You are here

Separation papers

AKsc's picture
Forums: 

My ex husband and I, filed separation papers with SC court systems. In those papers, we had it stated no overnight guests unless remarried. 

Final divorce papers left out that part. No wording about taking it out, it's just not mentioned. 

Legally does that still stand? 

AgedOut's picture

are you divorced? if yes, and it's not in there at all then it's at your discretion although he can still refile w/ the courts if he thinks you are harming any children w/ bringing someone in. Tred carefully. Please

and you could do the same should he be bringing in dubious haracters and having sleep overs w/ them while the kidlets are in home w/ him. 

(check younger moms/sm's opinions though, things may be different now)

la_dulce_vida's picture

I think it's highly controlling and unreasonable for an ex-spouse to control the guests their former spouse has overnight. Unless your ex has demonstrated poor judgement and brought over felons or druggies around your children, there is no basis to control the future relationships your ex might have. If the courts deemed your ex spouse capable of supervising children and he has some form of custody or visitation, then he can decide for himself who is allowed to stay overnight.

Requiring that neither of you can have over night guests until re-marriage is uber controlling and suggests some bitterness or jealousy.

Rags's picture

papers purposefully.  

If the Judge has considered both parents safe as either the custodial parent or NCP with visitation, neither X has any say nor any business haveing input on what each other does in their private lives whether the Skids are present or not.  Within the bounds of decency.

IMHO of course.

In my case, though I blessedly did not pollute my gene pool with my cavern crotched skank whore of an XW, as she and my now XFIL were driving off with her stuff in his truck and trailer the locksmith van pulled up to re-key the locks.  They did not see the locksmith show up.

Diablo

While the locksmith was re-keying the locks I called a former GF for a date. The next mid AM there was banging on the door to the house.  I wrapped a towel around my waist and went to the door.  My then STBXW was standing there ranting that her key no  longer worked. Nope, she moved out, she no longer had access to my residence whether she was co-owner or not. Her rant went on loudly for some time until she cut off the rant mid sentence when a beautiful blonde walked up behind me wapped in a sheet.  

My XW lost her proverbial shit and I gave her a message along the lines of  'you ride every available Johnson within reach for our entire marriage and are pregnant with your geriatric Fortune 500 Exec' sugar/baby daddy's spawn and you are mad that I had a date last night?.... see you in court. Buh bye.'

Once a separation or divorce occurs, neither X should get any say in the life of the other. Kids or no kids. Fortunately I had no kids with my XW so once the divorce was final I have never layed eyes on her.  Though she did decide I was her "best friend" and she needed me to tell her what to do regarding her 2nd OOWL pregnancy with the geriatric sperm donor sugar/baby daddy.  She lost the first one she was knocked up with to miscarriage a few weeks after she moved out of our home.  She was pregnant with the second during our divorce hearing.When she got lippy with the Judge about returning to her maiden name and the Judge threatened to force her to take a pregnancy test before granting that request she just about dumped a load in her pants.

Dirol

That could have backfired on me hard as it may have required that I go through a protracted effort to not have that spawn assigned to me on the birth certificate since we were still married at that spawn's conception.

I am glad I dodged that bullet. Neither the miscarriage nor the viable pregnancy could have been mine. It had been 8-12mos since we were last intimate.

ESMOD's picture

Unless the divorce decree references that the terms of the separation agreement are in effect.. I doubt it is in effect any more.

I guess the question is... are you concerned that YOU would be breaking this rule? or is your EX seeing someone and you are concerned about THEM?

I think the bottom line is that generally, once you decide to divorce.. and have custody sharing.. you both have to a certain extent that the other parent will parent as they see fit on their own time.. and that includes decisions about who they introduce the children to.  A limitation like that may have some logic behind it when the kids are very young.. but honestly.. at some point.. both of you need to move on and stop worrying yourselves over the personal lives of your EXes.. You trusted them to have a child with them.. you will have to trust them to make good choices with the kids too.  

If you have specific concerns about a person.. that could be a danger? that's a different issue.. and it won't matter if they spend the night or not.