You are here

Do I see SD20, or do I run?

SteppedInIt's picture

My problem has so much history to it, but I’ll try to keep this as short as possible.

SD20 lived with us from age 15-19. I cooked and cleaned for her. She was difficult to say the least and had zero interest in following any rules. She wanted to do whatever she wanted (partying, smoking, drugs, you name it). And she was the biggest DRAMA QUEEN you have ever seen!!! Long story short, after another blow-up at our house, she left to go live with her mother 2 hours away (BM had been in rehab). BM has always let her do anything she wanted. She’s a COOL MOM, kwim?

SD20 barely speaks to her dad (mostly through texts). DH has gone to visit her last fall, and she has come to our town a few times, usually to party with friends and sleep it off at our house. Oh, unless of course it’s around Christmas or birthday time…...then she’ll show up long enough to get gifts from us.

Over the past 5 years, SD20 has basically ignored me, unless it suits her. That last few months, this has turned into disrespectful actions towards me. Too many to list. The last one had me waiting for 4+ hours for her as we were supposed to spend the day together (doing something SHE wanted to do in our town). She never showed up, never called, never texted. Just couldn’t be bothered. Her Dad was furious. I was just sad. I said to DH, “DH, I know that she is your daughter, and that you want to have a relationship with her. I know that you are willing to put up with this sh*t in order to have a relationship. I am not her mother, and her actions over the years and proven to me that she has ZERO interest in having any kind of relationship with me. Her last stunt was downright hurtful to me. I will not stop you from seeing your daughter, but I am done. I will no longer keep turning the other cheek only to be kicked in the teeth yet again”.

I told DH that this was for SD20 to fix, not for me, or for DH to fix. I have told DH that unless SD acts like an adult and shows with ACTIONS (not just words) that she is sorry for her behavior that I didn’t want to see her, let alone have her stay at my house.

This this happened a couple of months ago, SD20 has started texting her father occasionally, and even met him for coffee last month while she was in town visiting friends. I guess she is trying to make sure her Dad isn't still mad at her. DH is lapping it up.

DH told me yesterday that SD20 wants to come to town to visit us (I’m sure in reality that she didn’t mention me) and stay at our house. DH sees this as an opportunity for him to talk with her and let her know that her past behavior is unacceptable. I told DH that SD20 has made ZERO effort to contact me since her snub a couple of months ago, and that if she wasn’t mature enough at 20 to figure this out on her own, then it’s not for him to “fix”.

I told DH that if he wants SD20 here, that’s fine, I won’t forbid it. But I won’t be here. I will spend the weekend out of town or with a friend. That’s pretty easy for me to arrange.

Here’s my problem. I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing. DH wants to have SD apologize to me. He thinks by me avoiding her, we will never get a chance to repair the issue. In my mind, SD20 has had MONTHS (years really) of time to make amends with me, but has chosen not to. That said, I’m I just dragging out the inevitable? I imagine that she will text me someday and apologize and ask to meet with me. That would be TOO awkward for me. I’m not good with conflict, and would rather avoid it.

She’s an adult now. She has no interest in me. She’s proven that. Why can’t we just let this thing die and end it?

I don't know how to resolve this, and I don't know how to not make me look like an unforgiving @sshole in my husband's eyes.

Amber Miller's picture

I would love it if my DH made psycho princess brat apologize to me as she snubbed me in my home while she carried on with my kids and my father. Everyone noticed how she ignored me and refused to talk to me. Of course DH was making excuses "maybe she didn't feel good" and "you're too sensitive". Yeah right. I would love for her to apologize even if she didn't mean it because then shed know that Daddy didn't approve of her behavior. It's then up to me whether I want to accept her apology or not. Rotten psychotic brat

oldone's picture

She just wants a free place to crash. She sounds awful. I'd be willing to bet there is some reason she wants to come to your town - other than seeing you and her dad.

I would not let her in your home. She's an adult now so no need to house her.

Her staying there is not going to fix anything. If anything you will be MORE pissed off by the time she leaves.

forgotten wife's picture

^^^^. This! Don't leave your home. Tell your DH to stay the hell out of your and SD's relationship. Tell him he's right, you're the bad guy and you won't hear anymore about it. Tell him he and BM made her the way she is and he will now have to live with the consequences of that because you will never again do so. Phucking period.

