You are here

I always have to chuckle when I see this Forum Topic - Step-Parents have NO rights?

Orange County Ca's picture

And fortunately no obligations either in ten words or less.

Gofersatchmo's picture

I need help. I have a 19 soon to be 20 year old unmotivated step daughter. So here goes, she has been back in my house now for one year, she pleaded with her mother to take her back in. What had happened, was she one day, called her mother some really vile names and told her to F**** off. At that point I took her car keys from her for the vehicle that I had bought for her. She was told to pack up her things, and to look for another place to live. She moved in with her father, who did not feed her or help her with anything in terms of money. She was existing on junk food, she started to gain weight at a rapid rate. So one day a year ago she came begging and pleading to her mother that she would be a shining example of the entitlement generation. She was told that she needed to do chores and to clean her bedroom. Now a year later, she hasn't loaded the dishwasher, or done anything to help. She always pissy around her mother, and rarely says anything to me. All she wants to do is to hang with her friends, and do nothing. I have talked with my wife regarding her future, (because living here until eternity is not and option), such as getting educated, and making something of her life, but to no avail, my wife is scared of pissing her off and "losing" her. I'm at my wits end, and do not know what to do except threaten to leave the whole bunch of them to fend for themselves. I really do not want to do that. Any help would be appreciated. Oh by the way, I really mean it when I call these money sucking females "the entitlement generation". They really think that a new car and house are forthcoming and that you really don't have to work for it. Thank you for letting me vent, I feel less homicidal now Smile just kidding you know!!!

Orange County Ca's picture

I agree with you that your only option is to leave the mess with but one exception. Are you the sole owner of your house? In that case you can simply threaten to call the police to have a "unwanted person" removed from the house. Have a copy of your title handy to show the police if you actually have to call them. Or change the locks and refuse everyone else including wife a key until her stuff is out.

Give everyone plenty of notice of course - the end of June is sufficient. OK maybe end of July.

Assure wife you will take the blame so she and SD can both blame you. It'll be worth it and frankly its in the girls best interest. If she continues to think she's entitled what will happen with all the parents and inheritance is gone? (Remind your wife of that). Answer: The same thing that happened to my brother when he lived at home until his parents literally died out from under him. He's to turn 65 in October and drives a taxi for money and rents a room. No drugs involved - just never had to grow up until it was too late.