You are here

What to do instead of punching your SKid in the face.

iqrt's picture

The custody order prohibits any type of physical punishment, and this kid could use one hell of a spanking.

For a kid who doesn't care if you take her toys away, or if she stands in time out. What are some creative punishments (maybe chores?)

We only have her EOW, so she doesn't really have any chores really, other than pick up your toys, which she rarely does and certainly not without hours of whining about it. And take your dirty dishes to the kitchen.

SD is 5 years old and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and let her talk to me like shit while I smile and ask her politely not to be such a whiney brat.

When she left today I told her I did not want a hug because she has been a terrible listener all evening refusing to pick up, refusing to sit at the table for dinner and refusing to put her socks/shoes on.

So she says with attitude, "Guess you're not going to miss me then."

I'm thinking, but not saying, "No, not really, all you do is come here with a snotty attitude and make a big mess.."

Then she refused to get in the car to go back to her moms house without being dragged. This is nuts. It's not like we're asking her to do anything hard or complicated. "Put your shoes on." "Go sit at the table." "Go get in the car." "Pick up your toys." These are things my not quite 2 year old can do with little help.. COME ON.

iqrt's picture

She doesn't care if we take toys or privileges away. She just says, "I don't care. I have toys at my mom's house."

iqrt's picture

I'm strongly considering making a trip to good will tomorrow with all of her toys. When she complains, I can just say, "That's okay, you have toys at your mom's house."

phoenix410's picture

Hahahah... "Hand full of shut up"

This made me laugh out loud. My son gave me a weird look.

I like all the advice given so far - take that kid's shit away! I told the s/kids this morning that they will no longer be asked to pick their stuff. If it's not put away when they're done with it, it will disappear and they can either work for it back or pay for it out of their allowance. DH actually put up a fight about this tactic when I suggested it to him first, but I went ahead with it anyways and the kids had no argument. }:)

iqrt's picture

Well, I cleaned out her room, and hid all of the toys in the closet. While cleaning her room, I found stickers on the walls AGAIN. I found a band aid stuck to the carpet, and candy wrappers in her closet. This kid is so not getting anything from me for her birthday in a couple weeks.

Now I just have to figure out how to secure the sliding door closet. I'm debating between a curtain tension rod and one of those sliding door alarms. The alarm would give her the temptation and hopefully teach her self control. The curtain rod would just be an all out you can't get in unless you break the doors.

I left her bed, and some clothes for the next time she comes over. That's it. I took down all the pictures off the walls, i took all the stuffed animals away, even her precious pillow pet. I even took her night light away, because I'm a turd like that.

I also need to 5/6 year old proof the bathroom because she's been playing with everything in there when she goes in. I will either need an alarm system or a key to get into the bathroom drawers. What to do about her shredding toilet paper into confetti on the floor, I don't know.

SMof2Girls's picture

Keep the toilet paper in a separate place and make her ask for some before she goes in. Or switch to those toilet-friendly wet wipes (harder to shred).

ownedbypedro's picture

I am out of parenting practice as my "baby" is 24 years old but I wonder if making her earn privelages by listening and complying with your requests would help. For example, instead of taking things away because she didn't listen - having her earn things back by putting her shoes on when asked, etc.

Just a thought - from someone who should probably just shut up.

cristale54's picture

Ok so I read your dilemma. I have a godson who is the same way. Always has been since he was born. I was in the delivery room so maybe that day he couldn't talk but it was going to be a long battle, he is now 12. Look the little brat my godson is, is not going to end. I have tried everything. I have taken away everything. He shrugs and says "I don't care I have no problem sitting right here and going to sleep... keep it!" And I am in that kids life everyday, not just on weekends! The best results I had was to ignore bad behavior, let the childs father deal with punishing - not you, but keep a log for when he is not there and try to get on tape, give the child nothing to do- no tv, no toys, no anything, the child should be able to earn privliges back, do put on the alarm on closet and make it hard to open with a prop that the child can't reach, have dad give her a talk of what the new rules are (don't you give them, but discuss with dad prior to talk) and have how the child can earn privilges back very clear and discussed in front of you so that the child can then earn them back with you too. This is your only hope. Works with most kids. My godson sort of. He just doesn't care about anything and will just lie on the couch and look at the celing. I have to step sons that are mainly angles so I am lucky, its there mom thats the problem. But anyway, my best advice is to make a plan with dad and stick to it! My husband's favorite quote and its true "Laziness will get you everytime." alls you have to do is let you guard down once and YOUR the ones that lose.
-Cristale54

justperfectlyflawed's picture

Cristale54: My father would send us to our rooms....but we could not sleep...we had to clean or he would send us outdoors to do manual labor. Even at a young age of 5,6,7 years old. I HATED it but we learned....and I have told my SKids with their dad in the room and agreeing that we can dig ditches or shovel and wheelbarrow dirt if they need it. Smile

justperfectlyflawed's picture

I agree that you should take away something(s) she will really miss but it sucks for everyone because you all do not get much time together...to really put a dent in getting a schedule or whatever with her. She is acting out I am sure because 1. she is a kid of divorced parents and being moved around where each home environment and parent or step parent does things differently. 2. She probably is super depressed/anxiety ridden because as kids...we blame ourselves for our parents getting divorced..usually. 3. she is a kid..and sometimes they might be like the Children of the Corn...murmuring REDRUM but....hopefully taking somethings away will work....I have to stop and put myself in my stepkids shoes for a moment...before I react too hastily or want to ship them off in a UPS truck. :jawdrop:

emotionaly beat up's picture

I agree with owned by Pedro. Punishing her is clearly not the answer two of my kids were the type that punishing didn't work for made them more determined if anything. Rewarding good behavior and where possible ignoring the bad may work better for you. Then again like ownedbypedro my babies are older 37 35 and 30. But I do have a pretty defiant 2 year old grandson and the reward system is the only thing that works for him.

feelinglost's picture

Focus on the positives instead of the negatives. When she does something really annoying, sure deal with it but don't stress yourself too much or don't give her long lectures. Just taking her toys is good and if she doesn't care then it is fine. Next time she does something good even unintentionally just go hug her and say since you just did so and so, I am going to return one of your toys. This way she will get the message. She will consciously try to act good from that point on.

