You are here

Further to my family gathering post...

talia11's picture

Some of you may have read my post here http://www.steptalk.org/node/85548

So I have today decided not to go to the family gathering. My MIL told me today DH's extended family will be there (who I can't stand) and after much thought and discussion with my mum, I told DH all the reasons I don't want to go, main being I don't want to drive the whole way on my own with out DD3, and that I think it is a good opportunity for him to spend time with his kids and family, puls I don't want to be around his neices who have been fueling my SS15's bullshit. DH said he doesn't mind either way.

godess-clueless's picture

These occassional family gatherings happen with my DH and his family. It is nice that at least you were invited. But every invitation does not have to be accepted. There are times when the hassle of going are not worth the bother.

This past summer my DH was invited to a baby shower/picnic for one of his grandaughters. The gathering was held at a local park. The guests consisted of his ex, his daughters and all their children and friends. None of these people have made any effort to visit us in over 5 years.

For me it did not seem worth the inconvenience of my finding someone to watch my dog, or to board him for the day. I was not going to take the dog and leave him to sit in the back of my van. I have not had contact with the people for years and the young children I once knew are teens and adults that are now strangers to me. I just said I was not traveling for 3 hours to spend the day in 90 degree heat with strangers.

DH spent almost 7 hours driving that day. He attended the party. Said the food consisted of sloppy joes which he hates. and some kind of chip dip in crock pots. It was a chance to see his kids and grandkids and people who are total strangers. He was not introduced but he thought the guy his grandaughter was hanging out with was probably the baby daddy. Since DH is retired it gave him something to do for the day. For me the ordeal of hours driving for this event was not worthwhile.
I prefered to stay home and do housework. I would have just mailed the gift card. After all it is not likely I will ever see or know the child.

talia11's picture

Great story! I really just can't be bothered and being close to christmas I will see them all anyway so I figure I can stay home for the weekend with my DD3 and hang out with mum. I forgot about the dog so another good reason lol!!