Amber Miller's picture

Well, I put up a post saying the contrary but I have to admit, I see this perspective making sense as well.

Newimprvmodel's picture

I have a similar situation, except my dh's daughter wants the welcome mat out, no apology and she wants time with her father that a wife spends...ie ..my time. Oh and she has been gone over three years, her choice.
Dh also wants me to start fresh....but I am holding the line. I see no benefit to me here, only going backwards to the craziness and drama. So stand tough honey!!!!

SteppedInIt's picture

Gosh - I REALLY appreciate ALL of your input! You are right, that I shouldn't let her run me out of my house. My only reasoning is that I don't want an empty apology. I can take your advice and make her apologize to me at my home, but I feel that her words are hollow, it's her actions that speak volumes. I guess that's why I'm stuck, becuase my husband thinks an apology will fix everything, but to me, it is nothing but a manipulation tactic by SD20.

Do you think I should tell DH that SD20 can come only if she apologizes to my face? Does that mean I'd have to accept her apology. Ugh!!

oldone's picture

Just because you accept someone's apology does not mean that you have to accept them back into your life.

Here's a possible scenario:
She mumbles out a half-assed apology.
You graciously accept her apology.
You still refuse to spend time with her or have her in your home as you don't want any more issues to come up between you. It's best that you not spend time together. You will get along so much better with no face to face contact. Smile

SteppedInIt's picture

Wow. All great advice. I need to really think about what I want out of this. It's amazing how DH and I can get along so well until his kids are involved. He has a hard time with me banning SD from our home......it's so sad that accepts scraps from his daughter and thinks it's OK.

Newimprvmodel's picture

Sounds just like MY dh and his nasty daughter!! But I no longer care about being the bad guy. In your case, she might not want to engage with you any longer or Come to your house. How bad would that be for you???
Because the few times I saw her before my engagement to her father, I was soooo nice to her and her sisters. That was before I knew what monsters they were. So in thinking this....let her know the sweet person is now gone nd replaced with someone who has the balls to actually stand up to her......likely a new concept. I bet she won't like it, and will not want to be around that person. Boo hoo......won't I be upset!!! Lol

sandye21's picture

I went through hell for years with SD. I was invisible, verbally abused, subject to vague accusations, made fun of, and pretty much treated like crap. Over two years ago, she snapped at me and started ordering me around. After putting up with it for over 20 years, that day it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Something changed inside of me and I made a resolution never to put up with the rudeness again. I vowed never allow anyone to treat me disrespectfully again. A few months later she went ballistic (and hubby joined in), yelling at the top of her lungs, shoving her finger in my face. The reason - I nicely asked her and her husband to speak up instead of having sideline, muffled coversations while in the same room with us or even in the car. I banned her from my home and disengeaged. This means I never bring her up in conversation with DH but about a week ago I asked if she had any remorse for her behavior. DH replied, "No." I said, "So she can stay away." Until he works up the courage to inform her that she is to respect me in my own home she will continue to be banned - and I don't care if I look like as "unforgiving @sshole in my husband's eyes."

This has even extented to family and friends. At the first taste of toxicity I take positive action.

Newimprvmodel's picture

Good for you sandye. A switch has been flipped on in my head, and damn it....I will not put the welcome mat out for his daughter. Those days are over, and she now knows it and is giving dh the cold shoulder now as payback. I don't care....and that will go for anyone else that sets out to do me harm.

forgotten wife's picture

yep, if an apology means some people get to come back into your life, no thanks. life is better without them.

bi's picture

so infuriating when someone apologizes to other people for how they treated you. i had a bitch once tell a whole website of people that she was sorry she gave them all the wrong impression of herself by how she treated me. i never got an apology at all. that was just her trying to save face. she wasn't sorry at all.

SteppedInIt's picture

Yup. I canforsee SD apologizing to DH for how she treated me......and he'll be gullible enough to think it means something. I wish she would just disappear. We're so happy when she's out of our lives. She needs to take her drama elsewhere.