You are here

Critical and Time Sensitive Issue! Need advice!

knkodi2's picture

Sorry - but this is gonna be a long one. I have a unique situation here - my husband and I are SP's to a 19 y.o. who has been thru hell in the past year and a half. My SS's BM chose to let my husband care for her kids when they got divorced, and then I came into the picture. So - it's been the two of us raising her kids (now 19M & 22F), and trust me when I say it is, by far, the best thing. My husband has been the only father my SS has ever known. His BD spent time in prison for arson and had drug problems upon his release, and never made any attempts to contact my SS. Then, one week before my SS and my husband were to meet with an attorney about getting his last name legally changed to my husband's, BM decided to bring BD back into my SS's life. SS then changed his mind about having his name changed. That was the first blow in a series of blows to come. It was obvious that our SS was dealing with so much confusion and angst over his BD entering the picture. We are not sure if he ever did anything more than just write to his BD. We know for sure that he had opportunities to meet his BD in person, but never did. Seven months had passed and we received word that BD had committed suicide. It's been hell ever since. Bear in mind that my SS never knew his BD and was completely aware of his past. However, I watched as my SS exploited the situation for the great deal of attention that was now placed on him. He began by letting people believe that he had a great relationship with him (got more mileage from that than if he'd mentioned to people that he never knew him), had his BD's picture up in his car, posted on his MySpace site that his mom was his 'hero' because she raised him and his sister by herself for 15 yrs (gee - where was my husband???). When my husband flew 3000 mi. to be there for my SS's graduation from Bootcamp, he was introduced to others as 'Step-Dad' - a first (he'd ALWAYS been referred to as 'dad'). We suspect that he'd told everyone the sad story of the suicide so, when my husband arrived, how was he going to explain the 'dad' that came to see him? Step-dad. To make matters worse, he has now had both arms tattoed from elbow to shoulder. On one arm there is a large cross with the words "In love memory" across the top. On the bottom of the cross are his BD's initials. On the other arm, he has (in very large numbers) the date of his BD's suicide. Now - I do know and understand that he needs help and i can only guess how much he wants to fantasize about his BD. I'm sure he even feels guilty for not meeting him. Can't convince him to get counseling, though. But I now see the extent to which he will go for the attention. BM and our SD are all mortified that he had done something so drastic as to get that info tattood on his body. Kinda morbid, really. My dilemma is this. I have watched him cut my husband out of his life bit by bit...and all the while, my husband has continued to support him and show him nothing but patience and understanding. Keep in mind, my husband provided these kids with a very nice life. Had it not been for him, they and their mother would have had a rough life (they were living in a tent for about a year prior to my husband meeting them). My SD knows and understands this and is very appreciative of my husband and has a great relationship with him. So - now, my SS is heading to Iraq in a couple of months. He is coming home for a few weeks before he goes and it will be the first time my husband will see the tattoos. He does know about them - but I think seeing them will still hurt. What I'd LIKE to do is pull my SS aside and try and get him to understand what he's doing - that he making very impulsive decisions because of what he thinks he'll get from it, creating a false image of his life because it creates a great pity-party...but he has already been talked to by his BM and his sister and they have gotten nowhere with the subject. Oh - SS called the other night and wanted to know if he could throw a big party when he got home. Personally, I can't believe he has the nerve to ask for anythign from his dad. I have tried to feel some compassion for him, but his lies are tearing my husband down and the mother lion is coming out in me! With only a few months left before he goes to Iraq (and we accept that ANYTHING can happen over there)we are at a loss for how to handle things with him. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on this. Lastly, my husband and I are in agreement on one thing for sure - our SS is going to be required to keep the tattoos covered in our presence.

Dana's picture

Wow, is about all I can say right now. First of all, it is just so commendable that you and your DH stepped up and did the right thing by these stepkids. Your hurt and anger are well justified.

