You are here

BFs adult daughter causing problems...need help!

feels_like_karma's picture

CAUTION: It's a long read ahead but to anyone who is in a relationship where adult children exist...I'm begging for your advice.

Let me start with a bit of an intro because I'm not sure if my previous posts are still active. I originally joined this board like 8-9 years ago when I was in a previous relationship. He was 10 years older than me with 4 kids, and they were all under the age of 18 when we first got together. I broke up with him a little over 4 years ago, and it was the best decision I've ever made.

I've been with my current boyfriend for about 3.5 years. We moved in together about 3 years ago, which for both of us was more for financial reasons than relationship reasons. I was renting and the lease wouldn't be renewed because my landlord was selling the house. My bf owns his house and had been considering a roommate just for extra income, he didn't necessarily need it but figured it's a big house so why not take advantage. However he didn't like the idea of a roommate, because he's very much the type who likes loud music and walking around naked. So when I said something about my lease not being renewed, he asked if I would want to move in with him. We discussed the pros and cons given we hadn't even been together more than a few months when this came up, but agreed that if things didn't work out, I would stay in a spare bedroom until I figured something else out. Basically we made a "worse case scenario" plan, but fortunately it worked out for the best.

He is quite a bit older than me (I'm 35, he's 53), but it really has never been an issue. It initially deterred me from seeking a relationship with him at the start, but we both realized that it worked really well and just went for it. Thankfully, there hasn't been anyone who has vocally been unsupportive of us. We are very happy together, and he has even told me on multiple occasions that this is the happiest he's ever been in a relationship, including when he was with his ex-wife. They started dating in high school, then divorced around 2013 I think. So they were together a long time. He does have 2 adult kids (23m & 25f). I have always gotten along with them, although I've never gotten the "warm fuzzies" from either of them. I assume they have an issue with our age difference since I'm closer to their age than his, but nothing has ever been brought up that I'm aware of. I do my best be to hospitable and kind to them when they're here, I join in on conversations and essentially try to exist without giving them a reason to get upset with me. I personally never had any issues with either one of them and just wanted to make sure we could all get along so as not to cause a problem in our relationship. I have a step-mother, she wasn't the best growing up, and I really just did not want to have that same relationship with my (hopefully) future step-children.

Now let's fast-forward to the issue. Last November, BF had been working on his daughter's (24f) car and finally had it fixed, so he told her to stop by on a weeknight to swap out cars (she had been driving his while he had been fixing hers). She came by in the evening and I mentioned that I was making dinner, so she was welcome to stay and have dinner. We all ate, then it got pretty late and she made a comment about just staying the night. We have 2 spare bedrooms - one we call "my room" simply because it has most of my belongings in it and I use the closet, and then another spare room that usually has a bed in it but at this time was being used as a temporary foster space for kittens that a stray had (completely different story I won't get into too much, just need to give background). I told her she could stay in my room since the cats were in the one she would normally stay in, and I just got my work clothes out and things I needed for the morning so I didn't have to disturb her. I went to work the next day and came home to find her still there. I asked my bf, he said he wasn't sure when she was leaving but it wasn't a big deal because he didn't get to see her alot. Another backstory I should add is that up to this point, BF had been working out of town during the week for almost 2 full years. He'd leave Sunday night and come home Friday night. At this point, he had been done with that job for about a month and a half and was now laid off, so it was great to finally have time together because so much of our relationship had been spent apart. So, in my mind the last thing I wanted was his daughter staying there long, but obviously didn't say that because I know he doesn't see them much and I can't be selfish.

So this process of me going to work and her still being at home when I got back had repeated for about 2 weeks. I was starting to get frustrated, mainly because this wasn't planned, so it was a bit inconvenient given she was staying in the room with all of my stuff, and he hadn't bothered to ask her anyhting about why she was still there or how long she was planning to stay. She had her own place with roommates, so it didn't make sense why she was still here. She wasn't even spending much time with him. She'd spend the daytime in the bedroom, and then come out at night to eat dinner and watch TV with us. So basically the time I had with him was the only time she decided to show her face. Whether or not that was intentional, I don't know. Again, not that I'm incapable of "sharing," it just doesn't make sense why she would spend her days holed up in a room that isn't hers and not spend any of it with him since he was home. Then Thanksgiving came, she went to her moms house and was gone about a month. She left some stuff at our house, so I knew she was coming back. By this point, I think the only thing BF had figured out was that she was "fighting" with her roommates. She came back from her moms house, and first thing she did was go to her dad crying and ask him if she could live with us. He said yes, without hesitation. I understand as a dad why he'd do that, but I was also frustrated that there was no conversation with me. No, we're not married, but I do live here too and her living here was impacting me more than him. We didn't even have a room for her at the time, so this meant she'd be continuing to stay in mine until I could get rid of the kittens. He also didn't bother to talk to her about a plan. Like how long will you need to stay, what's your plan from here, etc. She wasn't working and hadn't been working for at least a few months, so I knew this wasn't going to be as short-term as he tried to say it would be.

This is getting really long so I'm going to try and shorten as much as I can while still giving the right information, so I apologize if it's all over the place. SD has stayed with her mom in the past, and I guess her mom told her she couldn't stay there again. SS is still living with their mom, but I guess he pays rent and is waiting for his GF to get done with school so they can get a place together. What I understood is that their mom "couldn't" live with her again, meaning it didn't go well before. Red flag, IMO. If mom can't live with her, how can he expect that it will go well here?

One thing to note about him is that he's very laid back and non-confrontational, and I can tell that his ex-wife was basically the parent when they were married. Meaning she had to do the disciplining, etc. because he didn't do well with any of that. Also, I did get the kittens moved out after a couple months and she is now moved into the other room.

