You are here

O/T cast iron skillet

classyNJ's picture

A few months ago there was a post about cast iron and how to season, clean, etc. I had it bookmarked and didn't have a chance to read all the comments and helpful hints. Cleaning out my blog and bookmarks I mistakenly deleted it. Does anyone happen to have it bookmarked?

classyNJ's picture

Thanks!!!

Sorry for the misleading cast iron - but DH and the SS's have all been on their best behavior the entire summer so they are safe --- For now!

notsobad's picture

If it gets sticky and the oil goes rancid, rub it with salt. Keep rubbing and adding clean salt if needed till all the oil is gone and then reseason.

evilicious says I quit steppin's picture

I have a cast iron corn stick pan. Due to the heat and humidity here in the southland, I keep it wrapped in tissue paper, wrapped in foil. I only use it in the winter months, so I re-season it yearly. It belonged to my grandmother, and my dad remembers her using it several times a week when he was a kid.....that puts it in the 65+ year category.

thinkthrice's picture

I wash mine out with grey salt, spray a light coating of cooking oil and then dry it in a warm oven

Willow2010's picture

I use my cast iron ALL the time. I am one of the few that actually do use soap everytime I use it. lol

I wash it (with soap). rinse rinse and rinse some more. Towel dry it well then put on flame for about 2-3 minutes to dry it all the way. Put thin layer of coconut oil and put away. (It is just usually left on stove most of the time.)

Then about every 2-3 months..I do the above then put it upside down in a 400 degree oven for about an hour.

Edit to add...I have had this skillet for over 20 years. It was a hand me down from the exs mother.

Rags's picture

My mom has her grandmother's cast iron cookware. THat is what she used when we were kids. She stopped using it for many years and she and my dad had to go on iron supplements. The doc told her to go back to her caste iron cookware. No more low iron condition. I remember when I was in my early teens I had to clean the kitchen and do the dishes and made the mistake of soaking one of the antique skillets for half a day. Bad move. The skillet rusted. It took quite a while to get it cleaned up and reseasoned.

1StepForward2's picture

I keep my cast iron skillet on the stove because I use it so often. After use I rinse any residue out - no soap - and put about an inch or two of water in it and boil it. Pour out the water and let dry back on the stove. Then I put a little oil in it to coat and it's ready to go for the next time. Sometimes I will put some salt in it before the oil and rub that around and shake it out.