I don't really have any great advice, but there is something called "Widow's Syndrome" where people do tend to glamorize the deceased, only remembering the person's wonderful attributes and none of his/her faults. I think your SS has the classic signs of this, but instead of basing his memories on fact or actual encounters, they're purely fiction - a fantasy story that he wrote and probably wished had been true. It's sad, but I think once the novelty of the recent attention fades, he'll come around somewhat. Of course, each time he meets someone new, he'll undoubtedly be asked the meaning behind his tattoos, so I suppose he could get some attention out of this for the rest of his life. Regardless, it is a bit of a slap in the face to those who actually did raise him, sacrifice for him, and helped make decisions in his best interest. I'm hoping that he'll realize who was truly there for him day and night. W/ his BM and sister already calling him on this, I'm sure he's most likely a little uncomfortable w/ his tattoos.

Try to be supportive of him as he heads to Iraq as you just never know what will happen there and our military young men and women deserve our gratitude and praise. Instead of a big party, plan a small get together for a few close friends and family members. I'd bet he will cover the tattoos up willingly in front of those who knew him through the years as he'd look quite foolish to play this despondent son to a man he'd never even met. Perhaps you could ask him what message he is trying to send by the tattoos since most of his old and good friends know the BD was never more than MIA...and, finally, make an offer to accompany him to grief counseling since he's obviously so devastated to learn that this man who fathered him, biologically, is permanently gone. Was he thinking he actually had a future w/ him? If he did agree to grief counseling, maybe the Dr. could actually get to the bottom of this odd need/ploy for attention?

My cousin lost his father about 10 yrs. ago. The BD was very briefly in my cousin's life. He battled alcohol and died when struck by a car in NYC. My cousin, despite not seeing him in many, many years, and only holding a couple of actual memories of him was surprisingly affected. Maybe these guys do have some fantasy of their BDs coming into their lives and offering their approval or something. My cousin was in his early to mid twenties when it happened and after the initial news, he talked about it awhile, but never since those first few weeks. I hope all of this soon wears off from your SS. I sympathized w/ my cousin but then reminded him that his father was tormented and was hopefully in a better place since passing on. I also reminded him that it takes more than "placing an order" to be a "father." (My dad and our recently deceased grandfather were the two men who cared for my cousin.) Perhaps you need to remind your stepson of that little fact..., much like there's more to being a "mom" than giving birth.

Good luck,
Dana

knkodi2's picture

Dana, Thank you so much for your supportive words. They help more than you know. It's so great to know that I have a forum where others can relate to the complexities of this life as a 'Step'.

You were right on the money with your views on this. Just to give you an update - my DH had an opportunity to delve into the tattoo subject with my SS and, I must say, I'm darn proud of him. My SS tried his hardest to avoid and skirt around the subject but my hubby didn't cut him any slack. He made it known that he was hurt by his actions and that others would be, too (grandparents, etc). He also confronted him on his obvious need for others to feel sorry for him and his overall need for attention. So - it's out there now and the two of them will continue to try and mend things before he goes to Iraq.
Thanks again for the help.

vistajpdf's picture

Glad to hear your DH is making you proud! Hopefully, this young man will quickly remember that his "real" dad is still standing before him...

I will pray that this all works out and that he leaves for Iraq on great terms w/ everyone and safely returns. The tattoos will hopefully be removed someday or tastefully downsized...It's tough as no one wants to disrespect the deceased, but as I just said, his "father" is still alive and well. I think it's great to learn about one's bio parents and hopefully learn something positive as we are all extensions of our parents, but I firmly believe that the ones who lost sleep when you were sick, worried when you were out, helped you get through school and worked so you'd have a better life are THE parents. If I found out tomorrow that my parents weren't my bio parents, I don't think I'd look too hard to find those whose genes I shared - my parents will always be my parents.

I often tell my dear teenage nephews to look at pictures of their father (my brother)and I in the '70s and '80s and imagine if the hair and clothes were permanently attached to us. They laugh so I say, "Don't do ANYTHING permanent to your body now just to be 'in style'...imagine if g-ma had tattoos and piercings all over her body - someday your friends will be 70-something grandmas, too..." Thank heaven for lasers!

Hope I didn't offend any tattoo sporting friends here, but I really feel like my dear nephews could get quite carried away and be the tattooed if given the chance, lol. I say, "Go down to the beach and have the henna ones done, they last awhile but you aren't married to them!"

Keep me posted,
Dana