You are here

Adult stepdaughter living at home and mistreats me

Alina's picture

Hi everyone!

About a year ago I met a man that was a widow and he let me know he has a 20 year old daughter living with him. He very early on wanted me to meet her saying she was "curious" to meet me. I thought it was too early but decided to go ahead since they both wanted this.

I had a bad gut feeling before meeting her and her friend. We all met up to play bowling to make it an easy going time and I remember when seeing her, smiling and giving her a hug. I knew her having lost her mum it was maybe not going to be so easy for her to accept her dad having met someone new so I was being understanding to that she and her friend didn't show any sign of happiness to be there with us. Not to make the story too long her dad and I was very much in love and he eventually asked me to move in with them and told me it might take time for her to get used to me. He also shared he had talked to her and she was ok with it. I move in and discover that she always ignore me, and I get a feeling she doesn't want me there. I find out things about her sending photos of her bum to her dad, when she went for a vacation she send two photos of herself in a bikini to him. Just of her face and body nothing else in the background and another when she is holding up her hair doing a pose that looks to me something a woman might send to her boyfriend or husband... not to her father.

I also discovered that he make sexual comments to her and here is one example. She got expensive diamond earrings for her birthday and he let her know she has to look after them. I smiled a bit saying "perhaps not for when you go out clubbing" and he say "pole dancing" and laughs. I thought it was strange comment to make and when in private I let him know so. On top of this to me unusual way they have with each other I say nothing to her to make her uncomfortable. She can shout, swears a lot, pretend I'm not there by ignoring me. She has a large inheritance arriving to her soon, she works full time and pay nothing as far as rent or food. She refuse to lift a finger to help in the house and can't even throw her own empty schampoo bottles or change a toilet roll when she use the last paper. She doesn't majority of the time wash up her plates after eating and can even walk away from dining table leaving the food on the plate expecting her dad to take care of it. She doesn't treat him with any respect and he still speaks kindly to her. 
I love my partner a lot but I feel like she is taking advantage of the situation of having lost her mum, him feeling sorry for her and letting her get away with absolutely everything. When I heard about her mum finding out about her cancer and she had 3 months left to live and that during this time she would go and stay with her boyfriend rather then be around for her dying mum I felt rather sick not to mentioned that she made a joke/prank about Kate Middleton having died to her grandmother 5 weeks after her own mother had died. I have so difficult to like her and I seriously want to leave the situation but I also feel heartbroken to not be able to continue live and be with her dad.

I write this here hoping to get some advise and also I'm wondering what anyone out there think about if it's normal for a daughter to send photos of her bum and close up selfie in a bikini to her dad privately? He say she is only showing she was having a good time but I don't see when showing other photos of her having that made it necessary to include those to me inappropriate ones. She knew I was there and sometimes wondering if not to want her dad to see her in a sexy way it may have been because she was hoping for me to see it and upset me.

I have said to her dad a few times that if she doesn't want me there perhaps I should move out but he's really wanting me to stay. She has confessed for him that she didn't want me to move in but she didn't want him to feel lonely. She just treats me like ghost... 

If I knew she is soon moving out I could endure it but despite being 21 she is not able to say anything about her future plans on that sense and he doesn't want to ask her fearing she will feel unwanted. I have not sat down yet to talk to her because my partner feared she could hate me then. Not until now when he can see how I'm close to leave because not feeling happy there when she's around and how badly it has effected our relationship has he said it's maybe a good idea that I speak to her. Unfortunately I feel there has been so much hurt for me that I'm not sure if I can forgive her and also him for not trying to help me earlier...

Has anyone out there any similar situation? 
Kindly/Alina

Alina's picture

To mention that the bum photo was of her wearing tight shorts at the gym... she had deleted it from her social media when her boyfriends mum wanted to add her but apparently it was suitable to send to her dad...

Im confused and don't understand why she does this?

Wether you have lived a similar experience or you just feel like sharing your thoughts I welcome any opinion.

I have a 15 mature son that I also have given up more time with in order to be with this man and that change has been difficult for me and on top of this having to be treated like this Sad

Winterglow's picture

Don't even think about speaking to her like your bf suggested. What would you say? You'd just be supplying more fuel for her to hate you. 

How about talking to him...? As she has a significant inheritance coming her way,  start talking about her getting her own place with the money, how exciting it will be for her, etc. Don't ask, say these things if it were obvious. Tell him he could help her find a really nice place how much fun it will be helping her to decorate it, and so on. Work on getting him understand that this is what adults do.