Once she was living with us, it turned into her always being around, even on the weekends when him & I would go do things. We go out every Friday night, and he'd invite her along so she wasn't sitting at home. I tried to have him limit it, explaining that this isn't the same as when his kids would come visit and we'd take them out to eat. He brought her with for everything and paid for all of her food & drinks. It's not my money, but in my eyes at this point, he's being taken advantage of and it's pissing me off. She eats our food, runs up our bills, takes things without asking, and never pays for a damn thing. It would be different if she were working and trying to get herself in a better position, but she wasn't. That's what upset me the most. I had also witnessed her take his money off of the bar when he wasn't looking, and finally told him after the 2nd time she did it. It wasn't alot, like maybe $10-15 each time, and he'd always act like it wasn't a big deal. 

in February, BF got called back to his out of town job. After a few weeks, I made a comment to him how she never comes out of her room when he's gone. I rarely saw her, and she never came downstairs to the living room to hang out. I was 100% fine with it, but just told him as an FYI. He made a comment to me about how he assumes it's my fault and that I must make her feel unwelcomed. I was really upset by that comment, and told him I hadn't even given her the opportunity to feel unwelcome because she never comes around. It was her choice to stay away, and I wasn't offended by it at all but don't blame me for simply existing.

Then the big incident happened. Long story short, she stole something from the bar owner (who we are friends with) when we were out one Friday night and then pretended it was an accident and gave it back once she realized there were cameras pointing right at her. The whole thing was caught on tape, but even with video proof, she still claimed it was an accident. The only person to believe her was of course her dad. Her own mom knew it was a lie, but BF believes her because shes "a good kid" and "too smart to steal." Shortly after this incident, one of the bartenders told me that a couple months before that, a customer told her they witnessed SD take a tip off a table. The bartender never said anything about it before, but after all this she decided to bring it up just so we were aware. I never told my BF because I don't think he'd believe it, since clearly he doesn't even believe video proof. At that point, I pretty much lost any respect for her that I had. I was angry at the situation, angry at how he handled it, and didn't trust her being in my house. She claims it was an accident, but couldn't even bring herself to come back to that bar with us again because she knows he's the only one who believes her. My attitude toward her did change, but just in that I didn't really speak to her unless she talked to me first. I wanted to be respectful of my BF but just could not brush it off. I did explain this to him, and that I would never believe her and would have to figure out how to move forward and not be angry with her, but it wouldn't be easy.

There a couple extra things to note in this situation that I don't know where they best fit in so I'm just going to throw them in here. She did finally get a job a few months ago working like 12-15 hours for BF's brother overnight. She has private studen loans for schooling she never finished that BF cosigned on, which she isn't paying and caused his credit score to tank by like 140 points. She didn't officially move out of her other place until her lease was up at the end of March (she still had all of her belongings there) and had to pay rent for that entire time she wasn't even living there. I believe BF paid one month, her mom paid one month, and then she sold some stuff to pay for the other months. When she moved her stuff out, I was supposed to go with and help but she told her dad she didn't want me there. Originally he told her too bad because he wanted the extra help, then he decided to ask me to stay home. Which pissed me off because #1 she doesn't get to dictate what I do, and #2 he waited until we were just about to leave to tell me. But whatever. I didn't want to help her move in the first place but offered to be nice, so it worked out for me. I was just upset at how he handled it.

She also has depression and anxiety, which BF doesn't understand so he just goes with whatever she says. She supposedly was in therapy and taking medication, but still appears to struggle with it. After the stealing incident, she'd spend the entire week in her room, wouldn't even come out to shower. She'd be sleeping anytime he'd come home and try talking to her, so it turned into her just being here but we rarely saw her. I've mentioned in the most gentle way possible that perhaps BF and the mom need to discuss alternative options for her, like inpatient treatment. Because at this point either she was using it all as an excuse, or she needed more help than she was going to get being locked in her room all week long. Personally, I think she's using it as more of an excuse. Depression & anxiety are real, I suffer from depression myself, but it's not an excuse to quit living your life. You get help and work through it. So regardless of whether or not she's playing it up, something needed to be done. The frustrating thing is he will agree with me on things I say, but do nothing about it. So it was never a conversation that him and his ex wife had as far as I know.

At this point, her & I haven't fought about anything but he knows there's issues. I've expressed my problems & concerns to him, and idk what she's said to him about me. Most of my issues are in that I would ask her to do something simple and she'd ignore me. I asked her to stop keeping dishes in her room (she's literally right down the hall from the kitchen and would pile things up in there for WEEKS) and to just please rinse her dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher. I actually asked her that twice and the first time she just explained to me how she thought that was stupid. I didn't say anything at the time, but honestly I don't care what her opinion is. She's in our house, and she needs to respect the way we do things. Iasked BF to ask her to take care of cleaning the upstairs bathroom since she uses it the most, but I guess she had a "mental breakdown" over it but he couldn't explain why. I also told him after she moved all of her stuff in that I wanted the TV & Amazon Fire Stick back that I had left in that room for her. I had other plans for it and only left it in there for her to be nice because she didn't have anything. She had 2 TVs of her own, so I waited until she moved her stuff in and asked for it back. Apparently that really pissed her off, but BF couldn't give me a reason why. I would've never let her use it in the first place had I known she'd act like that. I wasn't being mean, she no longer needed it and quite frankly I have zero trust for her and wanted to make sure she didn't end up taking it with her when she leaves.

