SMFRUSTRATED

frustratedstepmom's picture

Hi to everyone,
I new to this site but it's nice to see I'm not alone. My problem is my husband's 22 year old stepdaughter.
To make a long story short his daughter is a complusive liar and always tries to make us fight and of cousre very ignorant to me for the past 3 years. My husband never puts his foot down with her when she would visit. She was only 8 when she started coming by us and it wasn't that bad until she reached 18 years old.
Anyhow I don't have time to write anymore right now. But bottom line I told my husband that I do not want her at the house anymore due to her disrepect to me and for the fact he never tells her anything. It has been over a year like this and he has to find a way to see her when she comes down to visit from Florida. We have been together 18 years now and I'm just fed up and need to know that I'm not wrong in doing this as I'm not going to have this disrespect in my home with my 15 year old son and make her feel it's okay.
Please help, I'm getting desperate as I want to end this relationship if he can't stop treating her like the poor little princess and she does no wrong. I believe it's just guilt on his behalf for not being around and she feeds on it.
Please, please help me.!!

lovin-life's picture

I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm in the same boat as you only for 5 years..co-incidently the issues with princess SD & rose colored glasses Dad began to be a problem when she was 18 as well (almost 19) and moved in with us for 9 months or so.

I too think it is a guilt thing on Dad's part ...and like any child (she's kind of immature for her age..Dad will admit that)they will play their parents if an opportunity presents itself.

I'm hoping counselling will help in my situation...We had our intitial session and I just had my individual session. His is next week and then back together...THAT ONE SHOULD BE INTERESTING!

Counsellor did ask me. What if he doesn't change the way he treats her/you? What am I prepared to live with.....or not...bottom line. AND she told me that I need to take care of me in all this!

Other than that I don't know what to tell you...
How is your communication? Do you guys talk or does he just "defend" her at all costs? And did something happen at age 18 that changed your relationship with SD?

I'm hoping that getting all the issues on the table..with a "referee" so to speak...will help..it's my last resort. If it doesn't I have to look at my options.

I told counsellor...this SD being #1 and the adult relationship being 2nd ..may have helped wreck his first marriage, it will wreck ours...and his next relationship after me..and the one after that..and so on. I'd rather he figured it out now with me...than 5 women later and 10 years down the road.. Smile

Bobbi's picture

How did your husband react when you told him that you didn't want her in your home anymore?

My BF got angry with me one time and told me his daughter was #1 and I was #2...she wins I lose...his words. That was pretty hard to hear. I think they will defend their daughters no matter what it cost them. I also think they do feel guilty and are afraid to say anything because if they do than darling daughter may not love them anymore.

Like, Lovin-Life, my Therapist also asked me what I was prepared to live with if things didn't change...that is a good question. I don't have an answer yet.

Sorry, I forgot to answer you question in my long new comment or should I say explained I just sent.
He wasn't happy at all of course, but to my surprise he agreed but I believe he was hoping I was just upset at the time and I would get over it and each time is daughter and son would visist she would still try and come to the house and knowing that my husband told her it wasn't possible because I don't want her there. She knowingly knows this but yet just to make him feel guilty again and so he can come back and fight with me on this topic and exactly that happens we fight and I saw go to hell I'm stil not changing my mind so leave if you don't like it, he gets over it and same thing happens at every visit, so it can only last so long before we both blow up.
I think he knows deep down that I have been there threw thick and thin and his daughter and him never did have a relationship until now and he doesn't think it's fair to throw our 18 year relationship away for his daughter ( I believe it's probably just for now) when they are still working things out.
Please read my other comment/explanation in order to get a better idea of what I've been going through.
Hang in there, but my adivse is, it's only been 5 years leave now and save yourself the hell later in life, trust me it's been 18 years and nothing did change it just got worse especially when there is a daughter involved, it's too late for me (well maybe not) but not for you since 5 years is better than 18 years of time invested.
keep in touch and let me know how the therapy goes.

lovin-life's picture

I could never say I don't want her in my home anymore..even if that's how I felt. It was all kind of new to me...I had never had to live with a teenager. and I really bent over backwards to make her feel welcome in my home.

