You are here

Different Custody Agreements

ElizabethLauren's picture
Forums: 

We need some fresh ideas for custody agreements. (They have joint custody and we pay child support every month.) As of now, we have SD5 every other weekend and in the summer starting the 3rd Sunday after school lets out until 1 week prior to school beginning. (And alternating holidays) It's been this way her entire life. This means we have SD for about 6-10 weeks straight in the summer with BM getting her every other weekend then. BM lives 70 miles away. We meet in the middle (about 40 min drive). As of now, no one plans to move closer to the other. Is this custody agreement pretty much our only option? Either way... what are your custody agreements, whether you live in the same school district or not?

AlexandraL's picture

My gf had a similar situation where she lived in her house part of the week with her kids and then her exH came and stayed with the kids (in the once marital home)the other part of the week. My gf stayed with her mother when the ex was with the kids and the ex had his own apt for when he was not with the kids. They did this for a long time, but not anymore. Honestly, I have no idea how they made this work but they both felt good about it.

ElizabethLauren's picture

While I understand the convenience this suggestion might have for SOME families. It would never work for us. We actually have two very separate families. My husband and I have our own children and BM does also. SD is an equal part of both families, but nothing is shared other than her. I'm curious about other peoples' agreements and what we may be able to incorporate into ours over time.