You are here

just venting...so it's rather long

Thursdaysarethebestdays's picture

Despite the fact skids get 3 meals every day, DH tends to let skids eat...gorge...on snacks at any given time of the day because they whine about being hungry. Whenever I mention "skid just ate" DH will say something like "well I just figured maybe he didn't get enough and he's growing"...so I am trying my hardest disengage because it pisses me off that skids will pick at their meals, tell me or DH what they do and don't eat and then ask for a snack/dessert shortly after leaving the table.

Well the past few days I have absolutely FAILED at disengaging as far as this is concerned. On Friday, we made Mexican Food, flautas, nachos and spanish rice. Skids were given 2 flautas, some nachos and rice. SS8 "swallowed" his flautas, half the nachos and was working on the rice, when DH reached to add a flauta to his plate and SS8 asked for another and more rice, which DH gave. Eventually, there was only 1 flauta left and DH split it between skids. When I got ready to empty my plate, skid asked, with a mouth full of food, "are you going to finish your flauta"...MADE MY BLOOD BOIL...but DH stepped in before I could say anything and told ss8 he'd had enough. 10 minutes after dinner, I kid you not, ss8 goes into the kitchen and says "can I have a snack"...now, I understand the kid is growing and may have increased need for food/nutrients, etc, but would it hurt him to wait 30 minutes for the food to digest before adding more food and ending up sick?! Well, I didn't think so, and I asked just that and DH looked at me like I was crazy...Disengage FAIL

On Saturday we went to our state fair and our usual method is to buy a bunch of different foods and we all try a bit of everything so that no one gets full from any one meal. 30 minutes before we went to the fair, we fed the kids and not even 20 minutes after we'd been there, ss8 was asking for food. I looked at ss8 and said "you just ate breakfast" and DH looked at me crazy again! FAIL! Then, a few hours went by with us trying different things here and there like we normally do and at one point I decided I wanted something and before I could place my order, ss8 says "are you going to let me have some"...in my frustration, I told him no. Seriously?! By this time, we've probably eaten 7 or 8 different things and even though there were 6 of us, we have all shared EVERYTHING, why do you have to come up to me and ask if I am going to let you have some?!?!?!?

THEN, as we were getting ready to leave, DH remembered one last thing he wanted to try so we went and bought it, when it was brought up to us, I told DH it looked burnt and I hear ss8 ask "can I have some". DH tasted the food and said "this tastes burnt" and ss8 says "can I have some". My sister who was with us tasted it and said the same thing and again ss8 asks "can I have some". DH offered it to me and I said "I don't like that and if it's burnt then I definitely don't want to taste it" ss8 says "I like it, can I have some". My sister says "I'll go get us another one that isn't burnt and skid says "I like those, can I have that one if you're going to give it back?"

It was at this point that I realized that I had failed so terribly at disengaging this weekend, but it was too late because I looked at DH and said "if you don't answer your son and either give him some of the food or tell him that he can't have any he is going to lose his mind and I am too"...

I'm sorry but it seems like the only thing ss8 does is EAT ALL DAY! And seeing as how DH does not buy skids clothes, well, he does, but he prefers not to take skids along when he shops and he has no clue about relative sizes, so everything is either way too small or way too big and DH does not believe in returning things to the store, so I end up making the returns for whatever reason...all that to say it's easier for me to just buy the clothes myself the first time...
but anyway, since I buy the clothes, I can see that ss is not getting any taller, but is definitely getting wider. Last school year ss was wearing 7/8 in pants, 6/7 in shirts and this year he is wearing 10/12 in pants that have to be drastically altered because they are too long and he's wearing a 10/12 in shirts that are also super long on him.

Anyway, if you read this, thanks for reading...as pointless as this post may be.

Tuff Noogies's picture

Yes they need to learn limits on junk BUT my mss literally grew 2 feet in less than a year. And his shoes went from a size 8 boys to a size 10 men's overnight. What's the family genetics are talking about Smile keep in mind my d.h is 6+ and dumbass is only about 5..... So it surprised us (especially in the wallet) but looking back now actually should have been expected....

Tuff Noogies's picture

They should always be taught common courtesy and manners but sometimes a hungry boy is just a hungry boy.... Doesnt excuse d.h from teaching him that at all BUT... Boys are a lot different in that regard..... And I say this from experience and learning as I go too:)

Flipchip2013's picture

Having raised the boys, I can tell you, THEY EAT. Matter of fact, I think the girls are just as bad. They are like little food vacuums!! I'll stock the kitchen, pantry, fridge, other fridge, and subfreezer on the weekend, and I swear...they're saying there's nothing left by Wednesday or Thursday!! LOL

None of my kids (or stepkids) have had an issue with weight. It has been my experience that kids grow out before the grow up...like storing up for the winter. They'll add a little width and then shoot up months later.

I'm sorry it's frustrating. I'd just make healthy options available at all times.

sbm014's picture

Wow...I guess I should be glad I don't have to deal with this - instead we are arguing half the time for SS to eat. He will go through phases of eating and not eating I think it is his way with dealing "stress" or changes in his surroundings and so sad to see at such a young age...however when he eats he eats but he is always active. I can't even watch TV calmly half the time before bed (his bedtime) without him going non-stop until he just crashes.