You are here

Am I the A*hole for Wanting More Alone Time?

Through thick and -spread- thin's picture

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new here and I'm seeking advice on parenting time scheduling conflicts. 

My SO (30m), has four children by two women. He has a son, 9, from his first marriage, and two daughters (8 and 6) and a second son (3) from his second marriage. He is still legally married to his second wife, and is pending a divorce.

There is no formal custody/parenting/support agreement with his first ex-wife, BM1, regarding his oldest child. They are relatively cordial and handle matters between them (mostly) satisfactorily without the Court’s intervention. Of course, it’s not all rainbows and sunshine, but it’s ok.

Then there’s the second wife… SO filed for divorce a year ago, and the matter is still pending, and it is a contentious situation. One source of contention is how parenting time should be decided. SO works 4 days on and 2 days off, from 6 AM to 2 PM, and I work a normal M-F 8-4 gig. With his 4 on 2 off rotation, SO only gets one typical weekend (a Saturday and Sunday, combined) off every six weeks, and that’s assuming the one weekend doesn’t fall on his National Guard weekends. It sucks, and a lot of this issue could be mitigated if he had a normal M-F job, I’m sure...I think.

SO’s second (soon-to-be) ex-wife, BM2, works as driver for Grub Hub. This allows a decent amount of flexibility in her schedule. I’m not sure how much she actually works, as she has never provided (nor has been asked for) paystubs. She once told me that she makes ~$30/hour, so who knows what her financial situation looks like.

Earlier this year, before parenting time could be hammered out by attorneys, I expressed my concern to SO about how he is expected to have all of his children during the entirety of his days off from work, leaving no time for him to pick up any overtime, and no time without obligations/responsibilities on his scheduled days off. My request was that he just allot for one day/night during his 2 days off to be able to do what he wants/we want to do. He verbally agreed at the time and demonstrated that he felt the request was reasonable and possible.

In theory, I was hoping the schedule to look something like this:

Monday – work 1st of 4 rotation;
Tuesday – work 2nd of 4 rotation and have kids in the evening until 8:30 PM;
Wednesday – work 3rd of 4 rotation;
Thursday – work 4th of 4 rotation and have kids stay the night;
Friday – off from work and kids stay until 8:30 PM that evening, until being dropped back off to their mothers;
Saturday – he is off work and free to work overtime/run errands/take a trip/have adult alone, quality time, whatever;
Sunday – back to work to begin the 4-day rotation.

This (ideal) parenting schedule would ensure that he has at least one overnight with them every six days, and they’d still spend three or four days and/or evenings in our care. (Keep in mind, the oldest three children are in school and the youngest stays home). The 8:30 PM drop off would allow homework to be done and dinner to be fed before returning to their mothers’. I felt this was fair considering how much child support he’d have to pay to BM2. Maybe this idea of “fairness” was my first mistake.

In reality, the schedule currently plays out like such:

Monday – work 1st of 4 rotation, pick up oldest child from school and have him until ~6 PM;
Tuesday – work 2nd of 4 rotation, pick up three oldest kids from school and then pick up youngest from BM2’s, and have all kids in the evening until he drops them off to their mothers’ at 8:30 PM;
Wednesday – work 3rd of 4 rotation, pick up oldest child from school and have him until ~6 PM;
Thursday – work 4th of 4 rotation, pick up three oldest kids from school and then pick up youngest from BM2's, and have all kids stay the night;
Friday – off from work and all kids stay the night;
Saturday – off from work and all kids are with us until 8:30 PM that evening, until being dropped back off to their mothers;
Sunday – back to work to begin the 4-day rotation.

This allows no time to himself/ourselves, except for a couple of evenings during the work week, from ~6 PM to bedtime. I logically understand that this concept of “alone time” is not something that would naturally occur if we shared these children or if he had primary custody of them, so I partially feel ungrateful that I’m complaining when we at least have a couple of evenings alone.

