You are here

O/T Holiday Dishes

Mominit's picture

OK, totally off topic.  Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend (Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Canucks!).  Which got me thinking about that age old question.  What is the one (or more) dish you must must have for a holiday to be complete.  What is the one dish you refuse to put on your plate?

I'm going with two must haves: Turkey.  No ham for me unless it's Easter (I have no idea why ... it just is).  Thanksgiving and Christmas must have a turkey.  And mashed potatoes.  Plain, mashed potatoes.  No garlic, no cheese, no herbs or spices....just potatoes, butter and a bit of milk, mashed until smooth.  Not whipped, but not "rustic" lumps either!

Get this off my plate:  anything with marshmallows.  Not in jello with cream and coconut, not on sweet potatoes...if it's not a rice crispy square or a smore or hot chocolate you can keep your marshmallows!

Rags's picture

Dark meat Turkey, green beens, my wife's amazing curried cranberries (sugar free but... not low carb).

Sadly, no potoatoes, yams, stuffing, etc... will touch my plate.

This leaves a deprivation list that is very long. Particularly when we are having TG with my parents. My mom is is a kitchen wizard.

Mominit's picture

Sounds like the way DH and I eat most of the time.  But three times a year (Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas) we throw it to the wind and eat everything.  And then send all the leftovers home with our guests so we aren't tempted to continue!

Good for you for being disciplined!

Rags's picture

Everything works.  Though in the last year I have some light peripheral retinopathy starting to show up.

Thanks for the call out on the health focus.

DW and I are both heading in the right direction on the scale. I am down 30+ and she is down 20+ in the past 3mos.

Winterglow's picture

Here, that would be roast leg of lamb for Easter accompanied by green beans sautéed in butter, garlic and parsley.

For Xmas, there's a whole slew of traditions about the meal but the one that everyone seems to observe is the 13 desserts (candied fruit, dried fruit, white nougat, black nougat, various nuts, pompe à l'huile - a sort of brioche/bread made with olive oil, fresh fruit, etc.). 

Mominit's picture

I get hassled for 5 desserts.  I love a tradition of 13 desserts!  (DH would love it too!)

Winterglow's picture

LOL The beauty of it is that there's no preparation involved  - it's all in the presentation. (And there's leftovers for DAYS to pick at and nibble.) Mind you, that's for the 24th. The 25th is another kettle of fish.

Flustered's picture

You would be French or French Canadian? I love the 13 dessert nights. Love what a friend calls "Buche de Noel"

Rags's picture

Some of my favorite people.

We had amazing and diverse culinary experiences during our Expat years.  Scots, French, Ausies, South Africans, Various formulas of Brits, Arabs, Levanters, Russians, South Americans,  Asians (a bunch of different countries of origin), Africans, Arabs, an Indonesian Dutch married to a Brit, etc....  It was an amazing food experience.

While in Qatar, we started FriendsGiving on the traditional US Thanksgiving holiday.  At that time we lived in a hotel and had two additional dining tables and chairs broucht up, We made a huge square table, made a ton of the usual US TG side dishes, had our turkey catered from RKK (Rick's Kountry Kitchen), people brought a dish or two from their home country traditions, and we all had fat-kid belly for several days .  Alcohol is available, legally, in Qatar so wine, spirits, beer, and even pork was on the Friend'sGiving menu.  The friends that are still in Qatar have FriendsGiving every year. We have a video call with them when they are all together.  We initiated the same tradition after we moved to Saudi, and again when we moved to Morocco.  The Morocco posse included a very talented Canadien cook.  Each country had variations based on various foods, ingredient availability, and diversity of country of origin of our friends there.   Morocco had amazing Turkey but we could not get a whole one unless we bought a live one from a farm.  Taking out the turkey then plucking and processing it was not anything I wanted to do.  Besides, the oven in our Morocco apartment would not handle a full turkey.  So, we did massive Turkey breasts which turned out amazingly.  Live stock and veg crops in Morocco are basically organic so the flavors are spectacular compared to industrially raised products in the US.    For both of our Morocco TG FriendsGIvings DW did duck L'lorange. OMG!

