You are here

I don't show any support...

thejoke2's picture

This is the first time I'm posting, and need some opinions. I'll try to be objective because I want honest answers. I divorced in 2000 and remarried in 2004. I have 4 children, my new husband has 2. His oldest son had already stopped contact. His daughter moved in with us for two years and then went back to live with her mother. She has no contact now for the past 2 years. My oldest is now 22 and married, my second is 21 and married, and I still have two home, ages 16 and 14. My husband has yet to eat a meal with us, as the kids "eat like pigs", and he claims he can't get through a meal without making a comment. I come home from work, and just about every day listen to what the boys did wrong. He makes all the rules and doesn't engage in any activity they are interested in. He expects them to say goodnight every night or they lose TV for the next night. After dinner they wash up, and go to their rooms (as if they are being punished (I think just to avoid any contact). They can't have any friends over, unless they follow his rules....no talking loud, no laughing, no running, no eating (we can't feed the neighbors!). We have security cameras at the front of the house (he's so parenoid that someone might touch or come close to his car). There's a big screen TV in the living room...no one is allowed to touch it. He micromanages every chore the kids have. Today I lost it...the first thing I heard was that the sticks in the yard weren't picked up (to his standards) so he could mow the lawn. The boys got an hour lecture on how I get mad because they can't do their chores and I don't back him up. They do their chores, but he can't even talk to them in a decent tone of voice. He does the same thing with me. He can talk for an hour and I can listen, but if the subject changes to something I want to discuss, it's changed or he starts on the computer. The TV is always on in the house, to drown out the voices of anyone talking (at least that's what my perception is). I've lived for the past 6 years like I'm walking on eggshells, have approached him several times about counseling..tried it once...and he hasn't committed to going back. He was the reason my older children left the house as soon as they could. He has no other family and I try to see his point of view, but at what expense? I feel like I'm letting my children down. They have leave the house whenever they can and then listen to the lecture on how all they do is "play".....there bedrooms (or should I say the room the are allowed to stay in..it's not their house (that's what they are told)) are immaculate, they have to fold towels a certain way, wipe down the shower when the are done...and the list goes on. Anyone have any advice..I hate to think that I can't make a second marriage work.

thejoke2's picture

Why do I feel like I have to keep giving him chances to change? I really can't expect that can I? I'm crying right now..because the words from the two posts above just verify exactly what I should do, but I'm afraid of the confrontation...he won't let me get a word in. He has to control the conversation or when he calms down..makes me "promise I'll never leave him" "I'm all he has". I do feel sorry for him...why?

roseslady2's picture

:jawdrop: You know your husband does sound very off base, but I am not ever going to tell someone that they should divorce. He sounds like he's a lot like my hubby, so I have to hold out hope. The thing that I keep rereading is that you said "he's paranoid". Has he ever done any counselling? Any mental illness in his family? This sounds a lot like bipolar disorder and OCD. I do think that medication and behavior therapy can help, if he's willing. You may want to write him a letter so that ther is no conversation and he has to hear your side. You feel sorry for him because you're married to him. 2 become one.. that means that he's part of you. You want to help him.

My experience is that about 80% of people don't understand mental illness and will be very judgemental and pushy of their opinions. Believe me, I've been there. If you need someone to talk to, shoot me a message. There is a time to leave, but you need to make sure that you're following the right "when". Most "jerks" actually do have a chemical imbalance of some kind. BM over here says that her marriage to my DH was very very different. Once he was medicated, it's like he became a different man. Hold out hope, the m an you fell in love with may be in there still.

marissamae88's picture

When you make the choice to have kids their safety because more important then you feeling sorry for this man. They are being damaged by this mad. If you cant see it I will see it for you. HE IS DAMAGING YOUR CHILDREN! Why are you worried about a confrontation? Just pick up stuff and your kids and go. My mom stayed with men like this my whole life and it does make your children suffer. Go before its makes your kids resent you.

thejoke2's picture

I have written long letters, with articles from web pages on stepparenting, to verbal abuse and mental illness. He takes it all as a personal attack. He feels like it's always him that's wrong. I know it takes two, but like I said, my children are (in my opinion) suffering. He wrote a long nasty letter to my oldest son because a mother's day card wasn't in the mailbox on mother's day. I wouldn't dream of doing or saying some of the things he has said to my children. It's downright demeaning and nasty. I keep telling myself that God must have a plan, and that maybe it's to understand him and help him through his problems..in the meantime, he's causing mental health issues with my children. He just blames it on them. He doesn't understand that just the tone of his voice when he talks to them is insulting. I've heard from "your lazy" "fat" "useless" to more. What child doesn't take those things to heart? He tells them they have to earn his respect. They've done nothing to unearn it...but he tells them all the time they haven't earned his respect...yet expects respect! He doesn't have to earn it. Sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with another child.

thejoke2's picture

Have to go now..he's done mowing the lawn...and "I'm playing". Sad I appreciate all your support and honest opinions. I guess I just didn't want to face the truth.

marissamae88's picture

If any man were to call my children (i dont have any but when I do) fat, stupid, lazy or any of the above I would never look back. I dont know why your still there! Shame on you for hearing those things and not standing up for your children. They are half of you and your supposed to protect them.