You are here

Why does “we” bother me when it’s him and his ex?

Anna21's picture

DH and his ex have been divorced for 12 years. Of course they have two kids together SD20 and SS16. Even though they have fought in court, she has put us through hell and back, he at times uses “we” and it drives me crazy. I am not sure if I am being rationale. I think if he said “his mother and I think.....” it wouldn’t bother me. What do you all think? Thanks!

Sleep2dream65's picture

My now ex used to talk about his ex wife as a ‘we’ sometimes as well.  At totally unnecessary times.  They had a road trip across the United States from California to Pennsylvania - actually when they ended up getting married.  And he would talk about this trip with her and say things like “we were at this place in ____ and it was amazing.”   And I would say “why can’t you just say that you were in a place and you found it to be amazing”.  I said that I don’t talk about things I used to do with my ex and say “oh well we used to sit by the river and watch the geese and it was so nice”.   Like I said, it just felt unnecessary to always talk in the ‘we’.  So I understand where you’re coming from.

Twix's picture

I get it. The 'we' makes it sound like they are team. 

Heck, it even bothered me when DH would say things to the skids like "mom's coming to pick you guys up". This did change and DH now says "your mom". To me the former sounds much more intimate, and yah I didn't like it. 

NotEasy525's picture

I actually just had a little blowout episode on my SO because of the "we" term! I know where he stands with his ex but they were talking about my SS6 soccer game over the phone and I heard him say to her "what should WE do"...!! I was boiling and I am very much laid back so for me just to go ballistic was completely out of character but it bothered me so much. He is the coach and it was a rainy day so it was up to him whether to cancel the game or not. Therefore, this is not a WE situation. It is a "I" thing as in my SO. So I completely understand where you are coming from! And you definitely aren't alone on this!

DreamQueen's picture

We = team. And your DH is supposed to be YOUR teammate. I could totally understand it bothering you. Smile My DH has a severe loathing for his ex, so I think if I was to ever hear "we" when referring to them, I'd probably keel over. I think its good that they are at least there for their children. if only for that sake. 

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

My DH knows better. WE is an acronym that should be expressly used for partnerships. Not distateful women that he just so happened to have children with.

I'm lucky though, only person I hear about the past from is really MIL. The skids stopped talking about it long ago and I think DH knows better than to throw that at me. That's not fair or healthy for a marriage. If he started using "we" I think I'd start feeling compared or like an outsider in my own marriage. 

Talk to your DH and see if he even realizes. Maybe it'll help him become more aware and stop. To me that behavior is unsavory and kind of thoughtless. His divorce changed that. It'll never be "we" again when referring to him and the ex. Divorce means seperate.