You are here

Court ordered medical coverage for a kid who already has it...

Stpma's picture

It seems like we can never really win. We had our C.S. modified last year and ex w has always taken care of medical coverage. We get a notice in the mail saying DH needs to provide med coverage for ss, if available, and that this coverage plus C.S. can eat up no more than 50% of his income :jawdrop: In the paperwork it says that even if the child doesn't live in coverage area (he doesn't) or may be eligible for medicaid (he would be eligible in our house) That he must still pay for said coverage... How is that even fair? they want us to pay $300 a month for med coverage for a child who only visits 7 weeks a year and if he lived here it would be covered by medicaid. I understand that children need medical coverage but I don't think the people that make these laws and enforce them look at the reality of the situation.

JustAnotherSM's picture

When my DH and BM were divorced about 18 years ago, DH was ordered to pay for mecical coverage for SS. Unfortunately, DH did not have insurance available thru his employer at the time so he paid BM the cost of her medical premiums on top of his CS payments. Is this an option for your DH?

Year later we went back to court and both parties were ordered to provide medical coverage. SS did not live in our coverage area, however my insurance did pay a portion of his medical bills so he did benefit from having multiple coverage.