Evil4's picture

You don't have an SD problem, you have an SO problem. Do not talk to this girl. It's not your job and it'll let her know that her tactics of over powering you in your own home are working. It is up to your SO to deal with her and he seems like a ball-less wonder when it comes to his DD, so the prognosis for him dealing with her is slim to none. Your SO is being a shitty SO expecting you to eat shit. Your SO is a shitty SO for telling you that you should be the one to talk to your SD. A real man would tell his bitch of a DD that she must show respect and that you are not going anywhere. Your SO should have her on a launching plan or to at least have some requirements, but instead he is her slave. 

Your SD is a mini-wife. Mini-Wfe Syndrome occurs and gets enabled and even perpetuated and facilitated when there is a weak father. Mini-wives don't reach milestones when their peers do, so don't count on her moving out any time soon. She has been given all the power, so she's marking her territory and letting you know constantly that she's no. 1. That girl isn't going anywhere. Even if she did move out, mini-wives have a way of ramping up the contact and the domination of their dads from afar. My SD34 had her skype open with my DH 24/7 in her apartment, despite moving in with her first BF, whom she didn't get until she was 25 damn years old. That relationship didn't last because the BF didn't want to "live with DH," which is how it was with skype open between DH and SD 24/7 for CONSTANT contact. I almost left DH's ass because it drove me insane. Mini-wives don't change. My DH changed because I almost left his ass twice and we both went into heavy-duty therapy, both individual and martial. I went to heal the part of me that resulted in me being in a marriage in which I was the inferior female. DH went to delve into why he fostered a mini-wife and why he was so scared shitless of his own kids, especially SD. While my DH changed, it took ages but SD never changed. She still attention seeks like there's no tomorrow and DH has to constantly be on his toes and handle it because he knows that I won't tolerate being a distant second to any female, let alone that PoS. 

I would move out. If you don't want to break up with your SO, at least downgrade your relationship and move out. Tell your SO that you will not live with him again unless and until he handles his DD and his own issue of why he doesn't stand up to her and why he sells you out. Tell your SO that a man not having your back is a deal-breaker. He has a lot of nerve expecting you to live in misery. He'll keep doing it if you don't issue major consequences. Yes, it ultimately could result in the demise of your relationship, but do you want to be treated this way and feel like this for a long time? 

I went epic on my DH, but I was at the stage of being more afraid of spending the rest of my life the way I was than of losing my marriage. I even had 20 years in the game. Before that I would go only so far and then pull back out of fear that I'd lose DH, but every time I pulled back, it let DH know that I wasn't serious and he could continue to allow an insane mini-wife to live with us and torture me. It's beyond soul-destroying to live being a second class citizen to a mini-wife for any lenth of time, never mind long term. Move out and maybe go for some therapy so that you can accept more than crumbs for love. You deserve better. Make your SO prove himself. I'm so mad on your behalf and he knows you're miserable yet wants you to continue living there in the same house as your abuser. And yes, what she's doing to you is abuse.

Winterglow's picture

"Tell your SO that a man not having your back is a deal-breaker. "

I would also tell him how much of a massive turnoff it is.

MorningMia's picture

To be honest, I'd pack my things and go. There are way too many red flags here. Remember: You cannot change someone else. 
I could never be with a man who thought it was acceptable for his daughter to send provocative photos of any kind or who would make jokes about his daughter "pole dancing." The primary issue here, as I see it, is him--the father, not her.  

Irishstepmum's picture

I have to agree with MorningMia. That is incredibly disconcerting behaviour on both their parts and is more than just typical mini-wife problems. I'd never be able to be intimate with him again. *bad*

BethAnne's picture

Love can't thrive in isolation. It needs so much more for a relationship to work well and be healthy. Sometimes we just have to walk away even when we know it hurts. You've only a few more years with your son being a minor, focus positive energy on him rather than wasting energy trying to engage with an adult woman who clearly doesn't want anything to do with you. 

Your boyfriend doesn't sound like he really cares for anyone but himself. He misrepresented or ignored his daughter's true feelings about meeting and living with you. He insists you chase after her (so you don't move out) rather than attempting to be a mediator and addressing his daughter himself. He doesn't care that you're uncomfortable, that his daughter is uncomfortable, he just wants everyone to "get along". If you hadn't raised/hinted that you might move out then I doubt he'd be doing anything. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Read up on enmeshment, aka emotional incest. Often it's rooted in family trauma, like when one parent dies and the other becomes emotionally dependent on their kid(s). My late FIL was enmeshed with his daughters. This happened after he and MIL divorced and she became an alcoholic. The kids came to live with him, he spoiled the girls rotten and they ran the show. The enmeshment continued until the day he died.

