You are here

And if BM actually DOES only work 5 hours a week... can she be ordered to work full time

step off already's picture
Forums: 

Follow up to previous forum post.

BM states she makes $13 per hour but only works 5 hours a week. We are custodial but really want to get child support from her.

Can't she be ordered to work full time? Or at least get a minimum wage job for the other 35 hours a week?

It seems sill that DH and I bust our butts to provide for SS, take care of him day in and day out and she just sits at home, goes to the gym and smokes pot.

Sunflower1's picture

I think in this kind of case, they figure the CS based on if she worked full time at min. wage, but I could be wrong. I don't think the court can order BM to get a job though :/

LOL - wouldn't that be nice:

BM must get a job to support her child!

what a concept.

Anon2009's picture

Rags and I mentioned getting a PI to investigate her. You should look into it. DH and I have had to do this with BM and given what he found, it was so worth it. It would be very interesting to find out how this BM spends her time when not working, if she works more than she says she does, etc.

It is so sad when someone will spend money on pot (or alcohol or any other drug) but won't spend it on their kids.

I did look into a PI yesterday and they want a $1200 retainer for 10 hours which they thought was a good start to get what they need.

We aren't in a position to spend the money right now, but it's helpful to know.

I was, however, able to verify her employment and pay at her current employer - and it is 5 hours a week! (That's disgusting if you ask me when you have a 13 year old son).

But, she's stated that she has another job to the mediator and from what SS13 tells us, she definitely is gone more than 5 hours during his visist.

Anon2009's picture

That's so sad.

If you watch the Steve Wilkos Show, you'll see he has so many moms and dads like her as guests. They can get money to do drugs, get themselves a home, and all these other things, but they never send any money to their kids, or use it to go visit them. So sad.

Since this 5 hour job is the one we know about and since she's such a liar, dh thinks this give hour job is just her cover up job so that if we try to hit her for support she can just say that she only works five hours a week.

Who does that? Since 2006, this woman has literally worked at his job for 5 hours on average a week.

TASHA1983's picture

If these piece of shit BMs aren't working (or barely working) they are either just living off the CS they get and/or the Govt...must be nice! Sad

I really wish justice for those of us who actually do the right thing in these blended family situations would hurry the fuck up!
*sigh* Rant done.

Our BM has absolutely no excuse not to work. When she was with DH, she made $40k a year. She quit her job when she skipped out on him and SS when she decided to be a lesbian and spend her days drinking henessy and smoking pot.

She's not the custodial parent and she certainly doesn't involve herself with any of the things involved with raising her son.

She has him EOWe now but just has him sit and play video games. She tells him they'll go somewhere special, he'll tell us all about it for the two weeks between visits and then after his visit, he'll tell us that they didn't go but his mom says they'll go next time.

MISERABLE WOMAN!!!

soy_girl's picture

In my DHs divorce, the judge issued a "return to work order" for BM. She was court ordered to submit a log of all the jobs she applied for each month and was supposed to apply for at least 15 a month. She never did any of that.. No contempt or anything from the court. BUT, eventually the court imputed a potential income for her as if she had a job. That potential income was used to recalculate CS. So, it paid off in the end for DH.

Rags's picture

As for BM being ordered by a court to work full time. Probably not. However, if she is voluntarily unemployed or under employed the court can impute an income to her for CS calculation purposes. Usually a full time income based on her qualifications or if unskilled a full time income based on minimum wage.

When she was actually with DH, she was making $40k a year as a bookkeeper. That was over 7 years ago.

Now she works or "states she works" only 5 hours a week at $13 per hour. I checked her employment history with this company and she has seriously been here since 2006 working on average 5 hours a week.

DH thinks its her "cover" job - because who in the world would actually only have a job like this? For 7 years!?

So she either has another job that she hides for us... or she's definitely "under" employed.

Rags's picture

Have your attorney subpoena her tax returens including W-2s. Not check stubs. Actual tax returns.

We had to do this with my SS's SPermIdiot. Then we had to get a PI to video him taking under the table payments as plumber. His company had him on payroll for 25hrs/wk and was paying the rest under the table.