Orchid91's picture

Can you give examples of what sort of behaviour you are trying to punish? My reaction to a child depends on the behaviour, the child and what I can identify (if possible) as the trigger or motivation behind the behaviour. I think the trigger behind behaviour is majorly overlooked all the time. You're just trying to treat the symptoms when you punish. Try to delve into why exactly she is doing it. I know children can just misbehave for the sake of it, to push boundaries etc. In these cases then I agree with warnings, time outs, toys taking away etc.

SC STEPMOM's picture

Tell your husband you have had enough. Either the kid behaves, stays at her moms or you are not going to be there for her weekend. Go to a relative or friends. You probably won't have to stay away more than one or two weekends and he will be ready to make some changes.

DUMP A GLASS OF WATER ON HER HEAD......:You cannot be serious. There is no excuse or reason for ever dumping a glass of water on your own child's head, let alone someone elses. If someone did that to my child there would be hell to pay. How would you react Foxie if someone did that to your child. I am appalled someone would even suggest this. Hopefully Foxie you were only joking.

doll faced sm's picture

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Now I have this image in my head of a 5 y.o. throwing themselves in a tantrum on the floor screaming, "I'm melting . . . meeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllltiiiiiiiiiiiing"

Shaman29's picture

Foxie was probably serious, and I would bet she's used this method and her kids are still alive.

To be honest, the shock of a cold glass of water being poured over their head would probably stop anyone in their tracks. Including a kid.

If I had kids and they were getting out of hand, I would probably consider this route. It's not a cruel thing and much better than shouting, screaming or spanking. It will get their attention fast.

Then again...if I had kids, and they were being this bad, I'd probably administer a well deserved spanking (not beating).

SMof2Girls's picture

My mom did this very exact thing to me when I was a kid. I remember it well. I was going through a phase of screaming whenever she enforced a rule or punishment. She would send me to my room and I would stand there and scream until someone caved.

She came in the last time with a big glass of cold water. Splashed the entire thing into my face. I was soaking wet. I had to go to bed in wet clothes and wasn't allowed to change.

I never did it again. And I'm perfectly okay as an adult.

However Shaman29 a well deserved spanking from mum or dad is one thing and there is a mile of differece between spanking and beating I agree, but pouring a glass of water on the head of a five year old who is not even your own child, no, absolutely not. You don't have kids at the moment, if and when you do, look at your child in your arms and imagine some other woman pouring ( in anger) a glass of water over YOUR child's head then see how you feel. If she cannot handle a five year old God help her when this kid is 15 or 25. Instead of getting a glass full of water, it may be more productive to get some professional help on how to deal with a child with this nature. Refusing to hug the child when she went home because she was a bad listener, well maybe parenting classes are in order here. I really hate being this critical but this is wrong a so many levels it is not funny. Still it is all a mute point as she hasn't done it, it was just a suggestion made by another poster who hopefully hasn't done it either.

SMof2Girls's picture

It's less effective. Part of what makes a glass of water work is that it's dramatic and shocking. It makes them stop for a second and think about it. And it really really sucks to be suddenly soaking wet!

You possibly feel this is okay because it was your mother that did it....If it was some other woman, ie: a stepmother this would not go down so well trust me. If she does this I expect the child's BM could have her charged with assualt and fair enough. My children never had a SM, but if they had one and I found out she had treated them like this all hell would have broken loose.

Poodle's picture

I really wouldn't model throwing liquid on people as a way of anger management to children. Throwing water on females has been a form of sexual humiliation for generations and you only have to look at medieval ducking practices to see how misogynistic it is. Many of the worst domestic violence offences against women, and also offences by psychopaths against anyone, include the throwing of liquids such as bleach, acid or poison in order to do serious hurt. Now whilst chucking a glass of water is I admit wholly different, it does give a kind of subconscious permission to the developing child to develop vengeful fantasies involving this kind of conduct, and if the child goes off the rails in their development it is precisely that kind of child who is going to then develop this scarier sort of behaviour. It really is sadistic, I just would not go there with a child. Better to walk out of the room when angry, or discipline using a more recognised method.

mrscmom2five's picture

My evil SD6 is with us all the time. My girls 6 and 8 are at their dad's 2 nights a week as we do shared parenting. I go in to work about an hour after my DH. So i usually get up and do some morning chores and laundry while house is quiet and evils SS and SD are gone. I went into girls' room and SD had taken my daughter's Barbie clothes and put them on SD's barbies and then she laid them in a neat row on my daughter's bed for her to see that she had taken and been playing with her outfits. I was enraged as SD is always taking things that belong to my girls. She steals them and takes to her mother's house or in her dad's car for us to find later. We now search her when she leaves. Anyhow, since she does this crap for attention, I just took off the outfits, put them back in my daughters toy case and put her Barbies back where they go. I got home earlier than they did that night and my girls were already playing. SD knew this and came running in and right back to the room to get the "reaction" she was looking for. My girls were oblivious of what she tried to pull and the look on her face when she got no reaction from anyone was priceless. Then it turned to "oh sh!t" because she knew that someone knew. I told her dad about it and we agreed not to mention it and ignoring has been the worst punishment so far to the point that she has given up on some of her behaviors.