You are here

Help quick, holiday approaching

Jmom's picture

I'm new to this site and it's my little secret. I need somewhere for advice and to vent from time to time and I think I found it. Please forgive me for any spelling or grammar errors I'm sort of in a hurry and need advice quick. Here goes. . .

A little background info. I'm BM to an 11 year old boy and SM to 11 year old girl. Hubby and I dated for 7 years and married a few months ago. BM got the divorce in absentia knowing full well where he was but everything has to be her way. So she got sole custody and visistation is all over the place. Basically we have his daughter every weekend and almost every holiday. I have even had her daughter on Mother's Day Wink BM takes no time for her kid. If she's not with us she's with the neighbors (during the week).

Here's the problem this week. BM decided that she doesn't want to be bothered Thanksgiving week so she's sending SD11. Hubby was told to pick her up Friday after school and not bring her back until the Sunday night before school starts back. The kids get a week off for Thanksgiving and Hubby and I are only off Thurs and Friday. He thinks the kids should stay home alone Mon - Wed. We both have good jobs and plenty of time we can take off from work so I suggested we work the days off between the two of us. I am not comfortable leaving two 11 year olds home alone. Granted my son spends a couple of hours alone after school until we get home from work and his daughter is left home alone all the time at BM's house. In my opinion they need supervision. For the most part they get along but sometimes his daughter can be aloof and while she's an angel in front of him I've seen some disrespectful behavior from her that of course he doesn't believe. I know this is going to be a huge arguement because in his mind I'm saying his precious can not be left alone in our home when my son can. Please help. I need some advice and I have to get this conversation done with him fast. Let me know if I need to provide further details.

PS. I just yelled downstairs and asked him what days he decided to take off next week and he said he had not decided yet. UGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Jmom's picture

Thanks Echo. I just read your bio and all the advice you give is much appreciated. I've just started to travel the road you've traveled. I didn't grow up with the shades drawn and I know that this is a very curious age for both of our kids. It boggles my mind that he just dismisses everything with "they are just kids". I am an over protective mom and while my son is not perfect he's perfectly normal for his age, SO daughter on the other hand has a therapist (I'm sorry they call her a "mentor") LOL. I have even caught her exploring herself a couple times, if you know what I mean. I'm sure my son does too but he's smart enough to shut the door. If I have to take all 3 of days off myself to prove a point I will. In my opinion if he didn't want to take the days off he should have left her with her mother. The same thing is going to happen at Christmas when the kids get 2 weeks off from school.

Jmom's picture

If I have to bite the bullet and take all 3 days off so be it. I can not in good conscience (did I spell that right) leave them home alone.

youngmama1b1g's picture

There's gotta be some people you can get to go look in on them... or set up a video camera with a good view of the whole house }:)

i wouldn't leave any kids home alone that close in age- they'll fight over whos in charge the whole time.

3terriers's picture

Two 11 years olds cannot be home alone together. Do what you need to so they have supervision.