On the flip side, I know that these children’s mothers’ (more so BM2 than BM1, as BM1 has two other small children besides SO’s oldest child) get time to themselves to do whatever their heart’s content, often times for 50 plus consecutive hours. For example, SO had all of his children from 4:30 PM on Friday, 11/24, until 9:00 PM on Sunday, 11/26. This was not due to it being a holiday weekend, it was just because of his normal work rotation schedule. So BM2 had 52.5 hours, the ENTIRE weekend, to do whatever she wanted, with no obligations/responsibilities. I hope she utilized the time to work, but who knows.

Although SO originally agreed to the parenting time arrangement I proposed, he flipped the script on me one day without warning. He and BM2 had already had quite a few arguments about the idea of him not having the kids the entire time he is off of work, and I felt like he just caved into her pressure. His reasoning was, “I don’t think it’ll be that bad. I have vacation time from work that we can use to do stuff together, alone.” I was crushed, confused, and felt like he chose to appease her just to keep the peace. Her reasoning was that the proposed schedule left her no time to work. Not sure exactly how that math checks out but whatever.

Now, anytime SO wants/needs to work overtime during his 2 days off (which is not very often, although he could really use the extra funds), I am left to watch the kids, as he doesn’t want to rock any boats with BM1 or BM2, and he would much rather just “figure it out on his own” and not rely on his exes for assistance with childcare during his scheduled parenting time. Part of me is ok with this idea of being alone with the kids while he works, as I want to be a team player in our relationship and want to be a partner to him. However, I made conscious choices throughout my life that ensured that I did not have children to raise. I went as far as having my tubes tied at age 30, and here I am 2.5 years later, with 4 kids who I feel partially responsible for and no authority over what happens with them.

I’m willing to help with the kids, even if I don’t necessarily love being a babysitter. But now I’m feeling as if I’m almost being taken advantage of, as the parenting time schedule I originally proposed (and that SO agreed to) was blatantly disregarded. Why should I be so willing to bend my work schedule or use my time off from work, be responsible for providing transportation/care to these kids so that he can work overtime, when he wasn’t willing to give me one day of his two days off?

I’m willing to provide more context if it’d help with any advice I could get. I don’t know if I’m the a*hole here or not, and I’d like to figure it out asap. Of course, my therapist told me that I knew what I was getting into with this relationship and that I need to basically just let him do whatever he pleases, and my wants/desires are essentially irrelevant. I’ve tried to adopt that attitude, but I’m really struggling with feeling like BM2’s/BM1's time/desires are more important to SO than mine are.

Please help.

-Through Thick & (Spread) Thin

TLDR: I asked my man to have a parenting time schedule that allows him one day a week without having to work or have his children. At first, he agreed, despite his ex's objections. But then he decided one day that he would comply with her demands, and my request for one day alone with him was null and void. Now I'm expected to provide childcare whenever he wants to work overtime that conflicts with his scheduled parenting time, and I'm wondering if I'm being taken advantage of (considering I asked that he have one day off without them), or if I'm just an a*hole that shouldn't feel entitled to a luxury of time without the kids while he's off work. 

Harry's picture

Is working a non traditional job. Off on all weekends. He can not expect the whole world to make accommodation for him.  He needs to get a new job. Where he's off in the weekends. So a real schedule can be made, EOWN. Every weekend. 
'Just reading your blog about his work schedual gave me a head ache.  Can't imagine the ex any ex. Going along with this 

Hi Harry, 

Thanks for your input. Yes, the 4/2 rotation is a hot mess, I completely agree. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that a normal M-F would alleviate the main issue though, which is that he's expected to have the children during his entire time off from work. I think a M-F would mean that we just work all week and have the kids the entire weekend, which also isn't ideal. But maybe a normal schedule would allow for more negotions to be made with the ex. 

But is my desire to have just one off day alone with him unreasonable? Because if I'm being unreasonable in that request, then I'd like to work on whatever internal issues I have to try to fix this. 

Thanks again, Harry.

-TTAST

Winterglow's picture

It's not your job to provide childcare for his kids. They're there to spend time with their father NOT to give their mother some time off. Therefore, if he isn't there, they should be with their mother.

And no it's not unreasonable to want to spend time with your partner. Parents in intact families arrange for date nights, why should you settle for less?

