You are here

Anyone else in the same boat?

yeahwelluknow's picture

So I just contacted an attorney, because I was going to try to change my daughters name so that she wouldn't be different from the other members of the family. She still has my maiden name. She doesn't have contact with her Bio Dad but about 1 or 2 times a year for the past 2 years we get a check for a couple of weeks, we have been getting a check for $79.20 (One time along time ago I had an order for child support I have never received any great amount nor had it changed to what a current order would be.) Anyway.... So when I contacted the courts to see if I could do the name change myself decided I couldn't now I am faced with a dilemma.. Do I change her name $500 plus costs and because we live in 2 different states the costs would probably be around $500 so about $1000, or Adoption which means that he loses all parental rights no monies would ever be received from him ever again for $1200. My husband said that he would adopt her but right now a name change would be able to give her his name and she could still call him Dad but he would have to will her some of his estate if he wants her to have it, she is not "entitled" to it unless he wills it to her.. I am sure I have left stuff out and this is kind of rambling but is anyone else in this boat? I have 1 child from a previous relationship and now 2 step kids, I changed my name so now 4 of us have 1 name and she has a different name from everybody else. What did y'all do?