged out and spends all her time in her room anyway...

Stop putting your heart out there to get trampled on. Stop begging for scraps. They dont taste that good and will leave a bad feeling in your stomach.

I too am bio-free. We have this love inside and want to be able to express it, and its hard to come to terms with the fact that they simply dont want it. So remove yourself. They wont allow you to bond with the grands...so dont trip over yourself.

But make darn certain that your wills are solid.

Heartisweary's picture

Same boat.. too bad it's a shitty dingy.. 

feel ya. 
thank goodness for this group there is literally nothing as heart breaking as being a step mother. Especially when all you wanted was a family and to love them. But instead your a under appreciated, overworked.. and over expected.. the bread crumbs leave ya hungry, sad and on the island more often then not. 
feel ya .. I really do! 

Rags's picture

parent breeders do.  We are not cursed with the rose colored classes that seem to be so prevalent in breeders even when their spawn are clearly crap.

Unfortunately we also want a great life with our chosen partner. When that chosen partner is a failed parent breeder, that is where our burden becomes so painful.

SMviolets's picture

Updatrle. Wow. All i can say. SD pregnant again. She is 8 weeks or so and look 4 months. About 2 months ago SIL said he wanted #3. I looked at him but did not respond. Despite all of her health problems, he wants to risk her health. She had market place insurance that is terrible. The job DH gave her put her over the amount for medicaid, so she quit. Now he is short staffed, his fault he hired his daughter for the job he offered me first. No i didnt accept. I do see the grans once in awhile but i my terms. I know the answer to the question before i ask it. After helping and spending alot of money on the last baby shower then i wasnt invited to even come to see him in the hospital but BM was there and MIL was there (she was invited to take of the oldest while she was having the baby. ) I dont feel like i should be obligated or expected to help throw another baby shower. Any ideas on how to respond tactfully to those in our same social circle (SD and mine) that i wont be throwing or helping with shower? ( no she didnt keep anything from either child for the third)

Thanks everyone!

Catmom024's picture

It used to be that women only had a shower for their first child.  I guess times have changed.   I wouldn't give it a second thought.  If anyone asks about who is giving her a shower just say "I don't know anything about it. "  If anyone flat out asks if you're helping with or throwing the shower, same response "I don't know anything about it" and change the subject.  Be too busy with your own life, hobbies and interests to know anything about anything relating to your SD and her offspring. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Disengaging is a process of detaching. It's modifying your behaviors, thoughts, and impulses, so backsliding is common. Change is uncomfortable; you're changing YOU, and that requires mindfulness and practice.

The first rule of disengagement is, we never announce it. We just fade back from the situation. Those aren't your people, not your responsibility to do anything for them. So treat them as you would a coworker of your DH - polite and superficial, his business to deal with.

One thing you can do is become incompetent and clueless. Many women handle the bulk of emotional labor in their relationships; we're the ones who plan, host, schedule, and know what's going on. Cultivate being uninterested and uninvolved when it comes to your husband's adult kids. It's not your job to host a shower (It NEVER was, get back in your lane), so when asked, shrug your shoulders, say you don't know anything about it, then change the subject. No more Suzie Fixer! 

Another skill I learned to police my faulty impulses: the importance of waiting a beat before speaking. It's okay to pause, take a breathe, and consider. This creates space to have the impulse, recognize it's unhealthy, and squash it down. I used to be the Cruise Director of our family, handling everything. First thing I did upon disengaging was reroute everyone to my DH. "I don't know, did you ask your dad/brother?" I got busy elsewhere, knew nothing about anything, had no opinions and STOPPED VOLUNTEERING. So consider your words and build up that impulse filter.

Lastly, be prepared for pushback. You've been over functioning, and some will be unhappy when you stop. Stay the course - change is messy, but you're doing what's best for all.

SMviolets's picture

Thanks. I know this is terrible. I just dont want things to look bad in front of some newly made mutual friends because i know no matter what most people just really cant comprehend the situation. And i seem to get in situations where people bail on me and leave me holding the bag. Thanks thanks for the input.

SMviolets's picture

Unfortunately, I cant change the mutual friends situation. Friends are having a girls weekend since it wasnt something i was involved with the invites i didnt say anything. One of them asked hey did i imvite SD. I said no wasnt sure who was on the guest list and how many. They contacted her and invited her. She was here at my house having to do something and i was called and they asked if i knew if she wanted to stay the whole weekend. Idk. She is right here do you want to talk to her. She wouldnt really give them and answer. I later explained that i dont talk to SD a ton (when she was at my house out of convenience and i said yes), it was a first in awhile. I should have told her it was too late to come to my house to use what she needed. We were going to bed soon. But i didnt. I have her device she left here. Gonna see how long it takes for her to come looking for it. Wondering if she will wait until i am gone to let herself in....yup i am thinking about replacing door locks.

Winterglow's picture

Definitely change those locks. Nobody who isn't a permanent resident in your home should have a key - you don't know who is in your home in your absence.