You are here

Polygraph test

kathycrosbyvt's picture
Forums: 

I'm currently in a ugly custody battle with my ex. Based on some huge allegations from my ex-husband we have this awful mess. I KNOW he's lying but there is no proof so it really comes down to he said she said in court. If I could prove he was making all this stuff up he would be in a LOAD of trouble with the court. My question is do family court ever use polygraph test as evidence in court? Does anyone know if this is ever done for family court?

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

Polygraphs are falling out of use in general. They have shown to be faulty and many courts will not allow their results as evidence.

What kind of stuff is he making up? If its not the occasional tiny lie there should be ways to find the truth. I mean have someone speak to the kids, demand tax returns, dig up stuff through social media. Most courts are stupid and can see through the "I'm prefect" tale.

mommadukes2015's picture

Polygraphs are not admissible in court. They're pseudo science to be perfectly honest. I would trust a bank robber before I'd trust the outcome of a polygraph.

mommadukes2015's picture

However psychological evaluations on the other hand have built in lie scales. PM me if you want more info.

But getting a psychological evaluation without some some of proof showing requirement is going to be near impossible?

mommadukes2015's picture

No, most courts order them in high conflict situations anyway. You just have to file a petition.

mommadukes2015's picture

And know how to play the game. I don't want to put that info out there for just anyone to use and abuse but you have to make sure you tell the truth and don't just try to "make yourself look good" because the test accounts for it and it will come back to bite you.

kathycrosbyvt's picture

Here is the situation....My ex went away for two weeks and our 17 year old son went over to take care of the dogs, water plants ect. My sister and her 16 year old daughter live with me. My niece would go over with my son sometimes when he did this. My ex husband has for YEARS been looking for a reason to get full custody of our younger two children mostly so he would not have to pay child support. When he came back from vacation he accused my niece of stealing $700 and even went as far as filing a police report against her. I know he's lying about this just to try and make it sound like our kids should not be around my niece as she's a bad influence. This is why we are in court as he's trying to use this to get full custody. So as you see there is really no way to PROVE he's lying about this but he's driving up my attorney fees fighting this nonsense.

This is a joke. You're lawyer shouldn't have to put much time into fighting it.

The man has no proof any money was stolen nor that the girl took it.

Even then her actions so not reflect on you or your ability to raise the children. They are not in harm's way either even if it is a case of theft.... so what it's not them or you.

You lawyer needs to basicly show this is a stupid case that shouldn't have been present in the first place and he needs to try and have the judge order your ex to pay your lawyers fees. It's a missus of the court, their time, and their power.

Your niece also should consider sueing him for slander.

mommadukes2015's picture

In addition to all of that, changing custody without showing that you are somehow unfit as a parent or are placing your children in danger or neglecting them in some way is slim to none. Accusing a cousin of stealing something, with no proof, is none of those things. I can't tell you what we went through waiting for BM to mess up big enough to fight for custody. We had called CPS on her for abandoning the children, pumping them full of melatonin and leaving them alone overnight while she was at the bar, smoking pot in the car with the kids, not having running water, heat or electricity before SS finally missed enough school to warrant a truancy call from the school. That's how we got him. The rest? She got away with and she WAS actually a neglectful, manipulative, drug/alcohol abusing jerk.

Ispofacto's picture

This.

Our BM is a lying, grifting, thieving POS, and they only way we got custody was for chronic truancy, medical neglect, and PAS.