She started out sleeping on the couch in our rec room. I didn't think that was good enough for a girl her age...so I took hubby to the nearest home reno store..and bought a french door..made some alterations and put a door & lock on to the room so she could have some privacy. I then took apart my son's bunk beds.and had him put the bed in the room for her....I bought brand new bedding & comforters for her..The rec room become her bedroom/apartment.. only we used it in the evenings for TV and computer..when she was mostly out.

She had no closet for her clothes....so I took every thing out of our downstairs linen closest..installed extra shelves..so she could have a closet of her own.

When clothes were still thrown everywhere..we purchased a $1000 buffet with shelves to be used as extra storage space for her room in addition to the closet.

Every time I bought groceries I made sure her favorite foods were included. I tip toed around my own home...to make sure SHE felt welcome.

Several months ago when discussing issues with oldest SD...I was told...If them or me..it's me all the way. But that was in the context of that situation...that child is not blood..that child was adopted by him. The rules (?) seems to be different for the "blood" child in comparison to the adopted & steps as far I can see.

I have to say ...if someone asked me if I had to choose my children over some guy....I might say my children too.. But it is a different kind of relationship...not compariable to a loving couple relationship. I think the guys think it has to be all or nothing...the primary adult relationship does not have to come second. The parent child bond is a strong one...but most old happy married couples have put the relationship 1st and have provided a united front in dealing with offspring. That's why they perservere for 40 50 60 years and are still happy & loving.

That's the place I want to get to......

Bobbi's picture

I was thinking about your dilemma and I was wondering, is it possible for your husband to go visit his daughter instead of her coming to see him?

Lil's picture

I so agree with what you wrote. Disengaging is a wonderful thing to use. I have the same type of problem going on in my life and it can make you crazy sometimes.

Sometimes I think of things to say just to make myself laugh:

I dream of saying to him "Let's get a divorce because I just didn't realize how much this was going to affect your daughter and her happiness really should come first above all else. I just can't bear to see her so angry and upset".

And if she ever gets married, what I really would love to say to her is "I wish you and your husband the same happiness that you wished for your father and I when we got married!" Wonder if that would make her think. But of course I know not to say that.

I always love the part when you get told that your the adult and should behave accordingly. Well ok but don't you think adult stepchildren with attitudes should also be held responisible for their behaviour and actions?

Fathers (parents in general) that don't talk to their children about their behaviour, respecting others, etc in my book are doing their children an injustice.

I'm a bm too and I hope and pray my child would never behave in such a manner to someone her father is with. If nothing else this whole stepmother experience is only going to make me a better mother for my own daughter when that time arrives.

So maybe I should thank my SD for these lessons I'm learning. Unfortunately it would be way over her head.

Hang in there
Susan

Bobbi's picture

I know this is not nice, but my wish is that my SD marries someone that has a daughter from a previous relationship. Then she will know what it is like to be in my shoes.

