You are here

An update

doll faced sm's picture

I've debated updating on the situation w/ my DD or not, and decided I'd like to. Let me start by saying that a lot of what I posted in regards to her was out of sheer anger, fear, and frustration over severe behavioral issues. There were accompanying emotional and psychological issues as well, but while I could tell something was wrong, she wasn't opening up to me at all. We were like two bulls locking horns all of the sudden, and I didn't know why. We were seeing therapists, but that was just making everything so much worse.

To make the long story short, my DD10 confided in a counselor at school that she'd tried to kill herself and was placed in a psych hospital for about a week. The psychiatrist changed her dx from ADHD to bi-polar like tendancies plus anxiety, OCD, psychosis, and severe insomnia - she'd been going up to a week at a time without sleeping at all despite clonidine and hearing/seeing things. She's being treated now for these issues both medically and with talk therapy. She is like a different kid; there's still some of that soon-to-be-a-teen rebellion, but it's not a constant battle and worrying for the safety of everyone in the house from the time she wakes up until the time she goes to bed.

For those of you who supported me, thank you so much; you just can't imagine how much it meant to have someone at least be compasionate during a time I thought I was loosing my mind. For those who condemned me, you really have no clue what it's like to have a child essentially running your household with fear. Granted, I'm not that great at putting into words the severity of what was happening, but the fears ranged from her hurting herself to burning the house down.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that she is doing better and we are doing better.

hereiam's picture

I am glad to know that you have found out the cause and that she is getting help. I have a family member who has every one of those issues and although this family member is an adult, I worry about them everyday.

I know all about the frustration, the fear, and the anger and it sucks to feel that way about someone you love so much.

I wish you and yours well. It is not an easy road.