You are here

Halloween Hangover

papayag's picture

So SD6's school was off today and her mom dropped her off just before lunch for the week. Turns out she had a sleepover last night with her friend. Unfortunately we didn't know and grandparents made plans to take her bowling as a special treat. She was tired to say the least and basically fell apart during the bowling so they took her home after one round.

On the way out she went past the gift shop and saw something she wanted. Grandparents wouldn't buy it for her, she started screaming "you are supposed to be the grandparents not the parents", wouldn't get in the car until they threatened to leave without her, screamed the whole way home "I want it now".

I sent her to her room and talked to the grandparents. Unprovoked she wrote an apology note and counted up the money in her room to try to see if she could buy the toy in question herself. (Ahem, not likely to happen any time soon with a performance like that)...

Sigh.

So what I'm curious is, what do you all do if stepkids come over totally strung out from an action packed disneylike weekend at the other house? Would you ever ask them for a heads-up if a sleepover/party is happening so you don't make big plans with family?

I know it was dumb to plan something the day after Halloween, but there have been other occasions where she is really tired out after an insane weekend at her Mom's and has gone nuclear, moreso when she was younger though, this was a weird one. I think she thought she could bully her grandparents... she has obviously been successful somewhere with whining to take it that far. Not here...

Hope everyone's Halloween hangovers haven't been too painful.

JRI's picture

I''m glad the grandparents handled it so well.  Many of us cave in.  Lol.  At least, she wrote tbe apology note unprovoked.

Lifer33's picture

Is bm also letting her stay up late before she comes to you?

We had similar going on for years, terrible behaviour because ss was worn out. He'd be allowed to go to ridiculous stuff like mma fights and stay up until midnight for example.

We found a simple solution, one day when he'd lost his mind and craft stuff all over living room dh simply took him back to bm.  He then emailed her saying if you're going to keep him up and let him go to crazy stuff the night before, don't bother sending him.

It all stopped and now she does message dh if he might be going somewhere /do we want to swap days etc 

papayag's picture

Yes, she stays up late or has sleepovers and that kind of thing. That's a smart way to approach it but I am not sure in this case that doing that would "click"... somehow its always our fault.

papayag's picture

Best was when she got her ears pierced and dropped her off at our house for a week less than 12 hours later....not!!

tog redux's picture

My SS would always come over exhausted and sleep for hours when he got here.  We just expected it. You can't control what BM does, so just don't plan anything important on the first day back to your home.