Visitation

chele1972's picture

If the parent is supposed to pick up child for visitation on Thursday from school but doesn't, do you have to let them pick up Fri?
Or can you just be unavailable for the rest of the weekend?

hereiam's picture

You wouldn't HAVE to, I guess, but is there a good reason not to? Other than just being difficult?

Did the parent let you know they were not picking up on Thursday?

I don't know your background story or the whole situation, but it's little stuff like this, unnecessary games, that end up causing a lot of conflict. Not worth it in most situations.

yogasmom's picture

If the entire visitation clause is Thursday to Sunday then, yes, you do unfortunately. Be careful this can vary from state to state. Visitation is time set aside for the NCP. They can take it or not take it any way they want as anoying as that is.

Disneyfan's picture

What does the CO say? ExDF's CO stated that BM had the right to withhold the kids if he was 30 minutes late picking them up without notice. If he was more than 30 minutes late returning them without notice, she could cancel the next visit. The visirs were EOWE-4:30 Friday-4:30Sunday

kaehbee's picture

Not in this country...if you miss pick up you are basically forgoing visitation by the act of missing pickup.

Maxwell09's picture

The way we understand DHs order is that the designated pick up time through the designated drop off time is BMs to do as she pleases. We don't let her interfere with our time and we don't interfere with hers. Think of it this way, if a parent can drop their kid off early during their visitation then they should also be able to pick them up late. A parent has the right to exercise their visitation or not. I would not make plans with the kid because she forgot him that day but if you already have plans made then take him with you. Just be prepared for her to ruin your weekend.

hippiegirl's picture

Why on Earth would you want to keep skid for the entire weekend? To prove a point? And what would that point be, exactly?

Better late than never.

jumanji's picture

Generally speaking, unless the CO specifically states that the NCP foregoes parenting time if they miss a pick-up, the child needs to be available for the duration on that time. HOWEVER, it does NOT mean that pick-up MUST be at the designated place. The CP can say that the NCP must p/u kiddo from wherever CP is (w/in reason).

strader's picture

We had that problem when SS16 started playing football. On friday evenings for BD's normal pickup time, he was suddenly unavailbale on Friday. Friday night football means, watcing the game, then waiting a half-hour for them to get back to the school gym and change and bring them home. Well if it's his son and his weekend to see him, he should be the one picking him up after the game for his visitation. He just decided not to and pick them up Saturday morning. Not only is he not coming to see his son play football, he's not picking him up at the designated time...this went on for the entire football season. SS16 who still think his BD walks on water regardless of us raising him full time for 10 years, doesn't have an issue with his dad doing that.

All my wife and I ask for is for things to be FAIR, and this guy gets out of so much stuff. We are not litigious people, so we never taken him to court for more CS or to enforce these things, you would think people would jsut do the right thing. We always have, and it never benefits us.