Her 25th birthday was at the beginning of April. BF told me there were plans for like a family dinner/party at a restaurant that was about 45 minutes from our house. He was still working out of town, so he was going to leave the out of town job and drive straight there. He said I could just meet him there, or if I didn't want to go, that was fine too. I said of course I'll go, I'll just plan to meet him there at whatever time he'll be there. The morning of the dinner, I get a text from him saying that he's been thinking and it's probably best I don't go until her & I can work out our differences. I immediately got pissed and asked him if that was true or if she didn't want me there. He admitted that she didn't want me there. I explained to him that once again, he's letting her dictate what I do. I have done absolutely nothing wrong to her, she's pissed for her own made up reasons and IMO, simply trying to cause a wedge between us and get me to leave. He told me that he wasn't happy with her for putting him in this position and that he'd talk to her about it later, but that I should just go along with it because it's her bday and he didn't want to ruin it. She was also leaving the next day to fly out to Boston and visit her best friend (her bday gift from her parents), so he wanted to wait until after all of that to address it. There was more to the conversation, but that's the brief version. The party was supposed to start at 5:45, and he got there around 6:00. I told him she hadn't even left our house until about 6:15, so she wasn't going to be there until at least after 7:00. He was the only one there because everyone else was at her mom's house waiting for her to show up. At 7:30, they still weren't there so he ended up coming home and never even got to see her or spend time with her for her bday. That pissed me off even more, she caused all these problems and couldn't even show up on time.

When he got home, I was in tears. I was so upset and frustrated at the situation. I have never said anything to her or been mean to her, any issues I've had I've only brought up to him. I even showed him our text messages, which clearly showed how many times I texted her to ask her something simple and she completely ignored me. I said it's on her how she reads any of these messages, I don't send them to be bitchy but I guarantee she reads them that way because she doesn't like me. She's making things worse than they are. I explained how hurt I was by what he did, and he felt horrible but I also understand she put him in a no-win situation. I said this needs to end, and when she comes back the 3 of us can sit down so she can air out her supposed problems and we can work through it. I also said I think part of her issue is she has no respect for me because he's never acted like my opinion matters. He never talked to me before agreeing to let her stay, and excludes me from every conversation he attempted to have with her about how long she'd be staying. (He tried talking to her about it a couple times but everytime she'd break down in tears, knowing he'd freeze and that would end the conversation. They had an agreement at one point that she'd get a FT job within a month, but she didn't and he never brought it up to her again.) I told him that there needs to be a plan, she can't continue to stay here with no end in sight, doing absolutely nothing for herself while living off of us and causing problems. He agreed that the 3 of us would talk about it and work out a plan/timeline for how much longer she can stay and when she needs to be out by. He understands why my opinion matters, and also realizes that he's incapable of having the conversation because she knows his weakness and can end the conversation by crying. He said the problem is that he told her that he'd never kick her out, and feels like he has no choice but to let her stay because her mom won't let her stay there. I said just because mom won't take her in doesn't mean you have to. You need to take back what you said, tell her you said that assuming she was going to be doing something for herself and working on getting out of this situation but that clearly isn't the case. We need to give her a deadline and stick to it. She's not going to end up on the streets, she will find somewhere else to go. She can act like the 25 year old she is and save up to get her own place. Or if needed, she has friends, other family, etc. she can stay with. She is causing problems here and if she's not going to grow up and take care of herself, then she needs to move on. Him & I have fought more since she moved in than we ever did in our entire relationship prior to that. We had the basics of the plan in place, but then she threw a wrench in the plan by not coming back after her trip. She's been at her mom's again for almost 2 months, but her mom wants to send her back to our house. Supposedly that's going to happen this weekend, although I don't know when.

I'm not sure if he's still on the same page given the time that's passed, but I'm hoping to get some outside opinions before I jump back into the conversation with him. Am I right in my thinking that I should be a part of this conversation? It affects me, I live here too, and quite frankly I don't think she'll try to pull as much with me involved. I just don't know if he'll feel the same way. I am worried that her being here is going to end our relationship. I honestly don't know what he'd say if she told him straight up that she wanted me out. I would like to think he'd say too bad, but he also doesn't know how to handle the situation and is trying to be a "good dad." He thinks he's been a bad one, simply because they got a divorce. His kids have never felt that way, so it's all his own thinking. I know that she's his kid, but I am his girlfriend and our plan is forever. I'm not just some girl he's been dating a few months. I get that kids are a priority in a sense, but at the end of the day, and especially when they're adults, you cannot put them above your relationship. They eventually grow up and move on to live their own lives. He cannot let her dictate his relationship or he will spend forever alone. Both of us have never been happier, and I am honestly not a bad person and have never done or said anything to her to make her act like this. His friend has tried explaining this to him as well, he's remarried with adult kids and said that his kids know his wife comes first. He will do anything for them, but they have to respect her and understand he will not "choose" them over her when she hasn't done anything to deserve it. I'm just not sure my BF can see it that way.

I apologize for how long this is. There's a lot of information to give and honestly this isn't even all of it. But it covers the bases that I think are needed for feedback. If you need clarification on something, please ask as I know I skipped around a bit and I'm sure I missed something. But any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Winterglow's picture

He needs to understand that by enabling her to live rent- and responsibility-free, he is hampering her development, he is the reason she cannot grow up and take care of herself. He is handicapping her development. 

Unfortunately, the house belongs to him and he doesn't understand that two women under the same roof is a recipe for disaster, and it's worse when they aren't related. 

Frankly, in this situation, I'd move out but continue to date him (if that's what you want). The peace and stresslessness that would result would make the move worthwhile. Also, when left on his own with his daughter would let him discover a whole new side to her, the one who doesn't clean, wash uo, tidy away. 

Moving out isn't something I'm willing to do unless it's a result of a breakup. I don't think it would do anything given he's not home much. She'd have full run of the house and continue to take advantage of him until the end of time. She's the one who needs to move out.

Winterglow's picture

I perfectly understand that you want her to be the one to move out but what happens if he decides that's not going to happen? The trouble is that she sees your home as her father's place and that she should therefore be welcome to stay as long as she pleases. He probably sees it that way too. Winkling her out won't be easy.

floralsm's picture

Agree with winterglow. Sometimes moving away from the issue is a great way for these enabling fathers to wake up and realise what they have lost, aka you. It blows the wind up him and gives you time to recover and focus on yourself. He's not supporting you, and you don't need to put up with the feeling of being disrespected by two adults in your home. I hope he wakes up and starts putting you first. 