One funny story was when our Scots friends brought a selection of amazing Single Malts, with Haggis, for Friend'sGiving in Qatar they offered my bride a choice of Single Malt and she said sure "can I have a Diet Coke mixer on ice?"  They still give her shit for that a decade later.  Teasingly.

Acute

ESMOD's picture

We always had shrimp cocktail as a starter.

We had turkey for thanksgiving.. but would have prime rib/roast beef for Christmas.  turkey also came with stuffing and potatoes.. green beans.. (without the mushroom soup thank you very much..lol).  

Mominit's picture

Thank you for leaving the mushroom soup out of the green beans.  As I recall Aniki has some thoughts on mushroom soup and green bean casserole (with those French onion crispy bits) on it as well!

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I DO have thoughts on that! Lol

The cream of mushroom soup is good as is. Add it to green beans and it looks like someone yakked up ickle green stuff. *bad*

Just NO to the onion crispy bits. *stop*

We have 5 must-haves for Thanksgiving:

1. Turkey 
  2. Mashed potatoes - only milk or cream added - and your choice of butter or turkey gravy (butter!)
  3.  Stuffing and dressing (stuffing, please)
  4. Cranberry sauce
  5. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream. 

Ispofacto's picture

I used to think I didn't like sweet potatoes, but found out I was cooking them wrong.  You think "potato", it makes sense to boil them, right?  Wrong.  Boiling makes them stringy and grainy and leaches all the flavor out of them.

This recipe is a huge hit, I'll be making it every time  https://media.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2006/nov/test_kitchen/sw...

The yams break down tenderly in their own steam.  For vegan, I sub the butter and cream for coconut cream, miyoko's butter, and 1 tablespoon water.

Winterglow's picture

but I highly recommend coconut cream in sweet potatoes with a little grated lime zest and juice to balance the sweetness!

Ispofacto's picture

Agreed.  Coconut milk adds an extra flavor.

Once the mash is done, you can put it in a casserole, top it with butter pecan crumble, and bake it.  It's extra fancy, but too much for me.

Mominit's picture

Sounds yummy!  Now I have a whole new dish to try...

Cover1W's picture

We don't do a traditional Thanksgiving meal. DH likes turkey on Xmas and HE'S in charge of the Xmas meal due to year after year of SD issues with food and I stopped cooking holiday meals for everyone. I'll bake when I'm alone and give the stuff away to neighbors and friends, but no meals.

NOW for Thanksgiving I do a gourmet meal for DH and I. We don't travel during holidays (too expensive and relatives live too far) so we make our own night. I never make the same thing. Three dishes, maybe an appetizer early afternoon, champagne with dinner and then a fancy dessert. This is also why I don't cook for Xmas because this meal usually takes two days to make.

Mominit's picture

With your SD's food quirks I don't blame you at all for throwing the cooking into DH's lap, even if you do love cooking and baking.

But a 2 day long prepped gourmet meal with champagne and dessert, just for the two of you? Swoon!  Sounds heavenly.  Lucky man Smile

Cover1W's picture

He knows it.

We did travel overseas a couple years ago during Thanksgiving, just he and I and it was WONDERFUL. On Thanksgiving day we stumbled across a Champagne Bar - yes, they only served champs and a lot of incredible little eats. So that was our meal.  It was so good.

CLove's picture

Turkey with mashed creamy potatoes and GRAVY. No one has mentioned gravy yet so I will. I make it from scratch how my mother taught me. Giblets, roux, and mushrooms. 

For sides we have also done sauteed asparagus, and I like a variety of veggies. Kings hawaiian rolls for bread. Ill have to expand and start learning how to make pies...Im in love with my mothers pumkin chiffon cream pie...with connamon gram cracker crust. Time to start some traditions...for me.

Almost forgot my nope...oh because I dont really have any...oh wait...not a fan of stuffing.

Mominit's picture

I do love gravy.  My DH would boycott the mushrooms, but I never thought of using roux and giblets!  I've always just used the dripping from rosting the turkey and flour and some spices.   Rethinking my gravy game now....

