You are here

Do I have to go to the wedding?

ChrisCross's picture

I have been with my DH for ten years, married for the past 7. When we got together he was going through the divorce. He has 4 children that fit in between the ages of mine. 2 boys and twin girls. They were young then 9, 8 and 6. They where constantly dropped off by their mother and left every weekend. As I had all boys, I loved to the girls hair and dress them like girls. I also cut the boys hair and did things for them. Soon I was being told by the one girl "My mother does not want you doing our hair. My mother does not want you cutting his hair" etc. So I stopped. Over the years I bought Christmas and Birthday presents. Only to find them left at our house still in the box or the clothes with the tags on. When the girls got older they got jobs and quit coming to our house all together. The oldest son would take a week to explain the problems there.
The girls just graduated from high school in May. The ones boyfriend proposed the Sunday before the graduation. They are getting married the end of the month. I decorate wedding cakes, sew wedding dresses and create wedding flowers, bouquets, coursages, etc. DH offered to help with the wedding this way. She keeps telling him she will let him know. Her mother is in a same sex relationship. Today we got the invitation. DH and the mother are listed as if they are still married. The wedding breakfast is at the partner's mother's home. We still have not heard what she wants us to do.
They are getting married in an LDS temple so neither my husband and I can attended the ceremony. I am not LDS, he is but not active. Think I am blamed for this on some levels. The reception is 4 hours away. I do not want to go. I have a feeling I will go and get handed a bill to pay for something I could of done at wholesale costs and get mad and FINALLY blow up after 10 years at the mother or the daughter.
Do you think I should still go? I have already told my sons they do not have to go.

chery12's picture

Are you planning a birthday party, wedding reception, wedding ceremony, anniversary, reunion, corporate event, retirement or any party type, this is the right place to locate the best party vendors in your local area.
San Diego Party Rentals

LizzieA's picture

I would only do if my DH wanted me there as his wife. Otherwise, why bother? Their loss.

oneoffour's picture

Well put it this way ... do you think the wedding announcements were written by her mother? Because I am suure she didn't want to be landed with HER name and your DHs name.

I bet it was written by the wedding couple and they had no idea so looked up something online. I would categorise it as ignorance and not a slap in the face.

They are very young to be getting married. She is getting married right out of high school. And what is her future? School? Babies?

So they are having a reception in someones garden. At least you are not responsible for the mess. If she hands your DH a bill, he leaves it behind. You offered to help out, they failed to ask you for assistance, they get landed with the bill. I wouldn't hand over one cent. Although I would get them a nice wedding gift. Food processor or DVD player. Nothing they can really hate you for.

See these kids are teens and they behave appallingly. My OSS has not seen me for about 6 months. He has not seen his father for 3 months since his father bailed him out of jail. $1000 OSS STILL owes us. Any excuse not to come over here. But then there is 100 excuses why he can't meet up with his dad for lunch without me around.

My own daughter decided to get pregnant right out of highschool and moved in the LoserDad. 2 years later she was back with her tail between her legs apologising out the kazoo.

Just stand by your beliefs. They are not too much to ask. It is just the kids don't want to put the effort into being polite and having good manners.

Send your DH along with a nice generic gift (dinner set and cutlery sets?) and NO CHECK BOOK or credit card!