You are here

Q for you steps that cover your skids on your insurance

msg1986's picture

I have a question for those of you Steps out there that cover your skids. Dh added Ss to his insurance this month however we were thinking of switching back to my insurance in the new year because it's cheaper and has better coverage. The only reason we're really considering this is because Dh apparently doesn't get credit from CS for providing Ss with insurance so why stay on his if there is no benefits, ya know? We still have to talk to our lawyer about this because here in NM everything I keep seeing says that if the spouse of the NCP provides insurance the NCP will not get credit however when Dh called CS they said because he's "court ordered" to provide insurance that he doesn't get credit-which I don't really understand but that's a whole other story.

Anyway, my question is, does Bm have any say in this? Like can she refuse the coverage I provide? Do we have to get permission from CS to do this? Does Dh still have to provide insurance thru his employer even if I add him to mine or does CS acknowledge that Ss is being covered by Dh even though it's thru my employer? We will of course be checking dirently with CS to make sure this is okay but I'm just curious about what others have experienced.

Orange County Ca's picture

If nobody objects to the family court nobody cares where coverage comes from. I'd not tell her but if she learns of its source your husband can simply explain the coverage is better.

msg1986's picture

That's what i was thinking. Do you know why anyone would object? Well, we will have to tell her because the network of providers will change. Ss of course doesn't have any medical issues so that wouldn't be a problem, she will just have to change providers which she is angry about right now because Dh is adding Ss.

Calypso1977's picture

here in MA, the court order states that fiance must provide health insurance until age 23. it doesnt have any conditions on levels of coverage. he is responsible for 1/2 of all co-pays and deductibles after the first $250. that sort of incentivizes the parent who carries the insurance to not go super cheap on the premium and have higher co-pays.

msg1986's picture

I see. We haven't yet figured out co pays / deductibles so thank you for that info on what you guys pay/are responsible for because it gives us an idea of what he SHOULD be paying.

msg1986's picture

I see, thanks for the info. Hopefully it's the same here, I would imagine that the court would be fine as long as kids were covered.

I could see Bm causing a stink over this however her stink is that she wants Ss on medicaid because she refuses to work.