Cover1W's picture

yes, save those giblets!  I bake them up with the bird (taking them out when roasted), then finely chop them up (esp. the liver) and that plus the roux is the gravy base. Very rich and wonderful gravy.

CLove's picture

giblet gravy is THE BEST EVER Biggrin

justmakingthebest's picture

Corn pudding (Which is this cheesey corn casserole) is one of my all time favorites, I also have a sweet potato casserole that is shredded (not mashed) and has coconut and yummy spices. For dessert my grandma's creme de menthe brownies are also something that is a must. I only make the brownies for Christmas. 

Mominit's picture

Your sweet potato casserole sounds yummy.  Forget those marshmallows, I'd love to try it with coconut and spices! (Nutmeg? cinnamon?)

justmakingthebest's picture

I will try to remember to come back on here with the recipe!

I know it has condensed milk, cinnamon and nutmeg- but I can't remember it exactly. It really is wonderful! 

caninelover's picture

And stuffing, cranberry sauce (made fresh not from a can), green bean casserole. 

Won't eat marshmallows nasty.

Mominit's picture

How could I forget the stuffing! (and I knew you were one of my people Caninelover....part of the marshmallow revolt!)

Merry's picture

DH and I are usually on our own for Thanksgiving, so that means we go out, cook something fancy, or ignore it.

For Christmas, usually we are at SD's. One Christmas she'd had the big meal the day before our arrival, so we were on our own to "graze." I was NOT going to go into her fridge and root through things, so I had cookies. Another year she made a big deal out of making at least one favorite for everybody. I was not part of "everybody."

Pardon my grumpiness. I used to love the winter holidays.

If I were cooking, my must haves would be fresh cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. My nope would be any vegetable that comes from a can.

Mominit's picture

I agree about canned veggies.  I know that nutritionally they're pretty close to frozen or fresh...but they always seem a bit mush and a bit...grey?

Crspyew's picture

made with fresh orange juice and zest.  Turkey at Thanksgiving, beef tenderloin or crown pork roast at Christmas.  We have some food allergies to deal with so mashed potatoes, dressing and sweet potatoes are all dairy free/vegan.  
The dish I won't have --stuffed ham and cooked to death green beans.  Stuffed ham is a southern Maryland thing.  In theory I love all of the components bit the end product not so much.

Merrigan's picture

I'm handling the turkey. A stuffed butterball wrapped in thick cut bacon. We're doing mash with butter and sour cream, roasted carrots, and for a starter, I'm doing herbed goat cheese stuffed mushroom caps. For drinks, I've got a sparkling rose and a Pinot Noir red (Niagara region), and strawberry lemonade for the SD's.  Just for fun, I bought some McDonald's apple pies for dessert (we don't really ever eat dessert)  

I LOVE cooking. 

Evil4's picture

Fellow Canuck here. DH and I decided it will be just us for Thanksgiving dinner. We're having a roast chicken. We sometimes do roast beef and Yorkshire puddings. 

I adore Chinese purple yams so those are a must for every holiday dinner. The dish I make that people can't resist is a yam casserole with marshmallows on top. I can't think of anything I hate. 

It's such a relief not having to cook so much for the rest of the family. I was shocked when DH suggested a new tradition and that it would be just us. He said he hates how I cook so much because of catering to the vegetarians including SD33, with no help or thanks in all that I do. DH always helps me but it's when it's just us it's so much less work.

Rags's picture

We have periodically done lamb or roast beef/prime rib with Yorkshire pudding for the holidays.  Usually though it is Turkey or occassionally Ham.  

I would never advit this in public, but... I am really not a fan of Turkey.  The exception being a boneless Turkey though getting a good one is a hit or miss thing.

Other than my mother's kitchen wizardry, two of the most memorable holiday meals, both at Christmas, were at Middle East resorts.  The Marriott in Doha Qatar (2012) which had an amazing prime rib and Yorkshire pudding station, and an even more culinarily inspiring gastronomic experience at the Ritz-Carlton in Manama Bahrain (2015).  What those amazing teams of Chefs put together in ritzy Middle East resort hotels is beyond description.