Wow I was surprised by the support and opinions. It was so nice to hear whether it was good or bad. I do aplogize as I need to make some things clear as I was rushing out on Friday. I think this may help everyone out there understand my frustrations and the last resort in saying I don't want his SD at our home anymore.
Here I go, Sorry, I didn't get a chance to mention her brother is 18 and he never once had any issues with me has always been respectful with me he was 5 at the time. (Therefore to clarify things, she was 8 and he was 5 at the time)I didn't get a chance to bring him up since he has never been an issue in our lives. When I mentioned my 15 year old son that, it is our sone (my husband and I). I believe my SD was jealous from day one and we got along fine or at least I thought we did becasue yes, I did all the things with her, playing with her, buying her things, making sure she was comfortable in the home whenever both of them visted us to ensure they didn't feel like their now half brother was treated any different. Well to my surprise thinking she liked me alot, at the age of 14, her true colours came out, when I overheard her yet once again (actually at every visit) talking about her mom to my husband and saying how they met and just saying garbage about my husband that his ex would tell her. Therefore I approached my husband and say I didn't appreciate it and he told my SD not to mention it again when she visits and she she lost it and told me she was faking with me all these 6 years and she never did like me and she was only coming to see him not me. I was like WOW!! you little bitch (of course in my mind). Now tell me how would you feel? Sorry the bullshit about being a teen, sorry don't buy it, since she said it's always been this way and it finally just got to her and made her blow up, that's what happens when people bottle things up. Keep in mind her brother never felt this way and never had issues with me and he would be the one to tell her sometimes to stop trying to always cause trouble. Of course I told my husband and yet somehome it was my fault and I need to understand because the divorce was hard on them, so of course I said then why is her brother fine and hasn't ever given trouble, but of course, he can never give me an answer. I continued to still try and keep going and always still respected her for my husband sake and that's when I mentioned at 18 it continued once again, but once again she bottled up more hatred, jealous and saw that her tactics to get her dad and me to break up didn't work so she started up again. She started to disrepect me a few too many times and my husband just sat there and did nothing nor has he ever said in front of me to respect me or this would not be tolerated, so of course knowing this is why she kept doing it over and over again. keep in mind all of our 18 years, this is what I have faced and I'm not allowed to say a word to her nor discipline her, lord forbid the precious angel gets upset. I beleive the biggest problem is she has all the bad traits of her mom (and that you can't change, therefore she will never changd and his son has his traits, which is why he has never been a problem in all our 18 years together). Also the way she talks to her dad is not acceptable and he just shruggs it off or laughs it off anything not to get her upset because she always tries to make him feel quilty and rubs it in that she doesn't see him often maybe 3 or 4 times a year and expects to always be treated like a spoiled brat and don't dare get her upset or she'll say she wants to go or she won't visit in her round about way and sure enough she gets her way, keep in mind I'm talking since she was 14 and even until now and she is 22 years old now. Like get a life you are an adult move on.. She is exactly like his ex wife and has all her ignorant traits and treats her dad the same way his ex used to, so it's like seeing it all over again. At times my husband would notice and finally admits that she can be ignorant, selfish and just like her mom, but then his daughter just keeps on the guilt of not being around and how she missed out with him and then she's an angel again and yet once again his son never any issues, never any guilt to his dad, nothing. Our son together sees the bullshit that goes on wonders himself why dad would make her do that to me, now that's sad and our son understands why his half sister isn't coming to our house because he's sees how ignorant she how disrepectful she is to me and dad does nothing, so that is why I don't feel bad when I said I don't want her at our house anymore. A very important thing I forgot to mention, is my husband never did have a close relationship with his daughter because of all the disrecpect she had towards him and always being such a spoiled brat and of course the ex always using the kids as a pawn or to get more money. She has been spoiled since she was 5 and even uptil now and she is 22 and always got all the atteniton from his ex wife and her side of the family and her brother was never noticed (how sad is that). His daughter always visists him and her half brother (our son together)last, when she down her to visit, because she has to finsih visisting all her side of the family eg. cousins, friends and aunts before she can squeeze him in. His side of the family isn't here so it's just himn and her half brother, so how sad is that. She would send him nasty notes or emails how useless he is and what a terible father he is and she dosen't need him, blah, blah, just to ensure further guilt and of coure the disrepect to me the last serveral times with our son there wondering why is she getting away with this when he knows dad would just kill him if he did that to me. So deceided to out my foot down and say I want no part of her, he needs to deal with her on his on and I don't want her back at our house anymore. (Also, just so you are aware they weren't speaking to eachother prior to this (my husband and SD)for over a year and a half due to the disrecpect and igorance already. Sorry, back to this again, this is when all this bullshit started because she wants her dad to tell me off and say it's our house not mine and why is he allowing his wife to do this. She wants to build this so called reltionship with him and her half brotherand I'm in the way of that (keep in mind the visits have always been there and there was never an issue before and she never did call her dad or half brother in all the 18 years we been together except on special occasions, like come on she still doesn't know her half brother's birthday or his age yet, like please give me a break bitch!!Basically that is the bottom line how it got worse and it's been this way for the past 2 years, sorry not over 1 year as mentioned earlier. I hope this helps clarifies alot of things and I do apologize for this very lenghty note, but I just wanted everyone to understand it's not like I woke up one day and decided not to let come into our home again on her occasionaly vists, because yes if he wants he can go and visit her or make arrangements when she comes down to visit (eg. go for dinner, movie etc) just leave me out of it. My biggest problem is that I have put up with so much for the 18 years and only now within the 2 years she wants to get to know him (so she says, but continues with her tricks, lies and talks bad behind my back to him (my son tells me) and yet he still doesn't say anything to her to defend me, like come on, I'm human, why the hell did you marry me for then.! She needs to know her spot in his life and he needs to let her know, that I'm the wife and you are the child (a so called 22 adult, still acts like a kid) and that's all I expect, if not then I will move on and leave his ass and have a stress free life.
I hope hearing all of this gives everyone a better idea of all the turnmoil I have gone through and keep in mind I was only 23 years old and now at 38 years old I think I will have a nervous breakdown if something ( more like if he) doesn't stand up to his daughter, because enough is enough, she's 22 years old move on with your life!!!
So, please, please help me get him to understand where I'm coming from. We tried councelling over 8 years ago, but still back to the same shit, plus I'm at the point that I don't care and I can't pretend or fake like my SD does to please my husband, that's just not my nature!
Any suggestions or comments will help!

