You are here

Our Anniversary Party on in-laws anniversary

DaniAM73's picture

DH and I didn't have a wedding. We eloped with the promise of having a reception a year or two later. Time passed, so now the wedding reception will now be an anniversary party. 

The date we picked for the party will be a couple of days after our actual anniversary. No biggie. We want everyone to eat, drink and dance until they can't dance anymore. We went to see a place over the weekend. Both DH and I loved it. We made a deposit. 

Now let's go back a few weeks. DH went to visit his parents and told his mom this summer we will be having an anniversary party.( Side bar: we got married the same month DH's parents did, but with weeks apart.) DH'S mom told him we should have our anniversary party on her anniversary. Which falls on a Saturday this year. When DH intially told me I took it as a joke.

Sunday DH calls his mom and they are talking and he mentions we put a deposit on the place/venue. She asked DH are we having it on her anniversary. DH told her no. 

I guess it's all about her and not me. I remember years ago when we were planning our elopement he did mention the day his parents got married. I have no problem with the same month, but I certainly do not want to share an anniversary date with his mom and dad. 

Can you imagine what my anniversary party would be like if I did have it on their anniversary? 

queensway's picture

I find it amazing how bold some family members are. Why on earth would you want to have your anniversary party on the same day as MIL's anniversary. She has some nerve even thinking that would be a good idea. SMH