You are here

"true life"

dodgegal05's picture

I am watching an episode of MTV's True Life "I'm supporting my man", its sickening to see these women date these men. One woman is a stripper to pay all the bills and her bf/father of their two kids does nothing. Reminds me of some of the bms I read about on here, no work and collect cs.

dodgegal05's picture

Thats my general feeling about mtv except for true life and savage u. They are more informative. I dont do the real worlds or fantast factory shows at all. Savage u is about sex advice a guy gives at colleges around the u.s., its entertaining and sometimes I learn sometging new.

DMVNative202301703's picture

I gotta defend first dude. I never watch MTV (like NEVER--complete trash imo) but for whatever reason I saw this episode. Googled to get update and this page/thread was one of the first results. And I really need to defend dude.

It's funny, my ex-wife is also from Brazil, just like that guy. Same situation except she was here on a tourist VISA, not a student VISA. We also went through the Green Card process. They nailed it. Didn't exaggerate one bit.

We've since split and it was pretty ugly. So that said, I wouldn't be in here talking her up and defending their depiction of the Green Card process just because. I just hated to see them put that first couple in with that loser ass in the second couple.

The Green Card process is a total nightmare. It's almost impossible to do without a lawyer, but like the couple in that episode, we were lucky to afford the Green Card, let alone pay thousands more for a lawyer. So we also did it on our own.

The government doesn't let you work. Period. And they will investigate. My ex is one of the hardest working people I've ever met. But that first year after we got married, she could not work. I had to work for both of us. That work was delivering pizzas while I was in college. Thank God we didn't have a kid. I don't think we couldve made it.

Even with my family helping, I was lucky to save the money for the Green Card. Like I said she couldn't work for a full year, until she got a work permit. Then it took two years to get a temporary Green Card, almost four years to get a permanent one.

Trust me when I say that the first couple--both the wife AND the husband--deserve nothing but respect. They don't belong in the same conversation as that second couple.

I'm sorry. I just had to defend them. I know their pain.

dodgegal05's picture

I don't have anything against the first couple at all. The second couple was a nightmare. I did feel for the first couple as well and think that husband should get some credit for Atleast trying and being a good student. I didn't think to defend them earlier bf the second couple was so bad!