hopeful's picture

So this has been going on for a LONG time. Does your husband know how you feel? Does he care? If he doesn't know how you feel, I would recommend a Retrovaille weekend which focuses on communication...much better than counselling! If he does know how you feel, does he want the marriage to work? The situation isn't likely to change, unless you both want it to...the dynamics of the relationship will be pretty much engrained by now! I know that this was true of my marriage. My stepkids are 29, 26 and 20 and he is still the same when it comes to defending everything that they do...my solution, I ignore it totally! For a while, I just cut myself off from them. I bought my own home and my husband and I continued to see each other. It was good for my spirit and my self worth! I could not stand the fighting anymore! And when all was said and done, his kids weren't happy that their Dad was by himself. So now they are a little better about things and I finally feel like there is some hope. But I wouldn't go back to those fighting, unhappy times for anything! Take care!

sorry for the late reply, but yes it's been going on for over 3 years now. It seems he cares but at the same it doesn't make me feel like he does since he never confronts her for her actions, it's always done when I'm not around or after her visits, he calls and claims he tells her, but yet it still happens, so obvioulsy he's lying, considering he lies alot to me to make me feel it's taken care of just to avoid further arguements. I have tried to leave things alone and let it slide when they talk on the phone by not being around but sometimes I hear how she acts on the phone with him or just catching some of the conversation and I just can't hold it in and have to say to him, like come on you no she's lying or say what an attitude and he excuses it for me hearing something different or finds a reason around it. It's like come on open your eyes up, she's 21 years old and still makes you look like the fool that's why I just can't stand to have that in our house and why it's been over 3 years since she's has come over to the house, because he still lets her says things indirectly about me and knowing she fakes and pretends to like me when he's around. He does admit it, but then goes against me. I wished I would have taped her in the past to prove it to him, but now it's too late since I refuse for her to come over because it's causes too much fights with us and we been together over 13 years now so now it's my turn to say I had enough and you deal with her on your own and keep me out of it. Sorry it hurts him but I've never done anything to her and it's all her jealous she has towards me and her father's relationship that gets to her. He needs to open his eyes and stop treating her like daddy's little girl and let her grow up, remember she's 21 years old now and how will she ever stop if he treats her that way. She needs to live her life now and we should live our lives. Trust me once she has a man in her life (boyfriend), daddy won't matter anymore to her and she wouldn't have the time to interfer with us. All she always wanted was all the attention to her, so once she gets that attention from another man (boyfriend) then things would be different, which hopefully or eventually my husband sees. So is this worth ruining a relationship over, I think not!!! Hopefully he realizes that before it's too late and I walk out the door.
Any comments on this Hopeful..

