You are here

Is there an age that a child can decide who to stay with?

maggie925's picture
Forums: 

We have sole custody with no unsupervised visitation with the BM. When, where, ect. is at our discretion. However, my SD is now 14yo and I was wondering what her rights are. If (and that's a stron "if") on the slight chance her BM shows up one day, can SD just go with her without our permission? I always wonder about these things around the holidays, as if normal holiday stress isen't bad enough.

laurels4u's picture

On where you live and what the law says regarding C&V. In our state, children have to be 12 and extremely mature and emotionally stable before a judge will allow him/her to choose which parent to live with. If the child is 12 but is emotionally immature, like an 8 y.o., then that child is told where s/he will live based upon what the judge and a CP determine. I'd contact your lawyer for advice, especially if you're worried.

maggie925's picture

We live in FL.I am not worried. I am aware of the 12yo age thing. The BM is a Prostitute/Stripper married to a Convicted Felon. We have sole custody with no unsupervised visits since SD was 18 months old. My question is: SINCE SD IS NOW 14, IF BM SHOWS UP, CAN SD JUST GO WITH BM WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION?

"Walk slow and watch for snakes"

Anne 8102's picture

And like Steve says, if the BM takes her against your husband's permission, then it is kidnapping and you should call the police.

~ Anne ~

"Adjust on the fly, or you're going to cry."
Steve Doocy, The Mr. and Mrs. Happy Handbook

laurels4u's picture

said, "Is there an age that a child can decide who to stay with?" I answered that question.

alwaysthemom's picture

worry about the day when BM decides she may be mature enough to raise skids, cause after all, she's their MOTHER. Right now skids only want to go "live with their mom" when #1 they're not getting their way or #2 they're having a bad day. I say over my dead body because she is not a stable adult and never will be from her track record. But who am I to make that choice?

My kids biggest cheerleader

Anonymous 2's picture

My husband was awarded full legal and physical custody of his 2 daughters in 2001 when they were 8 and 13. Investigation stated 'mother is unable to put her needs ahead of the children'. Counseling was court ordered due to 'mental and physical abuse children have experienced in their mothers home.' No therapist or judge would order supervised visitation or stop visitation. Fast forward thru weekly therapy, behavioral hospitals, intervention programs and oldest daughter at 16 decides she wants to live with mother. We report to police as runaway (this is Alaska). They speak to her, officers say there is nothing they can do. Therapist say it is best to allow her to live with her mother at 16 cause you can not restrain child or force them. Child drops out of school, gets tattooed, etc, etc. Bio mother has a 'bad night'-gets drunk and takes a gun to another minor that was living with her and is arrested. This is in 2005. Also history of domestic violence with boyfriend and suicide attempts. Spends 2 months in jail before 3rd party. Plea bargains. We track down child and bring her home. She stays with us about 6 months, we filed court papers but didn't even get a hearing and again she runsaway to mom. Report to police, they talk to her, say there is nothing they can do. We are in and out of court for the next 6 months. Judge let her decide where she wanted to live because she refused to live in our home. She is now a 19, a HS drop out, unemployed, unmarried, pregnant and living with her boyfriend and his mother. Leaves phone messages for us wishing us a slow death as we 'ruined her mothers life'.
Now for her younger sister who also was in weekly therapy since 2001. No behavioral hospitals or interventions for this child, just weekly therapy and watching what her sister went through. In 2007, at 15 yr old she goes to bio moms for spring break as ordered in visitation and refuses to return to our home saying she is happy at her mothers. Mom gets attorney, files for custody. Remember, this is the woman who got drunk and took a gun to a minor in 2005, 2 months in jail, conviction and on probation order not to drink or do non rx meds. We report to police as runawy, they interview child and mother -say there is nothing they can do 'cause child refuses to return home. Depositions filed where child claims she needs her mother to be happy (I won't go into the emotional blackmail and guilt trip this 'mother' put on her own daughters - if you don't live with me I will kill myself). 10 month later case is finally heard, judge fixates on fact that child is 16 and in deposition has said she is happy living with her mother. Bio mother is granted physical custody, we ask for legal or joint legal. Judge denies joint legal custody 'cause mother refuses to talk to kids father.
Don't know about the law in your state but this is in direct conflict with what family law in Alaska says should happen but it doesn't matter. The Judge has final say. Kids know they can do what they want. Mother now has physical and legal custody of child. You have no guarantee even with the law on your side.