Moving out is not going to be that easy for me so it really isn't an option I'm willing to try out right now. If we broke up obviously that's different but I'm not doing that. 

Survivingstephell's picture

I think you should back way up from him and find things to do without him.  He kind of needs an ultimatum but at this point I wouldn't go that far, I'd just keep myself too busy to spend much time with him.  Give him a taste of life without you.  He needs to choose but it's not a choice between you two but a choosing to move to the next level of parenting.  Parenting adults is and should be different than parenting college/ teenagers.  He hadn't made that shift.  His friend pointed it out perfect.  It's time to live life for himself.  You are very right that BM not wanting to live with SD is a major red flag.  In fact there are tons of red flags all over this situation.  Can you change anything? Nope.  Until he stops coddling his daughter , caving to her tears and generally wise up to her manipulative actions, there will be nothing but discord between you two.   You will gradually lose respect for him.  And don't think for  one second that a ring will change anything.  If he can't stand up for you as his chosen  life partner and make it clear (like his friend) that the relationship and you come first now, he will never do it and  you will never be happy.  You will feel like a second place loser to a golden SD.   

Plenty of stories on the Adult skid forum.  Settle in and read them.  Lots of hard won wisdom over there.  

Bottom line is that a man who puts his grown adult kids first over a wife/SO will never be a great partner.  Period.  

With him working out of town, we honestly don't spend a ton of time together so I don't think that would have a huge impact. It's part of why I got irritated at her being involved in everything, we never had time for us. I guess I'm more looking for validation on my feelings of me versus her and that my opinion does matter, which I think you gave me. I see so many parents say their kids are #1 in their lives, even single parents saying they wont date bc their kids are most important to them. And I've never understood it. Your relationship has to come first. That's who you will spend every day with for the rest of your life.

Winterglow's picture

Remind him that relationships take work and part of that work is regular date nights to reconnect ...

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

You said he's laid back and non confrontational- but does he actually have discussions about serious stuff or does he avoid it?

By the ages of 50 and 60 many habits etc have been formed which some people may not want to change and it's 'stay for the ride if you want but fit in with my life'. 
There may even always be some issue or another with his kids.....

If you ask yourself if he's meeting your needs/what are you getting from the relationship and are you 'happy enough'.

If you aren't getting your needs met now he may never meet them and your age is THE most fantastic age there is (I'm 47 I know...) - and I have literally been daft enough to waste a lot of my life focusing on the wrong stuff.

My ex husband was 13 years older than me - now in the beginning I didn't notice because we were 'in love' but by the end I thought to myself no woman his age would put up with his selfishness and stubbornness so why should I? I think he thought I would be more of a pushover because I was a bit younger. 

He will have the tough conversations, but I have to be the one to bring it up first. I am definitely 'happy enough' with him and am not necessarily looking for him to change, other than changing how he's handling this situation. It's new to him, and quite frankly I think he's just lost and doesn't know how to handle it. He always tries to see both sides of a situation, which is great, but he struggles at figuring out which is the right way to go or what a good compromise is. I think me being involved will help that, I just have to keep him on that page. Another issue is that he suffered a traumatic brain injury about 24-25 years ago, right before his daughter was born, and his short term memory is terrible. We came to a great solution on this 2 months ago, but I fear since nothing has happened with it since and we haven't talked about it, he's forgotten most of it and might not feel the same way now. I did decide I'm going to start recording our serious conversations for future reference.

He will have the tough conversations, but I have to be the one to bring it up first. I am definitely 'happy enough' with him and am not necessarily looking for him to change, other than changing how he's handling this situation. It's new to him, and quite frankly I think he's just lost and doesn't know how to handle it. He always tries to see both sides of a situation, which is great, but he struggles at figuring out which is the right way to go or what a good compromise is. I think me being involved will help that, I just have to keep him on that page. Another issue is that he suffered a traumatic brain injury about 24-25 years ago, right before his daughter was born, and his short term memory is terrible. We came to a great solution on this 2 months ago, but I fear since nothing has happened with it since and we haven't talked about it, he's forgotten most of it and might not feel the same way now. I did decide I'm going to start recording our serious conversations for future reference.

Winterglow's picture

Please do not take offence at what I a bout to say because none is intended. What you wrote about helping him figure things out and helping him with his short term memory issues is laudable when viewed from your point of view. However, if it is viewed from your SD's point of view, it could be seen differently ... She could accuse you of being manipulative and controlling and could use that to sow seeds of doubt in your SO's mind. She could also poison the rest of the family against you. Please tread carefully.

step to grown children's picture

Took me a few years, I was always reminding DH and doing things for him,planning trips to visit his kids and family. Later on, one SK mentioned to me that she finally understood why I did all those things but in the beginning it did come acros as controlling. Just a thought!

And by the way, it is his house. I dont  think you have much of a choice. I would move out. It is not going to change.....If you were married, it may be a different story.. I know it sucks but it is reality.

AgedOut's picture

Before I read the other comments, I'll make mine so if I repeat someone ele's advice, I am sorry. 

Yes, she is rude and disrespects you but he disrespected you 1st and she knows he won't change that. 

If this is your life the way you want it, it's all good but if you're unhappy and he refuses to fix it, you have to decide if you can live w/ it.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Your SO doesn't understand how he's hurting his daughter by enabling her already problematic issues, or how much he's hurting your relationship by expecting you to accept a crappy situation. He's gone most of the time, then gets to come home to "his girls". Nice for HIM, right?