Corey's picture

Hi I have been married to my husband for 5 yr and everything is great till his daughter comes around. Im at the point where i cant stand the thought of her. She is now living with us which is making things even more than beariable. My husband believes everything she says. Its at the point where the whole family is calling me and i call him he believes no one except her and they are starting to get mad. I am always number 2 when she is around. My daughter who is 14 wont even live with me cause of her (she 16) and to tell you the truth i am glad only for that reason. HELPPPP i dont know what to do anymore the fighting has to stop. I am told by my husband one thing about his daughter and then she goes and does it then he changes his story to make it seem like i am lieing.

Anonymous's picture

I would NOT threaten "her or me" scenario...exactly.

What I would tell husband is that he will repair the damage she creates or he can go with her next time she leaves.....

Leave it up to HIM to resolve all of it. Throw your hands up, and surrender. Ignore her, it'll kill her, trust me.

While I understand the points of people saying for you not to make him choose, I have to tell you that in the case of small children, the child will win.

But she is an adult. She either acts like one or will suffer the consequences of her actions.

And lovin-life: God bless your heart for all that you have done. Please know that not all "steps" are so earnestly welcomed. You have went above and beyond anything my son's "step" mom would have done. When they had their first daughter, my son's bedroom was moved to the basement! It was carpeted and painted, but still a cellar. I didn't find out until years later..... Bless my son for that one or there would have been a homicide and I'd be in jail. But he told me recently, citing "thank GOD she moved me down there, Dad and I get to be alone!". I was still p*ssed though!

I just hope all these step kids someday appreciate all you have tried to do for them.

Hugs,
Biomom

Bobbi's picture

Corey, You are experiencing the same problem I have with my boyfriend's daughter. She can do no wrong in his eyes, and he does whatever she wants. We had an argument one time and he told me I was #2. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, unfortunately, I don't.

They are guilty fathers overcompensating for many reasons. They are "parenting by guilt" when they should be parenting "as if" they were still together in the relationship.

One thing I would do is stop being the middleman when someone has a problem with his daughter. They need to tell him and he needs to hear it directly from them.

I have decided to let it go for now and I'm trying to focus on my relationship with my boyfriend. I also realize, for me, that soon I'm going to have to make the decision to stay or go.

Maybe I'm not the best person to respond because this hits too close to home for me, but if you need to vent, I'm willing to listen.

sheila's picture

I can see my current situation heading down this path. I live with my b/f and his now 17 yr old daughter. She is spoiled rotten, and that is being mild. When i first moved in, she was very welcoming and sociable. She began to ask me to pick her up at school, take her places, go shopping, etc, instead of asking her dad. She did her share of bad mouthing him to me, which i immediately corrected because she has the world handed to her on a silver platter by him. Well as time went on and I continued to confront her on some things, (lies that I knew about, but her father did not), she began to distance herself from me. Then she stepped it up. She began to take my car at night, while i was sleeping, until the night we caught her. She did not have her license at that time. I was pissed as hell that she stole my car...huge violation of trust and boundary issues for me, but i was not allowed to discuss it with her. She was not held accountable and was not disciplined at all. She used that time to cause problems between her father and I, which infuriated me even more, now i was pissed at both of them and since then it has gone down hill. It has been 6 months and in that time he bought her a picture cellphone, which she lost within a week, while being out past curfew...he went and bought her another phone...and stillwas not reprimanded for breakig curfew. He bought her a $13,000 car that she scratched up within a week, was caught being out at 4 a.m., snuck out after being caught, is driving all over hell without his knowledge and he doesnt want to know about it when I try to tell him....the list goes on and on and on. I have heard her on the phone telling friends how she is plotting to get rid of me, etc. SHe does not want anyone around her "daddie" except herself. She even attempts to sabatoge what little relationship he has with his older daughter...who by the way moved out of the house unexpectedly to go live with biomom. hmmmmmmm i wonder why she left. This little 17 yr old princess does NO wrong. WHen she stole my car, he chalked it up to "typical teenager behavior", "shes a good kid", My response? "Good kids do not steal cars". SHe and I have not spoken for 6 months. I feel bad for him, but hell, its his problem too. She is a damn brat and has done more to undermine me than he is aware of. I don't share it with him because he doesn't want to hear it, doesn't believe it. I have basically learned to ignore her and her games, ie: fliritng with her father (ewwwwww), interrupting our conversations, walking into the bedroom without knocking, etc etc. I have learned to focus on my relationship with him instead. He and I get along great until it comes to her. SHe will be leaving for college and I was hoping that would be a new start of some peace and quiet without lies and deceit. Looks like i am wrong. I have some soul searching to do to decide what i am willing to put up with. I certainly do not want to live my life competing with his child for his attention. That's just sick and twisted. She apparently will never be held accountable and i need to decide if i will stick around. Thanks for the eye opener !!

