Child Support

TLina's picture

So this is my situation...ANY advice is very welcomed! My boyfriend and I want to get engaged but we are unsure how our union will affect child support. He and his ex have a daughter; they were never married and never lived together. Basically he knocked her up, they decided to keep the baby, and while she has custody, he gets their daughter once during the week and weekends...and pays the legal child support. My question is this, when we marry, can his ex come after me for child support?! i've read conflicting answers online and would LOVE some help with this. We will be seeing a lawyer, but waiting is driving me crazy! I work but not fulltime or even "guarenteed hours". ANY THOUGHTS!?!?!

Disneyfan's picture

How does New York handle this? DF wants to get married next year. I'm stalling because I need to know that the greedy BM won't be able to touch anything of mine. I told him I will not do joint accounts. I leaning toward not doing joint tax returns. Hoping that will keep her from finding out how much I make. Found out a few months ago she has been trying to get that info. She asked DF how many degrees I have and how long I've been teaching. She even asked him which step I was on. He didn't know the answer to 2 of the questions. He had no idea why she was even asking.

doll faced sm's picture

While she can't technically go after *your* income, she can request the court refigure her ex-husband's expected contribution to your joint household *based* on your income. If his expected contribution to his household is now much less (say he brings home 25% of your household income and you bring in 75%, then he is only expected to contribute 25% towards rent/mortgage, bills, food, etc.) than it was when the CO was entered, the court may rule that he has more discretionary income and is therefore able to pay more in CS.

And yeah, definitely tell DH to keep BM out of your business. If the court doesn't demand it, don't offer it.