And this guy was absolutely out of line to disinvite you from the birthday dinner! Instead of drawing the boundary that you are a unit and requiring respect for his partner (and the woman who helps provide a home for SD), he pandered to his rude, manipulative daughter. Not only did he permit her to disrespect you, he facilitated it. That's pretty cowardly, and I don't think you're giving that the weight it deserves. Why was this acceptable to you??

Another thing to consider: you're now seeing who your SO really is. Usually he isn't home often enough for the dysfunction to be that noticeable, but SD moving in has exposed it. The early days of my marriage were that way. We both worked a ton of weird hours, usually had only one day per week together, and we got along great. I saw the skids occasionally, and the in laws only at holidays. It was only when the first skid came to live with us full time that the crazy ramped up and I got the full monty on what a conflict avoidant, shite parent my DH was. 

I get the impression that in some ways your relationship sort of just happened, with you and your SO happy to take things day by day. But here you are, over three years on, and having his hateful adult daughter live with you has exposed problems in your relationship: communication seems to be a big one; as well as not having a clearly defined relationship or plan for the future. Another biggie is your SO placing you and his adult daughter as equals instead of you and him being the king and queen at the top of the hierarchy. And then (and I could be wrong), you seem a tad passive rather then assertive about these issues.

I think it's time you really considered what you want and what you don't want. You can move on, find someone closer to your age that you can build a life with. Or you can start drawing boundaries with your SO, require more of him and stand up for yourself. But it starts with deciding what you want your life to be like in five years, ten years etc and then determining whether he's qualified to be in it. Old dogs don't change, after all.

BobbyDazzler's picture

You are not married to this lazy user's father and your name isn't on the house?  I don't see that you're going to have much say in the matter.  HE should respect you enough to tell the daughter to leave but it sounds like that's not happening.  Clearly he didn't think you mattered when he told her she could live there! That speaks volumes about the lack of respect/regard he has for your relationship with him. Sorry to say it, but you're low person on the proverbial totem pole. You have to value yourself enough to be willing to tell your BF that her behavior is unacceptable (which it clearly is) and that HIS tolerance of it is unacceptable.  I don't see this daughter of his suddenly becoming a responsible individual a/k/a getting a job, respecting the fact that you live there, paying rent, helping around the house, etc.  It sounds like your BF is a big part/reason she's the entitled person she is.  Yes, it speaks volumes that her own mother recognizes this girls toxicidty and won't allow her back in her house.  Your BF is going to have to grow a pair and lay down the laws with his daughter and, if she doesn't comply, tell her she has to move out. In the meanwhile, you really should making some plans to leave yourself...even if it's not in the immediate future.  Good luck.

MissTexas's picture

with the man who had 4 kids, but I am seeing somewhat of a "pattern." The last BF was 10 years older than you. This one is 18 years older. Is there any particular reason why you gravitate toward older men? Not that it is an issue,(my DH is older as well)  but I'm curious if you have recognized that and considered why. Something is driving this behavior/attraction to older men. I made the mistake of thinking that since our kids are all adults, then I wouldn't have to deal with the typical relationship issues, like in-laws becoming outlaws and so forth. It didn't take me long to realize "step" meant I had "stepped in it."

What caused the breakup in the previous relationship? Was it "kid related?"

Do you have children?

I have to be honest with you. Like you, I thought my SD was my problem, because my DH talked about her like she was, but I quickly realized I had a man problem. You see, like your man, mine is also non-con. He will roll over everytime SD wants anything and she's a bit of a bully with a very strong personality. I always tell him his daughter got the balls and vice versa where his kids are concerned. 

The man problem in your scenario is that he has repeatedly IGNORED your feelings and has failed to consider your wishes. He has made it abundantly clear that the princess reigns supreme because he suffers from divorced daddy guilt. He will take his last breath trying to "make it up to her" and you're right, if he doesn't learn from his friend how to prioritize his relationship with his SO, then he will end up alone, and rightfully so. No woman would put up with taking the back seat to the daughter-wife. There's nothing attractive about that.

Unfortunately, if the home is his and he wants his daughter living there, you are the "odd man out" and your vote doesn't count and they've both shown you that. He is reinforcing her wishes everytime he bows down to her, and ignores your wishes. They are bonding over their dysfunction.

He is being manipulated by her and her "water works" tears.

If he suffered from TBI, I would demand to see medical proof. Until then, I would decide he is also being manipulative. After all, how could you dare be angry at him for having TBI? Even if I were to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept he has an injury, I would definitely see how he has no impairments when it comes to the daughter, only when it comes to you.

Best wishes in sorting this all out.

JC... I don't need to ask for medical proof of his TBI. He was in a terrible snowmobiling accident and in a coma for over a month. I've heard stories and seen pictures. It's not a lie. He NEVER uses it as an excuse. He actually thinks it doesn't impact him at all. I'm the one who sees/thinks differently on it.

Not that it's relevant to this situation, but this is only the 2nd time I've dated an older man. My last break up had nothing to do with his kids. In fact, they were the only reason I stuck around as long as I did. He was a shitty person, that's why I left him. 

I'm starting to remember why I quit using this forum. Lots of assumptions being made and everyone's conclusion is to leave? Since when is running away from your relationship the way to solve a problem? Especially the first and only problem we've ever really had in 3.5 years. I'm asking for advice on how to work through it, not whether or not I should stay. If I get to the point where I feel like nothing more can be done, then I'll start thinking about that. At this point, the SD isn't even back at our house yet and I'm just trying to preemptively plan the conversation for when/if she does return. 

Winterglow's picture

OK, so I've re-read your original post. You want to know how to work through this as it's the first problem you've ever had with him. Well, unless you're willing to have her live with you both forever, I don't really see how you can work through it. This is a problem that looks as if it's going to be extremely long-term, if not permanent. Your bf has already blamed you for the strained atmosphere and won't believe a word (or a video) against her. When everything becomes your fault, things don't look good for the future.