This will lead to just him not working overtime, which may just have to be the solution. He is already less than willing to rearrange time with BM2 due to a recent event that took place in which we had a wedding to attend. We had a babysitter lined up, but because of the "first right to refusal" rule, we offered the kids to their mothers'. The wedding/babysitter proposal was mentioned to BM2 more than a month prior to the wedding, but she waited until the day prior to say that she wanted to keep them instead of us getting a babysitter, which was fine by me. But here's how it played out:

Thursday, he worked his last day of his rotation, and the kids stayed with us overnight, per usual. 
Friday, kids went to their mothers' for the evening/overnight so that we could attend the wedding, in lieu of them being watched by a babysitter (as insisted by BM2).  
Saturday, he was off from work, he picked the kids up in the morning and kept them all day, with the understanding that he'd drop them back off to BM2 at 8:30 PM, as he had to work at 6 AM on Sunday.

Well, Saturday night rolled around, and he took the children to BM2's... and she was MIA. She never showed. So we took them home to spend the night with us, and we dropped them off to her at 5:15 AM on Sunday. 

This was an act of vindication, but of course, under the guise of "she had to work" because she didn't have Friday night to work. She could've worked - we had a babysitter lined up. She just chose not to. 

Not to mention that both of their daughters had fevers and were clearly ill, of which he informed BM2 about at 6:45 PM on Sunday, and received no response.

It's this game of chess that I have a hard time tolerating. 

Sorry to rant. I sincerely appreciate your input, Winterglow. <3

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Girl run. This guy doesn't have time to be in a relationship. He needs a babysitter more than he needs a partner, whether he knows it or not. You went to great lengths to ensure you would not be saddled with childcare. Now you are considering being the free babysitter to TWO women for kids that aren't even yours? And trust me, stepkids are all the work with little of the joy of parenting.

My SO also has 4 kids by 2 BMs. 3/4 of his are grown, though, and 2 live out of state. BUT - i have had to spend a lot of time and energy to not be a free babysitter (to SO's nephews and nieces too but that's another story.) And 5 years in, my SO and i have actually moved backwards as far as time together and alone time. To me, it's ok, as i have kids of my own and one of them needs a lot of attention right now. But for you? It seems this is a case of hammering a square peg into a round hole.

Your SO's life is consumed with juggling young kids, BMs, a chaotic job with odd hours, and the National Guard. And one of the kids is a toddler!! There is no alone time with this guy. There won't be for at least a decade. His life is the exact opposite of the child-free life you underwent SURGERY to create for yourself. 

la_dulce_vida's picture

It sounds like a case of extreme incompatibility.

Take it from us, these problems will not magically disappear when the kids reach 18.

If you feel that strongly about not having kids, you should be in a relationship with a man who either doesn't have kids or works a normal job with every other weekend visitation (EOW).

You're not going to be able to wave a magic wand and turn this sh*tshow into something that gets your needs met.

Rags's picture

Serially breeding with two BMs in failed marriages sucking you in to cover his visitation time.

Nope, find a quality parter and dump this multiple failed marriage POS non man, failed father, failed husband, who is failing as your partner.

Take care of you. Value you, he certainly does not beyond being his beck and call child care provider.

Nea

CLove's picture

This is a very common scenario.

My big suggestion is to read around here, read the blogs, do searches and see what everyone who comes here eventually learns:

1. its ok to not want kids and its ok to not want to help someone else parent their kids, no is a complete sentence.

2. Hes separated not divorced - it WILL get uglier as things progress, do not expect things to settle down at all.

3. This may not be the man for you long-term. You have been conscripted to be the free child care after you TIED YOUR TUBES. They are all still young. Im 10 years in this. There are others who can tell you after 60 years it still did not get better. 

So - really think if this is the relationship for you.

Harry's picture

And spouse support to two different woman. You are not inky babysitter his kids but also paying for them.  He can not have the money to live after two sets of kids.  There will always be tge need for exter money.  4 kids and can't find a real Monday  to Friday job. He can't take care of his kids now.  Do you want kids?  This man should work out his life before getting some woman [you] to help him. Bad look.. He can't get CO. For his first kid. Second he can't get divorced.  What can he do..  step aside until the dust settles.  Divorce is finial. Money is straten  out.  You stop being used