You are here

Adult Step Children have priority

BABS's picture

They think their father should give them priority treatment over step children and step grandchildren. Says: doesn't being YOUR son count for anything, she's not even your son or granddaughter. If I don't get the bedroom I want I will not stay overnight. (31 years Old) Step ages are 21 and 25.

stepinafrica's picture

That is just what they think. They don't have to get something just because they think they should have it. }:)

peacemaker's picture

They have been conditioned to think that way by their parents throughout life....They use the we were here first card or we are your blood card to manipulate and control their parents now...There needs to be a paradigm shift in the the thought process that just because their dysfunctional family did not work out....Everything and everyone in life does not have to return to that moment in time and measure everything from that...They act like their existences is similar to before Christ and After Christ or something...They don't get it that their parents had lives before they were born, and they have new lives now...after the failed relationship happened...They don't think about the fact that we existed before they did...They only refer their perspective that life began when they were born..."In the beginning...there was me...no one before me and none after me that matters"....(Give me a break)...

The shift in thinking first, needs to begin with you...Once that happens they may or may not catch on. My adult step kids..now all married ( all near 40) use to try and convince me that THEY were the ones who were calling the shots in the relationship...but now...They have learned that my DH and I have a sacred union, and at what level WE decide to involve them is absolutely 100% OUR choice...not theirs to dictate...The boundaries we have established are our choice...the acceptance of them is my choice...and they cannot take that away...I choose...not them...How intimate we want to involve them with ourselves is our choice...they do not dictated anything...nothing...notta zero zip oh no....nothing....

And trust me, after being told that their original family unit is none of my business after putting up with their BS for 26 years....I have shown them exactly that...They are absolutely none of my business...total disengagement for over a year now...wow has my life changed for the better....now they are back paddling saying they never meant to exclude me? really...Well I totally meant to keep your toxic way of doing life out of my space...Their family culture is so dysfunctional I would dare to diagnose some of them as psychotic...High Conflict personality disorders...dishonest lying manipulative double minded two faced ...you name it ..they have it....

Shouldn't have pushed me over the edge...now you will see what the world looks like without me...why? Because I choose who I surround myself with, and you are not that person...

Don't let them try to politically maneuver and try and reverse the role and tell you what to do...that is not their position...nor will it ever be...You sit in the parental seat of authority in your family...Whether they like it or not is totally irrelevant...That is your God given position...do not let them bully you out of it...just re-take your seat of authority aback and Stand..

You don't owe them anything...not even an explanation...not a response...not a consideration...nothing...they are out of line... They are wrong dead wrong...being his son is not defined by what room they sleep in..entitlement thinking...demanding BS...it is HIS problem...not yours....do not play the game....

toywas's picture

I turned one of our spare bedrooms into MY gym area - tv, bookcase, and treadmill. The other bedroom I decorated it the way I wanted and I call this my spa room. I go to read, meditate, sleep, watch TV, or just be alone. All of them are coming the end of the month and sorry, DH but that room is taken by ME!!!

I am NOT a hotel for ungrateful assholes!

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Babs, I second beaccouuntable and Dr. Phil: blood may be thicker than water but then again, so is bullshit.

The only answer to a temper tantrum or an ultimatum is to ignore it.
If she won't stay - then so be it. Say sweetly, Drive safe, and close the door.

My skids, who treat DH worse than a dirty, disgusting, smelly and stinky beggar on the street - actually, as DH put it, if someone told them that a beggar was getting this kind of treatment, they would be scandalized - wrote him a letter saying they were his THREE ONLY children !!!!

I LOVE that turn of the phrase! You can't make this shit up.

They meant to say, my kids, his skids, do not matter - even if they love him, it is not the same love, as they are not his blood relatives. Which begs the question: why does he need BLOOD relatives? So that he never forgets what psychologocal maltreatment feels like?

Blood be damned... Narcissists can go cry me a river. No one assigns anything in my home but the hosts.

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

>>>>>If I don't get the bedroom I want I will not stay overnight. (31 years Old) Step ages are 21 and 25.<<<<<

What an attitude! With me they would be leaving because I certainly wouldn't give up our bedroom, or my daughters bedroom (if she were still young and at home). Sleeping bags and blankets on the floor, or one of those inflatable mattresses sounds great to me. Tell them they can "camp out".

If they still insist, you might want to direct them to the nearest motel, but not at your expense.

Ingrates.

sickofitall's picture

Thats pathetic at 31 years old. I would expect that attitude from a teenager-and I would still be pissed and tell them to go to hell! At 31 Id say Dont let the door hit you in the ass!

BABS's picture

Ready for the rest of the story!!!
Against my strong opinion, this happened with be realizing it as it happened, the person that got in the night before and was in the room was asked to move by spouse. I was so furious.....Now per the SC I am a liar and medal in to and control his father. After 9 months the spouse has FINALLY stood up to him. SS NOW says that the rooms should be ASSIGNED by age...OMG..Nope SORRY it will be select a room when you arrive, first come first serve...Now the SS is boycotting well I just won't be coming at least this summer. This place is a summer home where all should be happy and enjoy..

sandye21's picture

You are SOOOO lucky!! Let the entitled brat 'boycott' forever. I am glad you and your DH are standing your ground.

hereiam's picture

If I don't get the bedroom I want I will not stay overnight
Now the SS is boycotting well I just won't be coming at least this summer

Response: "Bummer."