Like you, if we are going to cook for the holidays, we keep it small these days.  If we are with my parents, it is a constant dance of helping mom as much as possible to minimize her work load. The dance part is avoiding getting whacked with a wooden spoon for getting in her way.  Even at 78 she wants to do the whole over the top cook fest to provide for the vegans/vegitarians who have married into the Rags clan along with everyone else's favorites.  So, dad, my brother and I always try to book the family holiday dinners at a notable restaurant or hotel near by.

We are not always successful, but, as she is inching towards 80, mom does not fight us quite as much on it as she used to.  She will be 78 on Dec. 26.

Thanks for the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding reference. I am salavating as I respond.

Happy TG to our Canadian STalkers.

Winterglow's picture

My paternal grandmother cooked a "clootie dumpling" for New Year's dinner every year. It's a sort of Xmas pudding wrapped up in a cloth and cooked by boiling Everyone had to stir the mixture "for luck". She would add a few small coins, again, for luck That would make my mother cringe, that being horrifically unhygienic according to her. 

I used to cook clootie dumplings but now, with a daughter who has celiac, I've stopped. Gluten free flour doesn't hold together right. 

Rags's picture

The artificial and chosen fad of the moment impact on family holiday food traditions is infuriating.

For us, the Rags clan, it started with my Dx at a Type-1 diabetic when I was 16.  Interestingly my mom to this day still battles with me over "you need to eat a balanced diet" and "it only has XX Oz of (something I can't eat) in it".  I am the only one in the family with a legitimate dietary limitation. I just avoid mom's incredible home made breads, deserts, and carb heavy side dishes and stick with the meat/protein mains, leafy greens salads, and low CHO vegetables.  Mom has taken a mashed cauliflower that I have been making for years as my mashed potato alternative and turned into food for the Gods.  She is truly amazing.

My SIL (Bro's bride) is a vegetarian but a sugar junky, my Nephew's wife is a vegie/vegan through pointing out her obsession with leather purses, jackets, and shoes does not tend to go over well while she is wrinkling her nose at non veg dishes.

Diablo

I was finally able to get my mom to come to clarity that her pile of home baked breads, vegetable side dishes, etc... more than caters to the not medically necessary picky eater IL add ons to the Rags clan.  None of the genetic or even adopted Rags's have these quirks.  Only a couple of the IL add ons.  Fortunately I am the only one with a disease that impacts the holiday spread.

As soon as someone drops the "I can't eat that" comment my whole family usually instantly looks at me (as I turn fuscia) to see if I am going to respond with my usual  "Actually you choose not to eat that. You do not have a legitimate medical reason to not eat it.".  When someone prepares an amazing meal, the peanut gallery with the stylish food limitation of the moment should sew their lips together other than to say "thank  you for preparing this beautiful meal". They can pick around what they won't eat.

Pardon

Celiac can be so uncomfortable. I am sorry your DD suffers with it.

strugglingSM's picture

For Thanksgiving, my must haves are Turkey, my grandmother's stuffing (a traditional bread stuffing with Bell's seasoning), gravy, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce from a can (the one that keeps the shape of the can - lol). 

For Christmas, my family traditionally had Turkey and ham, but last year it was just me, DH, and DD and DH made prime rib (which his grandmother traditionally made) and I quite liked it, so that may become our new Christmas meal. 

For Easter, a must have is ham for me. 

strugglingSM's picture

It's classic New England and is definitely brings back memories. I think the major flavors are sage, rosemary, thyme, and maybe oregano, so probably easy to recreate,  but it reminds me of home, so I usually go for the original.

Someoneelse's picture

I am sorry If this is too late

CRANBERRY UPSIDE DOWN CAKE (I love cranberries)

Ingredients

***Topping

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

4 tablespoons (58g) unsalted butter

12 ounces (340g) fresh or frozen cranberries

***Cake

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Scant pinch ground cloves

8 tablespoons (117g) unsalted butter, at room temperature (plus more for buttering the pan)

1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar

3 large eggs

1 tablespoon orange zest

1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)

1/4 cup milk

Directions

Preheat the oven:

Set the oven to 350°F.

Butter a 9-inch cake pan:

Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with sides at least 2 inches high.

