You are here

For the educators around here .. is skipping Kindergarten a good idea?

SMof2Girls's picture

BM seems to think that SD5 is smart enough to skip Kindergarten. She will have to have an evaluation done by the school and all before any of it can seriously be considered as a viable option .. but I'm just wondering if any of you have had experience with this?

SD5 is normal-sized (they say that can be a factor when kids skip grades), but she can be overly sensitive to criticism. She can read some basic sight words, but is no where near picking up a book and reading cover to cover on her own. Part of it is laziness, part of it is shying away from a challenge. SD7 is the exact opposite, and was tackling books above her reading level at this age.

She's always received good marks in her pre-school classes, but still has areas for improvement as well.

I don't know much about jumping grades, but I know BM will push to make this happen .. here's hoping the evaluation is thorough enough to really base a solid decision on.

Sweet T's picture

My son just graduated kindergarten, he will be 6 mid July. I would never have wanted him to skip kindergarten, he is smart and was almost reading when he started but with in 2 months read at a first grade level. I think they learn like 80- some sight words over the course of the year basic adding subtracting, money ect. A great deal of it is about socialization and following the rules/behavior.

IMO skipping kindergarten would be a horrible mistake.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

I've never heard of such a thing, but than again, I'm not an educator. Smile It just sounds odd to me.

Elizabeth's picture

I don't think skipping kindergarten is a good idea. They learn SO many basics there that they use for years to come. That being said, my oldest BD just skipped 3rd grade. By the end of kindergarten she was reading several grade levels above and was accepted into her school's gifted program. We had her assessed and she was already at knowing 49% of the math and something like 80+% of the reading she would learn in 3rd grade. It was a tough year getting her far enough along in math, but she got As and Bs the entire year so I know it was the right decision. There was a lot of new testing, reviewing previous testing, even reviewing her gifted testing results before the school decided to allow her to advance, so hopefully your school will be as rigorous.

Shaman29's picture

I believe kindergarten sets up a true classroom structure to prepare kids for grades 1-12.

I've never heard of a school system that has approved of skipping this basic step.

SMof2Girls's picture

I've never heard of it, but BM swears she talked to the administrators and they said this is something they would consider following appropriate evaluations.

DH is dead set against it for the same reasons all of you are .. but sometimes I need a gut check to make sure it's a legit refusal, or just disagreeing with BM for the sake of disagreeing with BM .. kwim?

amber3902's picture

Kindergarten today is what first grade used to be like. It's waaaaaay more than just learning how to stand in line and doing puzzles. When my DD was in kindergarten they were teaching them sight words and simple math problems.

No way would I tell a parent to let their kid skip kindergarten. They learn a lot in that grade.

HungryEyes's picture

I don't know even know if it's legal to skip kindergarten and yes - it's very different now. They learn so much in kindergarten.

ej'scrazy's picture

Bad idea-on so many levels. While she may do well on her own, k5 teaches more than just academics. Yes, she will learn to read and write, and do math, but they learn social skills that are life-long skills.

That said, most schools will not test for 'gifted' until they are finishing 1st grade! This is done to give the child time to adjust. DH's ex pushed for early testin (they caved after months of emails/calls/meetings) and skid missed being put into the program by 3 'points,' and cannot be tested again. If she is bright, give her time to mature, and allow her to do her best. If BM is pushing for it to happen, dh should request that it not happen. Sad to say, but that may be enough for the school to question BM.

SMof2Girls's picture

DH will definitely challenge it, and if BM insists on pushing for it he will contact the school directly and let them know that he does not approve of the advancement. They have a custody agreement in place and all decisions like this would be joint. She can't make this decision without his consent.

sam44's picture

Many apparently bright children actually 'regress to the mean' during this time. They seem like they're gifted because their language development is accelerated and they learn to read early but very often their peers catch up and as they are required to learn in a more structured way, they lose that 'edge'. SD's school will be well aware of this and I would be very surprised if they even entertained the thought of her skipping Kindergarten unless, as another poster suggested, the testing reveals she is a genius.

SMof2Girls's picture

She's smart and I love her .. but I seriously doubt she's at a genius level .. only her mother would really see it that way Wink

stressed-mom's picture

In MI, I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but they are gradually moving the age up to begin kindergarten. So the kids entering will be older than the years before. I know that my school district is offering a sort of "test out" of kindergarten for students. I really think this is a bad idea, as I do agree that kindergarten is their first steps in socialization. Good social skills and behavior, and just knowing what is expected of them will make a big impact on all of their schooling. IMO, whether they are Einstein or not, not being properly socialized with other students, teachers, and just the all around school life, will not help them long term.

SMof2Girls's picture

Thanks for all the responses. I do agree with all of you .. I personally think it's a bad idea, and so does DH. Since this isn't my decision, I just wanted to get a feel if this was truly a bad idea, or if it's just another thing to fight BM about.

I'm not 100% sure that the school will actually allow her to skip the grade. BM said that because SD5 has a late birthday (October), they will test her and see if she's ready to advance; but this won't occur until 5-6 weeks into the school year. It all seems odd to me. I'm okay with kids advancing grades, but why not wait until she's at the 2nd or 3rd grade level?

The school won't give DH much information at this point since skids aren't even technically enrolled there yet, so we're not sure how/where BM even got the info she did.

learningallthetime's picture

BS6 just graduated kindergarten. He was actually accepted for early entrance into kindergarten but we did not do it. He is small, and we figured when sports become important for him - size will be important. So, he is smart. He just graduated kindergarten. He learned a lot. He could read etc before, but he has learned in terms of social interaction, listening and even just the different personalities of different people. He has learned to sit, listen, that mommy and daddy (separate households) are not always there to hold his hand. He has learned to compare and what he is good at versus what he is not (I firmly believe this is an important life lesson). He has 4 older siblings so is used to interaction, but interacting with kids his own age has made a huge difference to his confidence - he has much more.

In terms of learning, he tries much harder than before school. He is something of a math genius (he can add, subtract, multiply and divide in his head, even with pretty complex numbers). This is his talent - he talks about "seeing numbers in his head". This is probably from me - I can recite every credit card number, bank account number and social security of several people (fun to freak people out in banks!). Just because they have a talent does not mean they do not need to be around kids their age. I have a friend who skipped 3 years in total through school (genius!) who failed out at university as socially could not cope! At 15 a 12 year old is very different and kids are cruel.

SMof2Girls's picture

That's very insightful .. thank you!

I guess at the end of the day, these kids have their whole lives to be adults and work and what-not. Why short them a year of their childhood? Even if SD5 is smart enough to skip, what difference does one year make in the long run? Best case scenario she graduates one year early and is otherwise socially adjusted and prepared. Worst case? Well, I think several of you have made valid points on how bad it COULD be ..