You are here

"Comfortably" Numb

SadFairy's picture

There was a time when I knew being honest about my SS's behavior was detrimental to my marriage. It wasn't fair that I should have to feel so misunderstood and emotionally unsafe in my own home. So I started disengaging a few years ago. At this point I can honestly say I'm okay. If bad behavior isn't going to be addressed, or discouraged, I have found a place emotionally where I am absolutely not affected by it. This is a huge improvement from the emotional wreck I used to be, that was constantly frustrated, annoyed, and resentful.

This has resulted in a sort of stalemate between my SS and I. It's not ideal for anyone, but the ulterior, me a depressed basket case, isn't an option. My SS is going to grow up to be an adult I don't share values with, and that's okay. My H no longer puts unrealistic expectations on how I should feel. He appreciates that he has a good wife and marriage and has no complaints in that area. He accepts I'm just not going to wake up one day and feel like I birthed my SS. There's just too much, I hate to keep using the word emotional, but too much emotional scar tissue on my end.

Now that he realizes I'm not like the other adults in his life, and will get bent of shape over the things he says and does, my SS no longer goes out of his way to push my buttons. He's matured enough to stop negative attention seeking, at least from me. I'm just not accessible to him in that way, and probably not in any way beyond the superficial. I don't think this is right, but I know it's just the best I can do when I'm being completely honest with myself. Lately I've begun to wonder if being in the state of numbness can be improved? Is it possible to let the wall down just enough to be able to have some kind of relationship with this kid, or has that ship sailed?

Does anyone have experience disengaging, and then re-engaging at a later or safer time?

Toni49's picture

Some kids actually grow up and your tough love for him will make him a better person. You'll have to wait and see if the bridge can be rebuilt. I wish all the best!

3familiesIn1's picture

i could have written that word for word. I had a blog last week asking if there is any road back from disengagement. I don't know that I want to come back but like you said, its like numb. I disengaged from my SS a few years back now. He is 8 today. We have no relationship. He doesn't push my buttons either because there is no reaction from me for his bad behaviour anymore. i don't say anything.

However, its an odd state. for example, DH will ask him to read and not play on the PC, as soon as DH is out of pocket, he is back on the PC, right in front of me, he knows I don't count, I will not say anything etc, the minute DH reappears, he will grab his book and resume pretending to read.

This speaks volumes to the future...

I don't know if there is a road back, I have zero expectations of SS, he knows it. I will not share values with him once he is an adult either. I know he is only 8, but I also doubt I will have anything to do with his children when the times comes either.

I am not sure there is a way back or if I even want to find one.

SadFairy's picture

I hope that as well Toni. Thanks.

I'm sorry you feel this way too 3, but on the bright side, as a person who has disengaged you still have your sanity. It's a shame things have to go this way in order for there to be peace.