You are here

Has anyone chosen to Disengage from the Court Drama?

HadEnoughx5's picture

I have been working on disengaging from the skids. Some of you read my earlier posts recently about my DH getting back to me in a week. Well the week has come and gone...nothing. Matter of fact a few days ago I gave my DH a perfect example of why I wrote the letter to him in first place, here it is...

During a dinner out with SS, SS asked me if he could have the order of french fries for my BS, if he chose not to eat them (I was bringing them home to him). I said well if you wanted some fries we could order you some. My DH says in front of SS to me "we should not be encouraging him to eat that type of food, with his cholesterol"

I thought to myself "he's right, french fries are not good for him" but in reality, SS was sitting there eating a pile of cheddar cheese from the salad bar along with eggs and processed ham.

The next morning, I'm in the kitchen and I see a container of sugar cookies with frosting over them. 1 cookie had 5 grams of fat; 2.5 of saturated fat and 5 grams of cholesterol. So I said to DH...you repremand me in front of your son because I offered french fries to him during dinner and then less than an hour later you are at the grocery store buying him sugar cookies because he wants them. Then you wonder why I wrote such a letter and gave you a copy of the disengageing essay. Because...these are not my kids, I have no authority and you will never raise them the way I think they should be raised.

It was a huge wake up call to me!

Well, now DH and BM are back in court and I'm finding this to be more stress than it's worth. BM is representing herself and I know she will call me as a witness, and I'll have choice but to testify. Has anyone out there just chosen not to get involved with the stickyness of the details of their arguements? If you have, how have you dealt with it?

Jsmom's picture

I did not get involved with any of the court stuff. I stayed out of all of the mess. I gave my opinion when something came up and told him what I was prepared to do in the event we got full custody of the kids. SS could come but SD I was moving out.

Do not get involved and it truly makes you happier and him more relieved. I finally decided I had to be the one he didn't have to worry about...

z3girl's picture

I agree with Jsmom. I gave an occasional opinion on court matters, but I wouldn't repeat myself or make sure DH followed through. I wanted to be the only woman in DH's life who didn't give him a hard time. I didn't entirely agree with everything he did, but at least things were good between us. If I ever saw any legal documents in the mail I'd try to be a little extra nice that day, but I wouldn't bring anything up unless he did. Glad it's over with (for now!). We're HOPING to start emancipation paperwork rolling a year from now!