I think you need to have that conversation again with your BF before she comes back. Does he understand he's crippling her by enabling her? At 25 there is no real reason to live with either parent unless it is absolutely limited in time. Before she comes back, you need to decide between you how long she is going to stay and stick to it. He doesn't ask her how long she's staying, he has t o tell her that she can't stay longer than XXX because if he lets her try to negotiate, you are never going to get anywhere.  Another thing for the conversation, she's never going to stand on her own two feet if daddeee keeps bailing her out.  It's also most unfair for her to mooch off of both of you when you're paying your share of the bills. Either she pays her way or you cut back to 1/3 of the bills. He is actually being a bad father by constantly bailing her out; he isn't teaching her to be independent - sometimes you have to flounder and fail before you progress.He also needs to seriously stop dragging her on all of your dates. Please tell him what a turn-off that is. Couples need couples time. For the record, I would have been pretty pissed if I'd been excluded from the dinner party especially when she gets to go on your dates ...

What really worries me is that she clearly dislikes you and that she has her father's ear. 

If that conversation heads nowhere, you might just have to accept the situation. That is why I suggested maybe getting your own place but continuing to date him. I am not suggesting you run away from the relationship, just that you have you own haven of peace.

caninelover's picture

Allowing his child's behavior and not considering yours.  However your first problem to work through is yourself.  If you're not able to move out then you essentially have no options.  It is his house and you are not likely to turn him into a better parent.  So either accept the rude SD, or work on yourself and your finances to get to a point where you are self sufficient without him.

Too many women give away all their power when they move into BF's place.  If at 35 years old you can't support yourself on your own than that is what you need to fix first, not this relationship.

sandye21's picture

"If at 35 years old you can't support yourself on your own than that is what you need to fix first, not this relationship."  I wish someone would have said this to me 30 years ago.  It was a bit different but much the same, as DH was not able to support himself in his mid 40's.  I didn't find out until after he had married me.

Whether or not we like to admit it, in a situation like this, it gives the person with the money a certain amount of power, and this plays out in different ways - Your SO might think he has the right to decide who resides in HIS house.  Eventually it can reflect to the person who is depending on him for their financial existence in the form of resentment.  Not a good base to progress from.

caninelover's picture

And really it isn't like they moved in together because they decided they were life partners.  The primary driver for them moving in together was it was cheaper and more convenient.  Well it isn't so convenient anymore now that SD is there.  He never actually committed to care for OP like a husband would for a wife, and that seems to be what she is expecting.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

If at 35 years old you can't support yourself on your own than that is what you need to fix first, not this relationship.

This is a good point, caninelover. OP's BF is 53yo. And while it's not something we like to think about, he's at an age where a fatal or debilitating health issue could occur. What will happen to OP if he's suddenly gone?

caninelover's picture

OP has a pattern of relationships with older men.  Perhaps she has a need to be taken care of - but that is not what her BF seems to want to do except in a very casual way.  And yes - something could happen to him and it doesn't seem as if he's made provisions for OP in that event.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Quite possible. IMO, everyone should consider that they will need to be self-supporting. There are no guarantees in life and the older you get, the greater the possibility you might be responsible for the roof over your head and all that goes with it. 

StepUltimate's picture

"If at 35 years old you can't support yourself on your own than that is what you need to fix first, not this relationship."

Seriously. 'Cuz BF isn't going to change, neither is his thieving, manipulative Princess daughter. 

They're showing you the future you can expect with BF. Believe it. Look up Karpman's Drama Triangle; that's what you're in. Your options for staying are 1) suck it up & suffer, or 2) request change & respect and live as the Persecutor, wounding Daddy's Little Perma-Victim Princess and prompting BF's self-righteous Rescuer resentment ("It's MY house, MY daughter," and, "YOU'RE causing the problems," etc.).

I think OP came back to ST 'cuz we keep it real. I don't want to hurt her feelings; just see the writing on the wall. 

Movingonisbest's picture

Not sure if original poster is still reading responses to her post, but stepultimate you really broke this down really well for her. Original poster it really is best to get out of this situation because you don't mean anything to these toxic men or their toxic offspring. 

The dysfunction they share can be so ingrained that no mentally healthy individual could understand it. My resorted to offering to purchase us a new house if we could remain in a relationship but accept and tolerate his daughter's behavior no matter what. Lol. No way in hell was that happening. It's almost like these men worship their toxic offspring which is ridiculous.

CLove's picture

SO, the only real way you can work through this is to get the SD out on her own and independant. Shes HAPPY doing what shes doing. Shes not depressed, IMHO, I think shes supremely lazy. Why I think is is because Ive seen it happen. SD23 from what Ive heard and seen in her teen years, would sleep all day and be up all night. She is at her mothers place, and does the same thing, added that she likes to party. Shes got no job and no drivers license and isnt going to college. Shes mean dirty and rude and my moniker for her is Feral Forger.

YOUR SD sounds a bit like Feral Forger, who also blatantly steals.

Your SO - he controls the household and so does SD. You need to be more of a biotch, and claim your Queen Bee status. This is tougher to do when he is the homeowner and not really respecting you enough to value your input. Sd is on equal or higher status than you. You are the "live in". You may go away any time while SD will be around FOREVER. SO.

The way to work through this is to establish that there is a timeline and then you hold him to it, and repeat as necessary. Write it down. Create a contract/lease agreement for him. Have him sign it with his friend as witness so no one can say YOU are the one taking advantage of him. His friend sees it. He is not seeing it. You can diagram it all you want with bullet points and  apowerpoint presentation, he will not see it. So you have to create and enforce things, as he will not. So what if you are the bad guy. You have always been that anyway.

Kaylee's picture

My ex's daughter was just like this girl. I could have written your story word for word, except we didn't live together.

Ex SD never left home. She's 25 and still lives there, rent and bill free, and Daddy is the same conflict avoidant, passive weak parent often described on these forums.

