You are here

Moving to the same state

Hereitgoesagain's picture

Hi! I was looking for advice or just general experience with the following situation.....

First things first, DH and I have been together for almost 10 years. My SD is 11. Her BM is your standard Golden Uterus. 

Now for the situation:

We live in TX, BM has always lived in a different state. She has recently moved to our area. I know we need to get the CO transferred to our local jurisdiction (sooner rather than later, as BM has a tendency to bounce around). Current CO is still based out of the state of the original divorce although neither of them have lived there for several years. My questions are as follows:

How long do we have to wait? 6mos or whenever the child is enrolled in school?

How realistic is it to have a "moving" type clause in a CO?

What is a good 50/50 Schedule? Which have you tried, which works best for the kids? etc. 

Thank you in advance for the assistance. Regardless of what we do I know BM will flip her lid, so I figure it makes more sense to rip the bandaid off and do it all at once. 

justmakingthebest's picture

Usually it is 6 months but I do believe that if the child has enrolled in school that you can go ahead and file. 

ndc's picture

My SO and his ex have 50/50 custody.  Their CO provides for every other week, but they've agreed between themselves to do a 5-2-2-5 schedule for now.  The kids are young (3 and 5) and a full week away from either parent seems like too much for them.  I think when the youngest one starts school SO and BM will switch to EOW, though.