Bobbi's picture

Some things they do are just typical teenage stuff, but a typical teenager would be held accountable by their parents for their actions. If I had stolen my mother’s car, my father would have grounded me for an indefinite amount of time. LOL. My parents believed what the other said, and backed each other in the decisions they made regarding their children.

In a blended family situation, the Bio and Step must present a united front. I don’t know how you can accomplish this when the Bio chooses to believe and side with the child.

hopeful's picture

I can relate to what you are experiencing but try not to intervene or get involved. The more that you say about the daughter, the farther the distance you will drive between your BF and you. Some things are blatantly wrong and I do agree with you about this. However, I guarantee that daddy will not see this until he has to. My stepson was actually selling drugs and when I contronted daddy, he didn't do a thing. That precipitated me getting my own house because if that was putting me and my family at risk. Since then my stepson has settled down and made some good choices. So hubby and our are working on getting our marriage on track. It is difficult...I can empathize with you but I guarantee you this is something that you won't fix...he has to. But also consider your boundaries...when does that lack of respect for your property, your feelings, your partnership become an issue that impacts your sense of self. You are not just competing for his attention, you are competing to have an identity and some respect as his significant other. I wish that I had done things differently but things are better now. Good luck, Sheila and be good to you!

Bobbi's picture

Hopeful, that is good advice and something I wish I would have known to do right from the beginning.

sheila's picture

In my particular case, the child rules the roost. Heaven forbid she gets mad.

Bobbi's picture

My boyfriend's daughter also runs the show.

I guess I’m having a hard time making a decision, because I really do love my boyfriend very much and don’t like to give up. I also have some feelings of guilt of my own. I had never dated anyone who had children and knew nothing about what made a blended family successful, so I was completely unprepared going in. I have made mistakes and can’t help feeling that if I hadn’t made those mistakes maybe things would be different. I just wish I knew then what I know now and had a place like this to come in the beginning.

How long have you been together?

sheila's picture

and the only issues we fight about is the darling little princess. Thanks for the suggestions and it has been working the last several months because i HAVE dropped the majority of the issues. I stay out of everything between b/f and his daughter. Bobbi, i am amazed at how much we have in common. I do not have my own children and sometimes this does put me at a disadvantage and he has attempted to use that against me. However, NOT having children enables me to see things differently. I am not clouded by the "my child is perfect" syndrome and am much more aware of the games she is playing. I have a different point of view which can be helpful....if i were allowed my say. I have found that not discussing her is the best option at this point. We live together but are not married. I moved into his home so I feel that too puts me at a disadvantage. Things have settled down immensely since i have taken the attitude that I simply choose to just be myself. I don't allow her to rattle my cage anymore. ALthough, there was a time there, for several weeks, that she insisted on keeping me up at night with loud music from the computer or the tv blaring and sometimes both. (Her dad works nightshift). I let this go on for over two months; never said a word to him or her about it. Then after i finally mentioned it to her it got worse. So after not having a good night's sleep for a very long time, she woke me up at 4 a.m. with noise ie; slammin the microwave, utility room door, tv blasting,,,,etc. I got up and yelled at her. Needless to say she cried to daddy the next day, he and i had a fight and i told him i am done with her pushing the envelope with me. There has not been any more noise at night and her games have changed. SHe still does other stuff to try and get a rise but i refuse to get angered.

like others here, i love her dad very much and he's a great partner. We have a lot of fun together and I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Thank God for this forum !!!!

