You are here

I'm raising my stepson

Jamiecoleen's picture

My husband works in the pipeline industry which pretty much means he travels all the time for weeks at a time. We got married last March and a month later we found out his son was being mistreated by his bm. She walked out on him and he was just one at the time. My husband was really distant towards him for a long time because the BM was really vindictive and he worked pipeline so he knew he could never get a fair visitation schedule. He lived in ky and I lived in ohio. He decided after we got married to move to ohio to be with me and go down to see his son when it was time for visitation. The bms parents called me husband and said "either you get full custody of your son or we will." My husband went to ky courts and won full custody because she never showed up for court. Well, my ss came up to ohio to live with us and I'm the one raising him when my husband goes out of town. It is so overwhelming. I was just 21 when this all happened, ive never been around kids. He is so so behind in everything. He just turned 2 and can't talk, he is so clingy (because she use to let random people keep him over night), he's always sick ( he got staph and had to have half his butt cut off because she didn't get proper help for him). I've had him for 9 months now..and it just makes me so mad sometimes. The bm will from time to time wanting to see him and wants to come to his birthday party that I paid for and planned. My husbands family sees nothing wrong with this. The always say he deseves to know his mother -which I agree. But she isn't the one potty training him, holding him at night when he cries, etc. I just had a baby and having a two year old is so so so hard. Esp when my husband goes out of town for a week at a Tim. Any advice on what to do?

Jsmom's picture

Late husband had this since he was immunosuppressed the infection spread quickly. They took off so much of the muscle in his forearm, that he had to have skin graphs. If you do not treat an infection, this is what can happen. That pain for that baby had to have been horrible.

Jamiecoleen's picture

It was horrible. He had to stay in the hospital for a week because of it Sad I hate looking at it.

Jamiecoleen's picture

It would be a lot easier if he was here every night to help me. My ss is hitting his terrible twos and I have a colicky newborn ! Stressful right there. I feel like his bm got off so easy. She could just say here take him. I want to party and do drugs. But she can call him every few months and be like "how's mommys boy doing ?" At what point do you say how can she love him ? I don't consider her his MOM anymore. Being a mother is a lot more than just giving birth to a kid. She hasn't even kept him by herself or seen him for more than 30 mins in almost 10 months.

Jamiecoleen's picture

I'm in a weird situation. Whenever his bm comes calling and trying to see him, I feel a little anger because she hasn't made any attempt to be anything in his life when I'm stressed to the max taking care of him. I'm always like yeah she should see him and whatever but a part of my feels like she doesn't deserve it. Anyone that can go months with calling about your son or the fact that she didn't show up to the custody hearing when she only lived 10 mins from the court house is nothing in my eyes. My ss doesn't even know her when she does see him. It's so frustrating. My husband sure doesn't make it better.