You are here

So i went on the dreaded cruise to celebrate my sd's graduation

Someoneelse's picture

So DH booked the cruise, he told sd that it would be the same one we took my dds on.  There was a really cool animal thing where we got to good sloths and let monkeys climb all over us, they got to pet guinea pigs,  etc. Well DH thinks the cruise changed the itinerary (which happens sometimes, especially when you book it way in advance). He realized that this one wasn't going to that stop this time the day before, so on the way, he tells sd and she was about to cry, thankfully she didn't, this girl cries if you blink too hard in her direction. DH promised her that we'd find something fun she can do while we visit these countries (there's sooooo much to do, that shouldn't be hard lol) 

So we go on a guided city tour, sd falls asleep the whole time, until we get to the rainforest/ jungle area, she got to feed howler monkeys, yay! Fun!  When we got to this place where we are all prepping to go, there was this 8yo that reminded me so much of sd!  He was crying that he was last for the bug spray, that he got bug spray in him mouth and spit on the floor, and cried that it wasn't his fault, it smelled bad, then he realized that bug spray meant there was going to be bugs, then he cried when he realized he was going to have to walk to get to the monkeys in the jungle... all of this is EXACTLY how sd was growing up, well into her teens! Sd looked at this boy with utter disgust lmao! I didn't say it, but i was thinking "girl, he IS YOU!" Turned out the kid had autism, and his dad died.  DH said, "i feel bad for him, be lost did dad at such a young age" sd's cousin (sd's was allowed to bring 1 friend on the trip, she chose her cousin) commented that she knows that is hard (her father died 3 or 4 years ago)  sd ARGUED with her that she wasn't that young! I was in utter SHOCK that she said that.  Her cousin turned around and started silently sobbing, i tried my best to comfort her, but DH did NOTHING about sd's comment (another reason I'm glad we had no kids together he's an awful parent) 

At another destination, we went to a shady beach area and ate lunch, sd's cousin wanted to go in the kayak they had on the water, sd whined that she didn't want to get into the kayak, that she'd end up falling into the water (they both wore swimming suits) sd went into the water, but not the kayak.

The last destination we got to cousin wanted to get off at, but me and DH were exhausted, (oh, also city tour spot,our car got stranded and we were stuck for over an hour with no shade, but the hot car, but that's OK, just made us extra exhausted). Sd's cousin wanted to get off the boat with sd, but sd refused, and made her go alone (she's a very mature 17yo, and she found someone she befriended on the cruise and their family, so she wasn't alone) 

Last day on the cruise, we go to the comedy club, on the way, sd fell down the steps, and bruised both shins, she was crying hysterically, i couldn't help but to laugh hysterically, the dress she was wearing was WAY too short, you could see her underwear while she was walking upright, her front of the dress wasn't built for her and her boobs would pop out even when she was just sitting slunched over(her defsult setting) ... so as she's falling down the steps, EVERYTHING was out. 

So my cruise ended on Great note, even though it was a pretty rocky cruise

Harry's picture

Why,  o why did you go.  I hope you found thing to do to have a good vacation.  Hope your time was not wasted.  Time and vacation time is so limited 

Someoneelse's picture

I *had to* go because it was best way to get cheapest rooms because both me and DH has free rooms, so i got a room and DH got a room? Put each girl in our room, then when we got on board we switched rooms so that me and DH were in a room and sd and her cousin were in a room. 

That and DH went with me and my girls on their graduation cruise... so, according to DH it would have been "f*cked up"

Someoneelse's picture

Sd is the kind of girl that lives as of she is the main character in her own reality... and yes, very much an infantile kind of person.  When i met her when she was 5 or 6, she fell on the playground (rubberized mulch material) she cried hysterically as if she really hurt herself... i honestly thought maybe she had fallen in such a way that she sprained her ankle, and DH flipped out on her about crying.  I thought DH was being kinda rough on her, maybe because he was embarrassed about how she was reacting... and brushed all of it off as nerves... when i spent more time with her, i realized, no, this girl is just forever an infant... she fell from a seated position of approx 2in off the ground (at about 10-12 yo) and screamed as if she BROKE her tailbone.... mind you there was a carpet AND a rug to cushion her fall (and she's extremely overweight not fat shaming her, just explaining plenty of cushion for her to have helped not injure herself) 

When trying to teach her to ride her bike (about 8-10yo),  we got her worst guards, knee pads,  elbow pads, shin guard, helmet.  Everytime she fell (because she wouldn't go fast enough to stay upright)  she'd let out a blood curdling scream like she snapped her bones in half... the first few times i thought of run up on her with her arm hanging off... but no, that's just sd, barely fell, almost wrapped up in bubble wrap with nothing wrong kind of scream. 

Survivingstephell's picture

It really sad that everything needs to "be fair" between the kids BUT their treatment of the adults in the relationship doesn't need to be fair and equal.  

I'm so tired of reading about this.  Its rampant.