Make the caramel topping:

In a small saucepan, place the 4 tablespoons of butter and the 3/4 cups of packed brown sugar. On medium high heat, stir the sugar as the butter melts. Once the butter is melted and mixed in well with the sugar, stop stirring and let the mixture simmer for 15 seconds or so.

Pour the caramel into the pan and top with cranberries:

Pour the brown sugar butter mixture into the prepared cake pan. Spread the cranberries on top of the sugar butter mixture.

Whisk together the dry ingredients:

In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground cloves.

Beat the butter, then add sugar, eggs, and zest:

In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until light. Add the sugar and beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.

Stir in the orange zest.

Alternate the flour mixture and sour cream, then add the milk:

Mix a third of the dry ingredients into the mixture. Beat in half of the sour cream. Mix in another third of the dry ingredients. Mix in the remaining sour cream. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients, and then the milk.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake:

Pour batter over the cranberries in the cake pan, and smooth the surface.

Place in the preheated oven and lower the heat from 350°F to 325°F. Bake until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs. When pressing down on the cake, the surface should bounce back, about 55 to 60 minutes.

Cool the cake in 10 minutes, then invert:

Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.

Run a blunt knife around the inside rim of the cake pan to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Then, turn the cake out onto a platter.

Someoneelse's picture

Cranberry Sangria (again I love cranberries)

Ingredients

1 bottle Red Wine

1 cup Cranberry Juice

1 cup Orange Juice

1/2 cup cranberry flavored liqueur

chilled sparkling water/ club soda (opt)

orange thinly sliced

lime thinly sliced

Directions

combine wine, cranberry juice, orange juice, liqueur, orange & lime slices in a large glass pitcher, chill for 2-8hrs before serving.

just before serving add 2 cups of sparkling water or club soda

pour into glasses and add citrus slices as garnish (if desired)

Shieldmaiden's picture

I'm stealing this for USA Thanksgiving! Yumm!! Thank you. 

Someoneelse's picture

Hollyberry Fruit Dip

Ingredients

18oz softened cream cheese

1/2 Karo Light Corn Syrup

2 tbsp sugar

1/2 cup light sour cream

1 cup cranberries chopped

1 tbsp grated orange peel

Directions

In a small bowl with a wire whisk or mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese, corn syrup, and sugar until fluffy. Blend in sour cream. Fold in cranberries and orange zest.

Chill

serve with fresh fruit to dip.

Someoneelse's picture

Ingredients

7 graham cracker sheets –crushed

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 Tablespoon sugar

5 Tablespoon unsalted butter- melted

16 oz. cream cheese- softened

3/4 cup powdered sugar

2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 egg white

1/3 cup pumpkin puree

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

2 teaspoon all purpose flour

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line standard muffin pan with cupcake liners (if you are using paper liner I suggest you to double them).

Crushed the graham cracker sheets into fine crumbs, stir in the cinnamon and sugar, then add melted butter and mix with the fork until the crumbs are evenly moistened.

Place graham cracker crumb mixture in the bottom of each cupcake liner (about 1 heaping Tablespoon in each cup) and press down the crumbs, set aside.

To make the cheesecake filling in the bowl mix softened cream cheese until it’s smooth, then mix in powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined. Add egg whites one at the time, but turn the mixer on low speed (DO NOT OVER BEAT IT), until completely incorporated.

To make the pumpkin swirl: in a medium bowl mix together the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, allspice and flour, then add 2/3 cup of the cheesecake mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir with a spatula..

Divide half the plain cheesecake batter evenly between the cups. Scoop about one tablespoon of the pumpkin mixture on top and cover with the remaining cheesecake batter (liners should be filled almost to the top)

Using remaining pumpkin mixture make 3-4 dots on each of the cheesecakes and swirl with a toothpick .

Bake for 30 minutes (rotating the pan half way through the baking time)

Cool them completely and store in refrigerator.

Rags's picture

They are amazing when cooked to a slightly crisp level with pepper, a chunk of bacon or fat back in them, in ham broth.  

Drain and enjoy with whatever the center dish is (Turkey, Ham, Prime Rib, Rack of Lamb, etc...)