Bobbi's picture

We have been together for 5 years, but I had to laugh when I was reading your post, because you are not kidding when you say we have a lot in common. I too am not married to my BF and also live in his house. I have been reminded of that in the past when we have had discussions regarding his daughter. She has also kept me up at night with her loud music. LOL. These two must be cut from the same cloth.

1 1/2 years into our relationship is when things started to get really rough. I'm not saying this is going to happen to you, just prepare yourself as best you can. You have a lot more resources and knowledge than I had going in and that is a very good thing.

I can't stress this enough...let him handle her and do not get involved. You need to be nice to her even if she isn't being nice to you. If it gets to be too much, leave the room and go find something to do.

I wouldn't bring up things about her to him unless it is something that is directly effecting you (like her keeping you up all night), but go to him with the problem, not her and stay calm when discussing it with him. Let him handle it.

I'm only saying these things because I have made some mistakes and it has caused some real problems in my relationship.

The two of you need to work together, but he needs to see that you are not just this mean person picking on his daughter.

Keep in touch.

sheila's picture

Dang girl!! Are you sure you are not my clone or something? I cannot tell you how good it feels to have someone who actually KNOWS what all this is like. Alot of your suggestions I have already put into action, several weeks ago, and yes, it has made a huge difference. He doesn't treat me like the outsider anymore and the alliance he and his daughter have is not shoved down my throat on a daily basis. He has actually witnessed her behavior and has opened his eyes to some things. He has a long way to go, but I truly do stay out of it. Even when I know she is lying to him, i don't say anything. He doesn't want to hear it and it makes him think i am "pickin on her". I am not doing that, but that is how he sometimes viewed it. Too defensive. I brought up one lie to him recently that effected what she was told to do by him. I approached him by saying I was giving him the information and what he chose to do with it was his business, and that I felt that if I did not tell him, then I felt like I was lying/keeping things from him and i don't like being in that position. He was fine with my telling him and it was not discussed any further. It's hard watching her walk all over him and take advantage of him. It has gotten a little easier to bite my tongue and the closer he and I get, the easier it is. I have always known to "choose my battles", but this young lady is so out of control that it is worrysome. I love kids and have never had a problem getting along with them. I have been a step parent before as my husband (divorced 7 yrs) had a 12 yr old son that i got along great with. I am sad to say since the divorce, things changed and he will not communicate with me. I sense the loyalty to his faterh. However, I am learning that gender plays a big part in all this. Also, his father and I were married. In my current situation, as you know, i am not. I don't like the fact that she and i are not talking but i have no idea how to correct that. SHe is so fake, phoney, and a patholigical liar that i don't know what kind of a relationship there could ever be. SHe "used" me early on, to get what she wanted, just like what she does to her father. I am not her parent and i don't have to put up with it. I also know this all hurts him as well, and that bothers me. I have tried to mend fences with her, even though she has never apologized for stealing my car, but she doesnt participate. At first, he supported her on that and made me feel like such an outsider I just wanted to pack up and run like hell. Since that time and after numerous discussions about this, he has "sided" more with my point of view and told her she needs to speak to me. She started too......was saying "good by" to me when she would leave the house....she did this for 2-3 weeks consistantly......before her birthday!!! She got 20 bucks from me for her birthday and has not said a word to me since. I think he has noticed this as well. Anyway.........please stay in touch. I can learn alot from you.

Bobbi's picture

Sheila, When I read your post all I could do was shake my head and say, I know exactly what you are talking about. LOL.

I too have noticed a difference since I have stepped back, but I don’t let myself get too comfortable. I never know what’s around the corner.

I have a 12 year old nephew and we have a great relationship. He is such a nice boy and we have a lot of fun together. I sometimes think I might have had an easier time if my boyfriend’s daughter would have been a boy.

I tried developing some type of relationship with her early on, but I too started to feel like I was being used. I would take her places and buy her things, but I never got the same feeling from her that I get from my nephew. She has this standard “thank you” line she delivers after you have done something nice for her, but I don’t feel too bad about that because she does the same thing to her father.

I have caught her in so many lies it’s not funny, but I no longer say anything. He’s going to have to figure it out for himself…or not.