When her Dad and I first started dating, he would ask to bring her along to things too. I firmly put my foot down on that one! It was a hard NO from me. 

One time we went to a family dinner...she was invited too....but when she heard I was going and it wouldn't be just her and Daddy, she screamed, and stormed off to her room, refusing to go.

We were at the dinner, having a good time, when he gets a call from the police. They said they were at his house and he needed to come home. 

So we go back there, and she's sitting there chatting happily to the police. They bid us goodnight and up and leave, with no further explanation. SD gets up and runs up to her room, slamming the door.

Turns out that after we left to go the dinner, she posted a message on FB saying how she is so alone and left out that she "might as well end it all" . Her friend saw the message and called the police....

So I thought, NO, she is not going to get away with this manipulative behavior. I said to ex, we are going up to her room now to discuss this!

So up we go. Sadly, ex was, as I said, weak and conflict avoidant, so he said virtually nothing. I was very calm and measured, and asked her what's going on?

All we got was a tirade of abuse and vitriol. 

This is an example of very poor parenting, and a person who has never had any boundaries put in place. The damage was done long before I came on the scene.

It is the same with your SD. If you intend on staying with your man, GOOD LUCK!

Winterglow's picture

Ask him who he wants to grow old with, a lover or a child who will be more invested in her own life. If he hesitates, wish him well and walk away. 

Newimprvmodel's picture

He sounds like he is just as he was in his marriage. Disconnected. Likely his daughter is trying to get his attention too. Unfortunately not a good situation for you. You deserve so much better. Fast forward 10 yrs.  You are 35!  What a great age. The sky is the limit. Honestly this guy sounds like he has tons of baggage that you don't have or need at your age. 

CLove's picture

35. No baggage. Time to fly from your step-cage little birdie!

reedle2021's picture

My stomach turned when I read your post.  I see red flags.  Your situation sounds very similar to my previous situation.  Please read my posts under the adult step children forum.

I left my situation 8 days ago after 9 years of being put last and my STBXH's son being put first (and my stepson's mother, grandparents and girlfriends were always ahead of me too).  This was not very noticeable at the first of our relationship, and I was able to rationalize my husband's behavior and his son's behavior.  But it got worse. In the end, I was the fifth wheel, the roommate, while he and his son behaved like a married couple.  He never told his son no.  He was terrified of hurting manchild's feelings and if he tried to set expectations about work or behavior with his manchild, he would immediately apologize and then retract everything he had said.  Manchild was never expected to move out and the one time I suggested this might make manchild happier to have a full time job and his own apartment, my husband ignored me for days and then said very hateful things to me.  Manchild also stole things early on.  My soon to be ex husband set no expecations with his son who is 21 yo (going to be 22 yo soon).  He's content to let his son run the house and he was running our lives also.  We had no alone time and my husband refused to do anything with me that didn't involve his son.  My husband even told me once that he's only happy when his son is around.  I missed out on jobs, trips, family time with my parents/siblings/nieces and nephews because stepson didn't like the town I was going to take a job in, or didn't want to go visit my family and without manchild's approval, my husband would simply refuse to participate or move or go anywhere.  It became a lonely and painful existence.  In the beginning, I was like you, I didn't want to leave.  I tried to form some kind of relationship with the stepson, unsuccessfully.  His son wanted his dad all to himself and in the end, there was nothing I could do to change the sick, codependent nature of their relationship from either manchild's or his dad's perspective.  All things considered, I didn't count, only my paychecks did.  

Everyone's situation is different.  I read one of your posts above that you don't want to just leave.  I understand completely.  If you can get your boyfriend to set some boundaries and expectations for his daughter as well as an end date to her living with you all, then it might work out.  His daughter is an adult and should have her own place and relationships at this time instead of riding daddy's shirt tails.  Your boyfriend sounds like a decent guy from what you have posted, he just seems to guilt parent from what I read in your post.  Maybe sit down with him and have a heart to heart about what you expect regarding his daughter and how it makes you feel when she acts the way he does and he takes her side.  Another thing, I think I would disengage from her and have him deal with her for now.  Anything you say or do, she'll turn it around.  It sounds like she is trying to make you the "bad guy" so daddy will maybe kick you out. 

I'm not telling you to leave.  You have to decide what's right for you.  But our stories are similar in that I made every effort in the relationship and with my stepson and to no avail because my husband refused to parent, refused to set boundaries and always, always put our relationship last.  His son resented me, it was more obvious at the end of our relationship.  His son lied about me.  His son was dismissive, disrepectful and downright hostile to me toward the end.  He has never held down a job and hasn't really worked in 20 months now.  Your BF's daughter sounds manipulative, just like my stepson was.

Please put yourself and your happiness first.  I feel like you are being given warning signs of the future ahead.  You deserve to be happy. 

Please keep us posted - we are here for you!  Smile

Winterglow's picture

Op, please don't leave just because you don't like what we say. We truly want to help. 

Blueblack13's picture

I'm sorry, I stopped reading after the birthday dinner story. Parents like your BF will always side with their children because they feel like they owe them something. My husband had 3 grown children when I first moved in 5 years ago. 2 still live with us and we're fighting to get them out. Now that she has established her place in your house, she won't leave without a fight. He will continue to side with her, and you'll be stuck.

You also need to make it very clear to him that any decisions made need to be made with you. You take care of the house and pay the bills, so you should have a say in everything. She needs to start pulling her weight.

There may be some hope if you're willing to suffer longer. My husband has only come around to realizing the errors of his ways within the last two years. We're in the fight together but it's been an extremely hard road to travel. I stayed because I love him enough to go through rough times together. But, I would tell anyone else in my or your situation to run. If you aren't absolutely convinced that you want to spend the rest of your lives together, then don't waste your time now. 

