You are here

To pay or not to pay for the mobile phone?

Smomof3's picture

My SD who lives with her BM has a cell(not a smart phone) and she's on our plan. Her brother, my SS, also has a cell which is a smart phone and he opts to do chores and put his allowance toward his cell/smart phone.

My SS is a good kid and works hard. He does his chores, saves his money and will do extra chores for a few dollars here and there. He's only 15 and jobs for that age are scarce in our area. SD is 16 and babysits and runs wild. She's a troubled child with falling grades and honestly I think she's headed down a bad road. I also don't think it's fair that he works to pay for his phone which cost us about $60/month and she gets to keep her phone which is costing us about $38 without paying anything. My solution is to drop her from our plan.

The delimma is that if we drop her from our plan it will lead to more victimization on her part, increase her Daddy complex, feed the BM fuel for her forever growing fire, etc., and so on. What do we do? Do we just let her have a free phone til she's out of high school. I think she needs to learn some responsibility.

Any idea. Oh and before anyone starts with the you like him better...you bet I do. He doesn't steal, do drugs, lie or create havoc on a constant basis. He isn't a victim and he's respectful. This girl has done damn little to make anyone like her. I sure do love her, but I don't like her one bit.

QueenBeau's picture

Agreed. Give SD 30 days notice that since her YOUNGER brother pays for his own cell phone, she will have to do the same starting next month. & if she is late, take the phone or cut off the cell phone. Also let her know if she can pay 60 dollars a month like her brother, she can also have a smart phone Smile

If you don't, you run the risk of your SS feeling like he is treated unfairly.

christinen's picture

^^^ Exactly what Echo said! It is not fair at all that SS have to pay for his phone but SD gets hers for free. There is something very wrong with that picture.

I wouldn't outright drop her, but I would let her know that going forward, she is going to have to pay for the phone and if she doesn't, it will be shut off- just like what would happen in the real world if you don't pay your bills.

Smomof3's picture

That's how I see it too, but she and her mother will never let it fly. They feed off of insanity. My SS begged us to just pay for her phone and leave it alone because he doesn't want to hear the backlash.