You are here

50 mile max limit on how far you can live from SK's?

MarriedwithChild's picture
Forums: 

Is there ANY possible way to get out of a maximum limit of 50 miles on living away from my ss5? I am so confused here, it is stated in the original order that my dh can not live more than 50 miles away from his ss5 (his X has primary residence?) This is also based on a 50/50 custody split. It is (for now) 40/60 my dh in the minus because ss5 raises he-- about not being with his "mommy" if you get my drift.

Okay, but now I am pregnant with my DH and I DO NOT want to live in this city!!! (no work, low pay)State of Florida, by the way... Any way to get out of these chains?

Thanks!!!!

soverysad's picture

In our state you have to go back to court and get permission to relocate. Unfortunately, with dh getting 40% the judge likely will want to reduce his time because they believe children need some stability in the community to have common friends, etc.

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" and you can't change crazy!!

So if my dh moves further than 50 miles he will get even less time than 40%? I'm just perplexed how everyone has to cater to wherever his X lives...even the new baby and myself. There is zero work here and not much to do- want to move more south here in FL.

Thanks soverysad!!!

soverysad's picture

DH and I had to move back to the town where Wingnut lives to get 50/50. We now live 70 miles away from my work. Fortunately, I am able to work from home most of the time. BUT if Wingnut chooses to move again, we can argue it and she'd likely lose custody. She tried to move 3 hours away and the court told her no. If you were doing the 50/50 thing like the court order says, you'd have a better chance of petitioning the court based on the economy and being approved to move since SS is so young, but you'd still have to get a change in custody for school purposes unless you agreed to transport to and from school on school days.

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" and you can't change crazy!!

Amazed's picture

You'd give up your joint custody status and have to be bumped to full on non-custodial which will likely raise your CS...

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." ~Judy Garland

Oh joy!!! Lovely, just lovely. All very bad news for me but all great for dh's X.

Wow. I'm literally "stuck" in this town because of one kid and one ex wife. Guess the laws do not care about the welfare of other babies/ moms.

Thanks for all the advice though!!! I don't know about this pregnancy/ marriage, I'll be chained to a pathetic town to a nutty X-wife and her kid...not cool.

Time to seriously think about MY life and well being here?

melis070179's picture

DH & BM had 50/50 custody with BM as custodial, and we live in a different state. Of course, we rarely see SS but the judge will do anything they can both agree on usually.

"I child proofed my whole house, but they STILL get in!"