I haven't read everyone's comments but just came across this bookmarked on my laptop and decided to provide an update. I'd say it's a "happy ending," and no I didn't leave him or move out.

She did return on Father's Day, unannounced. More problems ensued of course. I won't get into all the details because I'm ready to be over it. The 3 of us tried to talk it out because he thought it would be a good idea, but essentially she just told me she dislikes me, no longer cares about "trying to build a relationship with me" (supposedly she tried and says I didn't put in any effort, which is LAUGHABLE), and that I have no say over her or anything that goes on in this house. It's not "my" house, according to her. Her father did correct her, explained that it is my house too and she needs to respect me and what's asked of her. She was given a list of "house rules" - nothing crazy, just the basics that she's been ignoring from day 1. She sent me a text, basically telling me to f off and calling me names. Her father talked to her (I have no idea what he said and he doesn't remember exactly at this point), but all he said was he "yelled at her." I doubt it was yelling, but either way, whatever he said must have pissed her off because she left the next day and went back to her mom's. I think she was pissed off that daddy no longer is taking her side. Her mom texted my bf asking why their daughter was at her house, he explained what happened. Mom wanted him to "fix it." He tried texting his daughter and she never responded, so he left it at that. Apparently mom has decided to let her stay there but she has to pay rent. We'll see how long that lasts, but either way, she's not coming back here.

I finally got my bf to understand the situation and prioritize me over the mooch. He realizes that his happiness matters more at this point than hers, and if he continues to let her run the show, he will end up alone. No one is going to put up with that. He agreed to not let her come back here, and also changed the locks and reprogrammed the garage door opener so she can no longer just show up when she wants unannounced, which she did a couple of times after she went to stay at her mom's. As far as I know, she's hardly talked to him and imagine it'll be that way for a while. He doesn't seem bothered by it at this point, I think he realizes that it's her own doing and she's the one who has to make changes. I've made it very clear that I'm open to resolving things when she decides to grow up, but I doubt that will be any time soon. 

So now, she's her mother's problem. And I have zero sympathy for her because she's choosing to allow it.

And to clarify for all those who chose to comment on the fact that I'm 35 and "not financially able to live on my own," that's not at all true. Yes, we moved in at the time we did because it was convenient for us both, but we've been together almost 4 years so I'd say it wasn't a bad idea. My primary issue is my cats. I have 5, and finding a place where I can take them all with me makes it difficult. If I needed to, I could move out. I just would prefer to fight for my relationship and fix things before throwing in the towel. I was at the point where I was apartment hunting (he never knew) before I finally got through to him on the severity of the situation.

I also don't have a "pattern" of dating older men - it's happened twice, and the two of them couldn't be more different from each other. 

I'm glad I stayed and fought for my relationship.

2Tired4Drama's picture

My philosophy has always been, "What if?"  I think that's where you should keep your mindset.  Just because things seem to be resolved now, that doesn't mean it can't change in a heartbeat and you will be right back to where you were.  If that happens, are you prepared to respond to the "What if?"

At some point, you KNOW that SD is going to re-enter your life.  Just because your BF seems to be OK with her absense now doesn't mean he doesn't have growing doubts and fears he won't hear from her again -  which means when she throws him a scrap of contact he will jump at it. 

I also wouldn't count too much on the "he'll wind up alone" therefore he needs to make your relationship a priority.  It is very, very easy for SD to eventually show up and do the ole "I'm your daughter - I will take care of you!" spiel.  Not that she really ever would. 

The realization I came to quite a while ago is that when push comes to shove, the vast majority of bio parents of dysfunctional adult kids will choose their bio offspring over their relationships.   There's a reason they are dysfunctional adult kids and a lot of it has to do with how their parents raised them, and continue to do so.

I can imagine a scenario where your SD shows up crying, upset, begging her dad to let her back in because X, Y, or Z has happened to her and she neeeeeds him so bad.  Or something happens to your BF and SD insists that she move back in and "take care of him." Do you really think he will boot her off his doorstep?  I don't. 

My only advice is to keep your exit route open.  Always have enough personal financial security that you can leave quickly if you need to and be fully prepared to do so.  If SD comes back at some point, I wouldn't even discuss it - I'd move out.  You don't necessarily have to end the relationship, just tell your BF you are not willing to live in the same house with SD and that's that. 

FWIW, that's what I've always had an exit plan in my own hip pocket.  SD is married and has her own family but I know that if anything really bad happened, my SO would not hesitate to take her and her brood in.  He and I have been together almost two decades but if that transpired, I am prepared to move out as quickly as I could.  In a way, I think it actually helps me because psychologically I know I don't HAVE to rely on my SO to live independently - and happily. 

sandye21's picture

From what you wrote originally and subsequent posts, it appeared that your BF was not supportive of you in many instances.  Also, I got the impression you would not be able to financially support yourself.  It looks like he has seen the light.  Good for you.  As 2tired suggests always have a 'safety net' for the "What if's."

reedle2021's picture

I'm very happy for you!  I am glad you all talked it out and your BF could see what a manipulative awful person his daughter was being toward you.  I'm glad he took your side and that's a good sign for your relationship.  Maybe seeing how his daughter treated you made him realize that she is the issue.  And it sounds like her mother doesn't want to deal with her either LOL.  I would try not to take his daughter's attitude toward you personally as it sounds like she's just not a nice person. I would make sure you hold your BF to the decision to not let her come back - although it doesn't sound like that will be happening at all at this point!  Smile And even if his daughter acts all nicey-nice and wants to be friends, I STILL wouldn't let her move back in.  My personal policy is NO to any able-bodied adult living with their parents.  Just. No.

Please keep us posted and I hope everything continues to work out for you!  **HUGS**

ndc's picture

Awesome update. It doesn't sound like your BF did much of anything to help his daughter grow and improve (she just ran to mommy), but at least he stood by you and the SD is GONE!