We've had other people join ST because they've been in similar situations, recognize it's abnormal, but can't put a name to what they're witnessing. Now you know, and I hope you'll hit the eject button. It's all dysfunctional, and this man isn't actually emotionally available. Life is too short to waste living with a mini wife who hates you, and even if she were to move out, the enmeshment would continue.

Winterglow's picture

Yes, definitely read up on emotional incest. You might also read the posts byOlivia2020 and jojo4124. Both have since escaped left their respective Hells.

CLove's picture

The butt and body pics and pole dancing comments are gross and not normal for a healthy father-daughter relationship.

She is a hard core mini-wife, they are super hard core enmeshed and what is occurring is emotional incest. You have an SO problem. SD is just a product of his dysfunctional behavior. She sort of knows better, but she benefits from all this, plus shes going to be well off soon, so everything is going her way.

He will not change. It works for him.

She will not change. It works for her.

I seldome say GTFO, but he wont change. He brought you in under false pretenses, shes his wife, you are the sidepiece. You want to be the main event here, so leaving the situation and spending more time and energy on your DS15 is the best way to go.

Glad you made it on here - this sucks!

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I agree with those who say spend more time with your son. Whatever time you gave up to be with this guy, take it back and then some. You will never get this time with him back. I found myself making that mistake in the first year or two with my SO, and i regret it. You could devote 100% of your time to this SD, and she won't see you as a mother figure and she won't stop sending sexy selfies to her dad. Her dad will likely still not set boundaries or have her move out, even when she is an independently wealthy adult. You will have wasted that time, and your actual son will appreciate you. If you stay with this guy, do not sacrifice yourself or your family for him. He won't sacrifice his for you. 

Stepdrama2020's picture

Seriously

These creepy big daddio /daughter relationships are sealed in stone. The enmeshed duo are unbreakable.

You will always be the chick on the side and the daughter is the wife.

You deserve better. 

Like seriously its creepy AF to send your daddio a pic of your arse. RED FLAG , abort this man.

You can do better

Blessings

Rags's picture

First, a 20yo needs to GTF out when a man and woman are starting a new partnership.  20 is an adult.  Barring any mitigating circumstance, she has no business living with her father and his new partner.

Next, it sounds from your original post that his first wife or is she the XW just passed.  If it is the XW, no worries. if they were still married, how long ago did she die?

As for this over sexualized mini-wife pimping herself out to her own father... nope. Do yourself a favor and leave him in your past. NOW!

If  you decide to go forward with a relationship with this buy, mandate that his prior family progeny leave immediately. She is not a minor. Also, when her inheritance pays to her, no relationship resources from you or  her daddy should go to her.  She has an inherritance. She can live on that, go to school on that, invest that, etc....

IMHO of course.

Take care of you.

sickofbs76's picture

I thought I was the only one dealing with so and daughter having a questionable relationship. First they share a bedroom when i met him. There is just a king size bed in the room. She acts like a jealous girlfriend and has mini wife syndrome. During an arguement she yells at her dad " she dont even suck your dick!"   

I never worried if someone was sucking my dads dick and how would she know? Unless they discussed it. I think they have sex to be honest. 

I left and you should too. Its toxic and it will never change all you will do is waste your time end it now and let them live together like the couple they are. 

CLove's picture

Is if smells like sh!t, and looks like sh!t, it is more than likely sh!t.

Sounds like you got out in time, Im so glad.

Tell your story as you see fit.

Olivia2020's picture

I was going through this exactly 4 years ago. It was sickening to see the sultry looks and bare booty pics DaughterWife would send her daddy. He kept tellng me to talk to her because he wasn't man enough to confront her on her ignoring me and being a slob around the house. When I would tell him the photos are very inappropriate to send to a father, he just didn't understand or want to understand. I walked in on them being too physically close and that was it. I hope you can move out and date him, only seeing him when she is not around, meet him at restaurants or spend time away together. It would be interesting to see if they text each other non-stop when she knows you two are together, or drop drama into the dinner/date with you to get all the attention and ruin your time with him. I hope it works out for you, getting yourself and your son away from that little witch is the first step back to having freedom. He is the problem for allowing this to happen and she won't change.

BobbyDazzler's picture

I would run away as fast as possible from this man. I'm sorry but this is NOT normal behavior between a father and daughter. It's not going to change. Get away from this dysfunctional duo asap.