The thing she does that bothers me the most (and I just have to leave the room) is when she doesn’t feel like her father is “entertaining” her enough (taking her someplace or buying her something) and she will say to him “I want to go back to mommies.” He panics and says “Honey, what do you want to do, just tell me, I’ll do whatever you want to do.” This one is the hardest and she does it often.

Now, I just try to be polite and try not to let her bother me. I think she is setting herself up for some real disappointments in the future and her father right along with her, but my hands are tied. I just didn’t want to see her end up like her mother. She has had 2 jobs in the 5 years I have known her; the first for 2 weeks and the second for about a month. She doesn’t have a car, lives with her mother, and when she gets a boyfriend, she uses them for what she can get and they end up dumping her. It’s sad.

I hope things keep improving for you. Keep me posted Smile

hopeful's picture

Never too late to change your response to things...that is what I made a commitment to do. I am not saying that my response is right or wrong or good or bad but it works for me! I had to make some changes because it was evident that nobody else was going to and I wasn't happy! Take care Bobbi!

lovin-life's picture

I'm more at peace with things lately, I'm not seeing the same behaviour from hubby or SD that I have in the past. Could it be that...I'm not actively looking for it either!! Or could it be that..things have been shaken up a little and everyone has re-evaluted what they were doing? Little of both?

We are focusing on each other. We've taken up walking together...to hang out away from the TV & computer, get in shape, de-stress. We're supposed to find 'new' things to do..'date'..etc. We are such creatures of habit..that's all we've come up with..lol We need to work on that more..but we are having fun with each other.

We went to the show with SD & Fiancee this weekend...that was good. Had turkey with them on Sunday..that was good.

I'm just not focusing any energy on anything else...just enjoying the moment!

I'm like Bobbi (SD)& Fearless (X & In-laws)..and so many others in that..I don't want to give him up. The situation may not be 100% to my liking, but there is sooooo much good in the mix that I'm not willing to let go.

Change your response to things.....sometimes easier said than done. But it really does work!!! I don't know if I could have done it without him meeting me in the middle as far as wanting to stay happily together.

We still haven't resovled our initial argument over SD letting my daughter play against my wishes....but we've (I've) dropped it. We don't see eye-to-eye...probably never will.

I don't understand his 'defense' of her and he doesn't understand my 'attack' of her....but we have to learn how to agree to disagree. The counsellor...sees both sides...and both perspectives ...she says we each have valid points of view. I have to accept her unbiased, unemotional, proffesional opinion and learn to agree to disagree...for the sake of everything else that is wonderful in our relationship....

(Although I think I'm right....and he's wrong.....lol!! )

We don't live under the same roof of SD...so it's not so in-my-face as some of you...

And I think she truely wants us to stay together....I think the possibility of us breaking up....opened her eyes a little. Way back when she may have wanted us split..and some of her behaviour was maybe a carry over or 'habit'

I love the...don't give them the satisfaction of 'yanking your chain'..type advice. It really is true..don't let them 'rent space inside your head' as someone else put it....keep that space free for all your 'happy, peaceful thoughts' . Smile

PS
The happier WE are together...the more time WE want to spend together...the tighter WE are as a couple..the more thoughtful, nurturing and all those wonderful things that go with that.

If all you do is bitch & complaint (me)or act like a bone-head (him)...in all reality...who wants to be around that? It makes sense, and it can start by changing your reponses. (tip-start really small) Oh and something Nise said a way back helped me too...she will still make him supper..even if she's mad at him. It made me think...If during our huge blow-up ..if he had stopped and gave me a hug or a kiss..that would have diffused things soooooo much. It would have taken a different turn. Well, ya know!! I could've done the same thing...with probably the same result. I have to look at how I respond, my anger, my reactions to things said & done...its not always about me. So I'm trying to not loose sight of 'our underlying baggage' and how it affects us & our relationship...he has his own defense mechanisms..as do I. We have to learn to work with our/each others imperfections..for the greater good and our happiness! Smile

He has different life experiences than me...and as a result we think differently on some issues. I think I can live with that!!